Grips issue

Anyone experienced abnormal grips consumption ?

I’ve got 25.000 km under the belt and the left grip is gone, I’ve got Honda changing both under warranty tomorrow 

2 years old, always riding with gloves 

pics following soon

• Member Contributer

Other members have had this issue - 01ragtop at 10,000 miles and DriverDave.

Had a look at mine, 2014 model with 54,000k's and they are starting to show small signs of degradation.

Wonder how much the grip heaters effect the rubber? Do you often use the heated grips? and what heat level?

I only very rarely used them and don't go above Level 3.

Ciao mi amico.

Mine look quite a bit like "Andrearonin"s post above.  I've been meaning to get some self-sealing silicone tape to cover them up, as I would hate to have to install a whole new set.  I do use them in spring and fall, as I do a lot of riding at high elevation.

• Member Contributer
On 5 June 2018 at 3:50 PM, fink said:

Mine are fine after 56K km plus

With all due respect fink I don't think you get the sun like the OP

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

With all due respect fink I don't think you get the sun like the OP

Its been over 23 degrees each day for past 3 weeks does that count? 😂

1 hour ago, Shinigami said:

Mine look quite a bit like "Andrearonin"s post above.  I've been meaning to get some self-sealing silicone tape to cover them up, as I would hate to have to install a whole new set.  I do use them in spring and fall, as I do a lot of riding at high elevation.

If your bike is under warranty why don’t let Honda change them for you?

the dealer I spoke to was reluctant, but Honda Italia gave me the ok few hours later

26 minutes ago, andrearonin said:

If your bike is under warranty why don’t let Honda change them for you?

the dealer I spoke to was reluctant, but Honda Italia gave me the ok few hours later

I've had mine four years now, warranty expired last year.

• Member Contributer

I'm surprised to see them wearing so quickly seeing as how my 6th gen OEM grips are still in good shape after 120,000 km. All my Hondas have always had very durable OEM grips. Maybe they have changed their formulation...

@fink the gloves I use the most are one year older than the bike ( dainese carbon ) so more than 3 years now and are like new.

@Dustin I've had the 6th ten for 99.000 Km and never thought of changing them, so I was surprised  too, maybe it's because of the heated grip, even though I didn't use them a lot, but since they decided to change them so quickly ( heated grip cost more  then  200 € I think ) Honda has acknowledge it was their fault.

That's pretty scary!

I've been using grip puppies since 600 mi on the '14 and I've used the heaters quite a bit.  I'm a lil worried if they're garbage waiting to fall apart on me. 

Man that's scary.

Mine melted quickly too. At about 10k miles, 1 year of riding 5+ days/week in Phoenix. Some rubbers can take UV and heat. Others can't. I switched to Oxford. They're doing decent. But Progrip seems to have the best rubber. 

• Member Contributer

I've had Progrips for a number of years and 25,000 miles - look brand new.  Then again, I keep a very light hold on the grips.  I really don't "hold on" as much as just rest my hands on them.   The less I try holding on the less fatigue I have and my cornering is better. 

Yes, I have had this, particularly the end of the left grip that started after only a few thousand kilometres. Honda Australia refused tor recognise the problem. I am now reopening a case with them knowing that Internationally, the warranty was honoured.

I've never experienced something like this in any other bike, Honda or not, in just two years with similar amount of Kms or more

First time with heated grips, but since Honda changed them they acknowledged it was their fault.

Archived