Diagnostic help

Hello, im looking for a bit of advice regarding an issue that has come up on my 2014 VFR, a few days ago I was stopped at an intersection and I noticed the TC and engine lights had come on, power was a bit down on take off and it sputtered a bit, later that day after work, no lights, next morning as I was taking it in to get checked, same issue, but it actually stalled a few times on take off, the dealer checked it out and was unable to fail for three days before they managed to get a fault code for the front wheel speed sensor. TL;DR the symptoms I experienced don't seem to me to be a result from a wheel speed sensor, but more like a TPS, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and may have a solution, also the dealer has quoted me two hours to change the sensor, seems excessive, anyone sure if that is actually how long it takes? Sorry for the long post but I felt context was needed, thanks in advance for the advice.

• Member Contributer

Did the engine Fi light just come on or did it flash a fault code? I guess that if there was an issue with a wheel sensor this could trigger an issue with traction control as a difference in speed between front and rear wheel.

Try running your bike for a few days with Traction Conrol switched off, see what happens. Eight short flashes of the Fi light would indicate a TPS issue.

Bet there's been a few chilly days in Canberra of late, what is the state of your battery, makes sure it's ok.

Lets know how you get on.

Both lights were solid not flashing, did seem to clear themselves after the ignition was switched off, unfortunately i am without my bike right now since the wheel speed Sensor is on back order (3week wait for the part) so I can't really test that, I'm more concerned about the stalling and stuttering on take off than anything else, thus why I took it into the dealer, battery is fairly new only about 8 months old, running the same as factory, never really had an issue with the cold weather though, last year no problems.

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, M0T0RIDER3737 said:

Both lights were solid not flashing, did seem to clear themselves after the ignition was switched off, unfortunately i am without my bike right now since the wheel speed Sensor is on back order (3week wait for the part) so I can't really test that, I'm more concerned about the stalling and stuttering on take off than anything else, thus why I took it into the dealer, battery is fairly new only about 8 months old, running the same as factory, never really had an issue with the cold weather though, last year no problems.

Keep us posted. Hope it's not too long before getting your bike back, your problem sure is an interesting one.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Update for those interested, had the bike back for a couple of days now, no issues so far (which is nice) and am cautiously optimistic that it has been fixed, though still a little stumped as to how a wheel speed sensor was causing stuttering and stalling, but he if it's fixed, it's fixed. Also for future reference how are codes checked on the 8th Gens? I'm guessing flash codes as the diagnostic plug I have seen only has four pins.

The sensor may of been interfering with the TCS system. The broken sensor telling the computer that the wheel is spinning, and TCS cutting power resulting in the engine being starved and stalling?

On the few occasions the TC has activated on mine the engine felt like it was stalling, wondered what was going on. Worked out it was the TC the next time it happened. I now turn it off unless its wet.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, PetePower said:

On the few occasions the TC has activated on mine the engine felt like it was stalling, wondered what was going on. Worked out it was the TC the next time it happened. I now turn it off unless its wet.

+1...

On 28 June 2018 at 11:15 PM, Shwat said:

The sensor may of been interfering with the TCS system. The broken sensor telling the computer that the wheel is spinning, and TCS cutting power resulting in the engine being starved and stalling?

Now that I think about it, that does make a lot of sense, cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Archived