Depressed 94 VFR owner...what to do.

I have had my '95 for 7 years.  It is probably for me the best and most satisfying bike I have ever owned.  I have been a sport bike guy for years and 3 of my last 5 bikes have been gsxr1000's.  I still own a gsxr1000 and if I had to sell that or the vfr, I would sell the gsxr. 

The  forks are easy to pull apart.  The bodywork comes off quickly and easily making most maintenance fairly easy.  If the tires have been off the ground and out of the sun when stored then unless you are doing track days or are an aggressive street rider, they'll be fine.  Keep the bike! 

• Member Contributer

I'll also add that as the last of the carb'd V-4's there are no FI lights to sift codes from, no mysterious problems with sensors, etc, no Power Commander needed and few if any electrical gremlins.  Those things just run and run if maintained well.  Honda got the carbs on those exactly right - unless I lived at high altitude I wouldn't mess with them.  They're wonderful bikes that are straighforward for the average person to maintain.  My only beef with my 4th gen were the softly sprung and under-damped forks - too much dive for my taste even under moderate braking.  It was a comfy ride, but if pushed too hard in corners the suspension would yell "no mas".  If I had another one I'd have the suspension re-done by Jamie Daugherty to sportify the cornering - and maybe add an 8 spoke if I could find one.  Other than that I wouldn't do a thing to it. They're beautiful bikes with exceptional build quality. 

Finding these parts are honestly considerably easier than people make it. I hunt craigslist like a fiend. I have alerts set up on dozens of major cities for new postings for vfr stuff.  I've had things shipped from Detroit, Seattle, California, and everywhere in between. Although some wont ship, you'd be amazed at the amount that will. 

speaking to your heli bars...I know exactly where there is a bnib set for $200 on cl.  

The maintenance you speak of is not that difficult.  It's similar to doing what I went through over 2 years ago when I bought my first Audi.  I surfed the forums, did my research cursed Audi at times, but in the end, I service my friends cars now and make a bit on the side. You just need to invest in a few basic tools, a few special ones, some oil and drain pans and your are good (or close to it).  If you need help, I'm right up 95, gimme a call or pm.

btw, check out my listing in the classifieds for anything you might need. I'm clearing my old 3rd, 4th and whatever stuff I have in my garage out...make an offer

Finding these parts are honestly considerably easier than people make it. I hunt craigslist like a fiend. I have alerts set up on dozens of major cities for new postings for vfr stuff.  I've had things shipped from Detroit, Seattle, California, and everywhere in between. Although some wont ship, you'd be amazed at the amount that will. 

speaking to your heli bars...I know exactly where there is a bnib set for $200 on cl.  

The maintenance you speak of is not that difficult.  It's similar to doing what I went through over 2 years ago when I bought my first Audi.  I surfed the forums, did my research cursed Audi at times, but in the end, I service my friends cars now and make a bit on the side. You just need to invest in a few basic tools, a few special ones, some oil and drain pans and your are good (or close to it).  If you need help, I'm right up 95, gimme a call or pm.

btw, check out my listing in the classifieds for anything you might need. I'm clearing my old 3rd, 4th and whatever stuff I have in my garage out...make an offer
Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it. I'll definitely check the classifieds and reach out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

True about the suspension quite weak when you push the bike on the twisties. It pretty much limits the bike and can go much faster and more confidently if it had firmer legs...... I think I finally convinced myself to treat my 95 4th gen to a new rear Penske shock......if they still sell them for the bike.....

The bike really deserves the upgrade.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Beck said:

True about the suspension quite weak when you push the bike on the twisties. It pretty much limits the bike and can go much faster and more confidently if it had firmer legs...... I think I finally convinced myself to treat my 95 4th gen to a new rear Penske shock......if they still sell them for the bike.....

The bike really deserves the upgrade.

There is a VFRD member that is a Go To for VFR suspension upgrades.

DMr (http://daughertymotorsports.com/) my forks and shock which transformed my fifth gen.

Highly recommended by many members of VFRD.

Archived