Depressed 94 VFR owner...what to do.

Well, I've had my 94 since I bought in '04. It turned 80k miles on the test ride and I have added less than 10k in 14-years. But I also am not great at maintenance and she now needs forks rebuilt, new chain and sprockets, and the latest, loss of clutch pressure and actuation. I know it will cost a few hundred $ at least but I just don't know If I'm up to the task of owning a "classic" bike, but I know I'll regret selling her if I do.

There isn't a bike on the road that stirs my soul like hers when she is in top form but there are much better "every day" bikes too. I had hoped the latest VFR800 would make me want a new VFR but "meh." I know the longer mine sits, the more she will deteriorate.

I'd love to "restore" her (though she isn't that bad for her age) and add Heli-bars, and panniers, etc, but even finding those are harder and getting pricier. I'm getting older, shoulders aching, Hell, I guess her and I are kind of alike, doing our best to she gracefully, but could use a little more TLC!

I bought my daughter a helmet and riding gear just last year trying to instill the passion.

Anyway, I guess this was just VFR therapy session to vent but I welcome any perspectives.

Thanks for listening!f3683e8603a0e52b232d7f3762b1c078.jpg3501f8a2642d0a61a8b855dcaadefc15.jpg9f5ce0ddefa524eb6201f186793af671.jpg1b29152a8db03e938ef47e248880057e.jpg2e719c12239bb1b2b2e35dbc29578802.jpg9ace48abd2678b1fbaea421b83f22ea5.jpgc45420c783cf60196a3af84e67df97c8.jpgd0a540b27e0b48a36714f5801d4cec9e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

What are the alternatives?  Buy a stinky i4?????

No!

Fix her!!

and they lived long and happy ever after!  :wheel:

I agree with @Dutchy, especially if your bike still looks like on the pics 😉

Look at my resto thread to figure how easy it seems to fix your bike. With no Atlantic ocean between us, I would do it for you.

Fork maintenance and chain and sprockets change is easy work for any decent repair shop. Not sure about you clutch problem but this should be easy to fix to. For sure, all of this done in a repair shop is problem a lot more that the bike value if you want to sell it. 

So if it still shake your soul, please fix it and report any good ride you have, on your own or with your daughter.

10 hours ago, artyldr01 said:

I bought my daughter a helmet and riding gear just last year trying to instill the passion.

So what is really being lost here, your passion for your bike, or your passion for riding?  I ask b/c you seem to be venting in both areas.  Owning/riding any bike, classic or not, involves time, money, effort (unless you're Jay Leno, then it's just money), and risk.  Only you can figure out if your passion is strong enough to keep it all up.  I could be more sympathetic to your venting about sore shoulders, but honestly, from the pix I'm pretty sure I'm a good bit older than you, so just stretch more and grab the Aleve 😀.  I've ridden track with guys who are close to 70.  Just rode the track this past weekend, sore as hell now.  We're all getting older, we have no choice in the matter.

If your passion is gone, then so be it.  Otherwise, suck it up buttercup, fix that very nice bike (it's your dream machine, remember), and keep on truckin ... 👍.

ACE

Well, I've had my 94 since I bought in '04. It turned 80k miles on the test ride and I have added less than 10k in 14-years. But I also am not great at maintenance and she now needs forks rebuilt, new chain and sprockets, and the latest, loss of clutch pressure and actuation. I know it will cost a few hundred $ at least but I just don't know If I'm up to the task of owning a "classic" bike, but I know I'll regret selling her if I do.

There isn't a bike on the road that stirs my soul like hers when she is in top form but there are much better "every day" bikes too. I had hoped the latest VFR800 would make me want a new VFR but "meh." I know the longer mine sits, the more she will deteriorate.

I'd love to "restore" her (though she isn't that bad for her age) and add Heli-bars, and panniers, etc, but even finding those are harder and getting pricier. I'm getting older, shoulders aching, Hell, I guess her and I are kind of alike, doing our best to she gracefully, but could use a little more TLC!

Anyway, I guess this was just VFR therapy session to vent but I welcome any perspectives.

Thanks for listening!f3683e8603a0e52b232d7f3762b1c078.jpg&key=38a5c2ae7f4d794191c1d7593a7a7f7f6040d15415a0869b55d4b145512fca073501f8a2642d0a61a8b855dcaadefc15.jpg&key=7d4b0867185edacbd4d9c255b324734f4b6035ea6b054481caad85d6c11b591d9f5ce0ddefa524eb6201f186793af671.jpg&key=d49bcb73cb804e1c1f0af0626559de3bc6f8181154f6e778d6aafaf4dd9298001b29152a8db03e938ef47e248880057e.jpg&key=171e7866b8b0ea9231dae18b140bc9c494098f042e6f2a556a8d234a2583f4102e719c12239bb1b2b2e35dbc29578802.jpg&key=9f7a38aa40089fd6a8993a9ea6da3f04115adaa93142968e62860f97061aad659ace48abd2678b1fbaea421b83f22ea5.jpg&key=52b44934402afaa6a6b4a9d7340640528b6d9bab5df578bf993fbf137e801f97c45420c783cf60196a3af84e67df97c8.jpg&key=77c7a871bcca7500d15947c80a6a32e4df8183521a2f00d9b0a2bc08f21f7a2dd0a540b27e0b48a36714f5801d4cec9e.jpg&key=d2a7621ed68793f32aa8db599cbdc2341daed6538b4c76e89da931703d94d469

Fix it! It will then last the rest of your riding days. Anybody can buy a newer bike. Only a few will have a well kept VFR.
And there is nothing better than riding with your daughter except riding beside her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what is really being lost here, your passion for your bike, or your passion for riding?  I ask b/c you seem to be venting in both areas.  Owning/riding any bike, classic or not, involves time, money, effort (unless you're Jay Leno, then it's just money), and risk.  Only you can figure out if your passion is strong enough to keep it all up.  I could be more sympathetic to your venting about sore shoulders, but honestly, from the pix I'm pretty sure I'm a good bit older than you, so just stretch more and grab the Aleve .  I've ridden track with guys who are close to 70.  Just rode the track this past weekend, sore as hell now.  We're all getting older, we have no choice in the matter.

If your passion is gone, then so be it.  Otherwise, suck it up buttercup, fix that very nice bike (it's your dream machine, remember), and keep on truckin ... .

ACE

Thanks Ace! A little tough love is probably what the doctor ordered!

Well, feeling the passion from around the world is exactly what I needed to get reengaged. I do love her, and what she offers in a chaotic world and in a bond with my teenage daughter. Thanks for the pep talk (and slap in the face)!

• Member Contributer

I've been riding continuously for the past 36 years, over that time it has transformed from a means of freedom, then transportation, then a passion. I have looked at buying new bikes but my interests have veered towards the areas of tinker/maintain/upgrade in addition to loving to carve corners. Recently I've bought two older Hondas to add to my stable, and honing the condition of these brings me great satisfaction.

My suggestion to you is two-fold, firstly get stuck into doing maintenance, and secondly, take a rider training course and see what you are missing out on. Hopefully you will find the immense satisfaction of researching a task then completing it (with some new tools/skills along the way) with the payback of improved operation of the bike for the next ride. If you are anything like me, rider training will highlight the areas that you really need to work on, and this gives you a real focus for future rides that will add challenge and interest. 

Love your father-daughter riding pics. Make sure to cherish those moments before she gets too old. Please excuse my Suzuki photo. 

28112010026.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm a bit late here - but it sounds as though you're sort of looking for an 'intervention' . . . :smile:   As said above, you're younger than many of us.  I'm sure I've got some years on you - and I'm off on a 3,500 mile trip in a month.  Riding will give you a reason to work out and improve your strength for longer rides.   The ailments of your 4th gen are not terribly complicated and common for one of its mileage (looks very nice, by the way).  You might find it daunting to remove the shock and forks, but sending them on a round trip to Jamie Daugherty for a refurb will definitely transform your 4th gen's handling - particularly with a passenger on board.   That alone may rekindle your desire for riding - it will be so much sharper and track through corners better making the experience so much more exciting.  If you need help and advice, there are plenty here that will chime in to help you.  I did mine with the center stand and a scissor jack under the headers - so it can be done with ordinary hand tools.  The motor in that bike is probably one of if not the best motor ever put between two wheels - pure magic.  You'll miss it if you part with it.  

I might also suggest involving your daughter in some ride planning - that's a good bonding activity and would probably also keep it interesting.  Lastly, if I may -  I had a friend lowside wearing jeans.  His jacket and the bike were scuffed - but his knee was not so lucky.  He would have been fine in proper riding pants with armor in them.  If something happened, you'd surely feel horrible if you're daughter suffered that fate.  Complete head to toe gear is essential if the worst happens. 

Cheers

I'm a bit late here - but it sounds as though you're sort of looking for an 'intervention' . . .   As said above, you're younger than many of us.  I'm sure I've got some years on you - and I'm off on a 3,500 mile trip in a month.  Riding will give you a reason to work out and improve your strength for longer rides.   The ailments of your 4th gen are not terribly complicated and common for one of its mileage (looks very nice, by the way).  You might find it daunting to remove the shock and forks, but sending them on a round trip to Jamie Daugherty for a refurb will definitely transform your 4th gen's handling - particularly with a passenger on board.   That alone may rekindle your desire for riding - it will be so much sharper and track through corners better making the experience so much more exciting.  If you need help and advice, there are plenty here that will chime in to help you.  I did mine with the center stand and a scissor jack under the headers - so it can be done with ordinary hand tools.  The motor in that bike is probably one of if not the best motor ever put between two wheels - pure magic.  You'll miss it if you part with it.  

I might also suggest involving your daughter in some ride planning - that's a good bonding activity and would probably also keep it interesting.  Lastly, if I may -  I had a friend lowside wearing jeans.  His jacket and the bike were scuffed - but his knee was not so lucky.  He would have been fine in proper riding pants with armor in them.  If something happened, you'd surely feel horrible if you're daughter suffered that fate.  Complete head to toe gear is essential if the worst happens. 

Cheers
Thanks for the sage wisdom, true on all accounts, and I will definitely look at better apparel ASAP.

I have been contacted by a member here not too far from me offering to do all the work needed for much less than a shop. May also have a line on bags, and other accessories to make her the sport touring machine of my dreams.

Thank you all!

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, artyldr01 said:

Thanks for the sage wisdom, true on all accounts, and I will definitely look at better apparel ASAP.

I have been contacted by a member here not too far from me offering to do all the work needed for much less than a shop. May also have a line on bags, and other accessories to make her the sport touring machine of my dreams.

Thank you all!

Depending on your preferences in clothes and riding wear - you might want to check out kevlar leggings. They wear comfortably right underneath your jeans or whatever pants you prefer. I have a pair of bowtex leggings ( https://bowtex.com/ ). I have CE approved armor in the hips and knees in mine. They are comfortable, have a decent form factor, and give me piece of mind the times that I do decide to ride in jeans or even under khakis or slacks when I ride to work or for work meetings around the state. After a year or so of use they get a solid thumbs up from me. 

• Member Contributer

I forgot to add - your daughter is cute as can be.  You should be very proud! 

I forgot to add - your daughter is cute as can be.  You should be very proud! 

I always tell her, I'd like to met her dad because she is too cute and too smart to be mine!

• Member Contributer

I'm 52 and just started doing track days! Also, learn how to wrench on your bike!

You may make a few mistakes, but they are generally parts bolted to other parts, and that's also how you learn how and how not to do these repairs. I did my forks with the help of a friend, but yes you can send them to Jamie as he does great work. The clutch probably needs a rebuild kit in the master or slave cylinder. The chain and sprockets aren't too difficult either. Watch a few videos, ask some folks here, and dig in. Take your time, and have your daughter help you if she would like to. It's a great time to teach mechanical concepts that can be adapted to other ares as well. Friction, torque, transfer of power, how multiple parts together perform a complex task, etc....

I just mounted and balanced a set of tires on the track bike in my garage, and two years ago I was paying over $50 a set to have that done. After 8 sets, I have saved way more than my equipment cost!

9 hours ago, RC1237V said:

I'm 52 and just started doing track days! Also, learn how to wrench on your bike!

I just mounted and balanced a set of tires on the track bike in my garage, and two years ago I was paying over $50 a set to have that done. After 8 sets, I have saved way more than my equipment cost!

And once you're doing a good number of track weekends per season, and have made it solidly into your 60's, you'll start paying that over $50 again ... just sayin :laughing6-hehe:...

ACE

• Member Contributer

The opportunity to ride with your daughter can be priceless. As can be teaching here about mechanics and tools. 

Go for it. With her. Just look at that smile. It says a lot.

You both have grins in those pics. Take care of the maint, and go ride, make more grins.

How old are your tires?

You both have grins in those pics. Take care of the maint, and go ride, make more grins.
How old are your tires?
They are 5 years old with roughly 2000 miles in them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think they recommend replacing tires around that age. Just because they get hard.

I would look it up and maybe change them even if they have tread.

Also, Always look on the bright side of life! For sure youtube that song. :beer:

13 minutes ago, squirrelman said:

I couldn't afford to own even one motorcycle if i couldn't fix it myself. 😜

Especially with the things in your garage list.

Shop hours are expensive and can quickly cost more than an old bike is worth on the market.

Value in use is different. Something can have little market value, but still be useful and fun.

/Ramble. :rolleyes:

Definitely doing it myself is in the near future. Time is always the issue...but then so are excuses on my part.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There is never enough time. Motivation can be a problem too. One reason I went from 3 older bikes to 1 near new bike recently.

I find sometimes if I just push myself to get going, kick my ass into gear and get started, that begins the battle.

Sorry, it is not half the battle, only the start. But you can't finish and go ride if you never start.

Guess I need a different analogy for the house projects. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

There are people on here who could do the work for you if you don't have a dealer or service dept you trust. @SEBSPEED

Those aren't issues that you wouldn't have on any other bike. The way you should look at it is like this. "I have a bike that is old and hasn't been completely maintained. Should I pay for someone to go through the bike to make sure everything is in good shape so I don't have to worry about any safety issues with the bike anymore, especially since I am riding with my daughter, or get another used bike that probably has the same issues." I'm guessing brakes and clutch have never been touched. I would get it done sooner than later.

Again, reiterating safety issues with having fully functional brakes and good suspension. Honestly, I would look into a replacement rear shock too since that thing is most likely toast.

As a fighter pilot and airline pilot, there are 3 choices in the initial picture.  Hard pressed to pick between the P-51, P-40, and VFR if you ask me.  I'll ride and fly all 3!  

I owned both a 1999 and 2001 VFR800, and while I loved them, I really longed for the 94-97 generation, and just picked one up last year.  I'm trying to do my own maintenance (with no garage mind you in the PNW), but it does come down to forking over the dollars for some maintenance that's beyond me.  

What my wife said is perfect, considering the costs of maintenance, "it's cheaper than therapy!"  Ride brother, ride.  Enjoy it.

Nozz

Archived