Pedrosa Out and Lorenzo In at HRC for 2019

Finally, finally, Pedrosa is gone from the factory Honda MotoGP team.  It was long overdue, perhaps 10 years or more.  Anyway, it will be interesting to see how Lorenzo does on the Honda.  You may have guessed...I am not a Pedrosa fan.  Yes, I still remember 2006.  I am bad about holding a grudge...little f-er...good riddance.

• Member Contributer

Well, Jorge Lorenzo is Spanish as well. If you ask me I thought they would go for some (other Spanish) young blood like Jorge Martin from Moto3 who is currently on fire... it's not unheard of to detour a promising rider around the quagmire of moto2. Miller managed that... not that I personally believe pottymouth will ever come to anything beyond the odd podium.

What about nabbing some ankle-biting, bit-chomping, fairing-rubbing talent from the fiercely competitive moto2 mob?

I think they've swapped a mule for a donkey. Pedrosa was surely more consistent although his pointy end this year was patently tapering off towards flacidity. Lorenzo's glory-hole days may well have spawned and dwindled into erectile disfunction as well. Honda might have made a game-losing decision based on a headrush from a once-off blue-pill win on a bike/brand Dovizioso, Stoner, Petrucci and others are/were light years more consistent and even successfully and regularly podiumming on. Yes, I made that word up.

At least he did what Rossi didn't with a Ducati.

The polemic has been served. Eat your hearts out.

Disclaimer: this was written in a light-hearted, humoristic, non-serious light and means no offense. Although there is some method to the madness.

• Member Contributer

6td8ah.jpg

Honda just made sure that Whoregay could not become world champion had he moved to Yamama...

This picture, my eyes are burning... 

Seriously, no special fan of Jorge. I like Dani but was a shame to see his results lately. 

• Member Contributer

As much as I don’t like JL, I was cheering for him to win at Mugello. I actually miss having him fight at the front with the usual suspects, it’s a much better racing series when there is more than just a couple at the front battling it out. Mugello was a throw back of the old JL, getting the whole shot and walking away from the group, which ironically doesn’t make for exciting racing, but none the less was good for the series as it throws in another possible contender for the podium. That is, unless this was a fluke and just a perfect set of circumstances, which is possible and we’ll need to wait for the next few races to see what transpires.

As far as Dani, not sure what all the hatred is towards him, he always seems to one of the nicer riders out there. I will say this, if it wasn’t for bad luck, he probably wouldn’t have any luck at all. So many times he was a contender for the crown and something always got in the way. In all honesty, I would prefer the seat next to MM go to Crutchlow but Honda, perhaps it’s Repsol, sees JL as a better option. Time will tell I guess. Now, on to the next race!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Slight

Haga

Pedrosa

My sentiments exactly, Dutchy. Somehow Slight, and to an even greater extent Haga, both have character, which seems lacking in today's antiseptic aliens. Man, I'm a sucker for an underdog. Except Pedrosa, and I can't explain why, I don't hate him, just don't dig him. As I've said before, I wish my riding sucked as bad as Pedrosa's.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

As much as I don’t like JL, I was cheering for him to win at Mugello. I actually miss having him fight at the front with the usual suspects, it’s a much better racing series when there is more than just a couple at the front battling it out.

JL in a "fight" at the front?  When has that ever happened?  When he wins, he leads from the first turn and is never seen again!

Anyway, I confess that I did not see this coming.  Still trying to picture it.  I think MM and JL will be the best of buddies...all the way up to the first time MM barges past/through JL on his way to the front.  I give it maybe two races into 2019 before this occurs.

Ciao,

This. 
Hahaha Sebastian ... Now I don't want to be misconstrued... Dani was like a pack mule, hard working, just chipping away, not a show horse, smooth but just not a hero. Swiss watch, he even had his fiscal address in Switzerland. Lacking in that extra drive but technically well above a lot of others but yeah, he was just good enough for (Repsol) Honda not to swap him out. I'm sure they got a lot of data out of him and many a podium. Every year I can imagine the head honchos "on paper this could be his year"... "better the devil you know", and then you've got so much money and years invested.

This year there's a noticeable difference as the new ranks, blood and talent start to shine through, that's what surprises me about opting for JL... THERE'S SO MUCH CHOICE NOW!

Dani's a lovely guy, not a mean bone, he's had his fair share of mistakes but he's not a track bully like Rossi or Marquez.

Lorenzo had/has talent. He just has foot in mouth disease and this makes him a social donkey. Maybe he can be competitive again but he's too inconsistent and emotionally sensitive to all the fame and well... Also super smooth and precise but too OCD, feathers get ruffled, lacks the cold blood, like Biaggi. Gets his knickers in a twist in a dogfight and drops off the pace.

Anyway... If he was more of a fighter but after taking a few crowns and having broken your ankles so many times to get them I think he's just not willing to risk injury that much, just like Pedrosa.

Not that I think it should be a prerequisite to take insane risks like Simoncelli

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, JZH said:

JL in a "fight" at the front?  When has that ever happened?  When he wins, he leads from the first turn and is never seen again!

Anyway, I confess that I did not see this coming.  Still trying to picture it.  I think MM and JL will be the best of buddies...all the way up to the first time MM barges past/through JL on his way to the front.  I give it maybe two races into 2019 before this occurs.

Ciao,

I recall a few races where he and MM, he and VR had some fights for the first place finish. I believe it was the last time JL won in Mugello, where he just beat MM by a fraction of a second and there was Philip Island where MM just edged him out. You might even recall MM‘s rookie season when he passed Lorenzo at Lorenzo’s corner to beat him. Maybe it’s not every race but there have been a few and they were close.

I really don’t think the Honda suits JL’s riding style very well, but maybe that’s the point.  He is pretty good with bike development,  is Honda hoping he can help make the Honda a little easier to ride? Then MM, Crutclow, and others wouldn’t have to ride on the ragged edge to get the results...

On 6/6/2018 at 6:05 PM, Auspanglish said:

Hahaha Sebastian ... Now I don't want to be misconstrued... Dani was like a pack mule, hard working, just chipping away, not a show horse, smooth but just not a hero. Swiss watch, he even had his fiscal address in Switzerland. Lacking in that extra drive but technically well above a lot of others but yeah, he was just good enough for (Repsol) Honda not to swap him out. I'm sure they got a lot of data out of him and many a podium. Every year I can imagine the head honchos "on paper this could be his year"... "better the devil you know", and then you've got so much money and years invested.

This year there's a noticeable difference as the new ranks, blood and talent start to shine through, that's what surprises me about opting for JL... THERE'S SO MUCH CHOICE NOW!

Dani's a lovely guy, not a mean bone, he's had his fair share of mistakes but he's not a track bully like Rossi or Marquez.

Lorenzo had/has talent. He just has foot in mouth disease and this makes him a social donkey. Maybe he can be competitive again but he's too inconsistent and emotionally sensitive to all the fame and well... Also super smooth and precise but too OCD, feathers get ruffled, lacks the cold blood, like Biaggi. Gets his knickers in a twist in a dogfight and drops off the pace.

Anyway... If he was more of a fighter but after taking a few crowns and having broken your ankles so many times to get them I think he's just not willing to risk injury that much, just like Pedrosa.

Not that I think it should be a prerequisite to take insane risks like Simoncelli

Agreed.

I carried the 2006 grudge against Dani for a long time, but in the last 2 yrs or so I found myself rooting for him to do better. 

I thought Honda were doing well bringing riders up the ranks from the lower classes, I see JL as a setback for them, but time will tell. 

Archived