Recommended routes for gettin’ outa Texas?

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, mello dude said:

2 cent tidbit, for some reason, my 5th gen is also a CA model, and I didnt realize it until 4 weeks after purchase.(You wouldnt think a CA model would be in Ohio!) Anyhoo, I thought there was no difference until I rode marriedmans 49 state bike, and holy shit, 7k to top is much stronger. So the intel on that is .. we find out via VFRcapt is that the 49 state cams have a 1 mm taller lobe lift. So I have been cursed at some point to grab 49 state cams and add to mine, although my free time is scarce... I'm in the "just ride it" mode for now. (I did pick up a 49 state ECU.)

Sorry to hear about the California surprise your 5th gen sprung on you. What year is it? Oh, I can check your profile garage for year... 1998, which makes perfect sense. It appears that, by sheer accidental luck, I've stumbled in the opposite direction. I just went through Honda camshaft and ECU parts fiches for 49 state and CA VFRs, years 1998-2001. I did this because I like the way you think, plus I'm adept at wasting time by thoroughly running blatantly redundant permutations.

I'll spare you the actual part numbers, but they confirm VFRcapt's data: 1998 and 1999 49 state VFRs, and ALL 2000-2001 VFRs share common cams. 1998  and 1999 CA VFRs share their own cams, all four of which have different part numbers than all the previously mentioned model years.

2000 and 2001 49 state VFRs share the same ECU; it is unique to these two model years.

2000 and 2001 CA VFRs share the same ECU, uniquely suited to these two model years' personalities, and theirs alone.

1998 and 1999 49 state VFRs took their ECU and went home.

1998 and 1999 CA VFRs share the same ECU - it's all theirs.

• Member Contributer

I did pass Icehouse Road on the way back home from previously mentioned trip..........hint, hint

Too bad I was in my truck!

Archived