Ducati SS

Looked at a Ducati SS today at an historic car race.  $25k Aussie they wanted for the bike...  Is it just me, or the VFR looks like great value in comparison?  The VFR may have 15-20 hp less but it has much going for it too, +$10k less, more range, better touring with factory hard bags, a V4... 

• Member Contributer

You can save yourself a bunch of cash if you consider going with a much older model...

https://www.cycleworld.com/1991-1997-ducati-900ss-is-used-motorcycle-you-need?CMPID=ene060318

In all honesty, I prefer my ‘95 900SS/SP over the newer model, the character these older models have is missing from the new one. The low end torque is also better on the older models, at least IMO. I test rode a 2017 and although not a bad ride, I wouldn’t trade mine in for one nor my VFR for that matter. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

You can save yourself a bunch of cash if you consider going with a much older model...

https://www.cycleworld.com/1991-1997-ducati-900ss-is-used-motorcycle-you-need?CMPID=ene060318

In all honesty, I prefer my ‘95 900SS/SP over the newer model, the character these older models have is missing from the new one. The low end torque is also better on the older models, at least IMO. I test rode a 2017 and although not a bad ride, I wouldn’t trade mine in for one nor my VFR for that matter. 

I'm of a similar mind.   While technology has advanced and new vehicles may possess  more capabilities (I'm including cars in this as well), they seem to lack a soul that older models often have.  I see few new bikes that I would have a passion for - they're more of a tool.   Not only having more character,  bikes from the 80s thru maybe mid 2000s were in many cases more artistic in their styling.  Now they're industrial looking,  as if the designers are all refugees from the local water treatment plant.  I don't get it.   There are many low mile used bikes from that era for sale that are very good values.  

Duc2V4 next time we ride you should ride the Duc so I can give it a whirl. A new white one looks sooo good when my condo sells and I have some cash I need a reason not to go to Ducati and test ride one 🙂

• Member Contributer

Recalling riding a late 90's 900SS.... what a torture rack due to the low, low clipons.

One cannot ride well with merely looking at the clocks, so forcing your head up, stretching your neck was euh "part of the charm".

My colleague who had rented it for the day said my redslut felt like a sofa in comparison.

every half hour he's ask "shall we stop for a coffee?" 🙂

Man, I'd love to own a 900/750SS now!

(or an 888)...

• Member Contributer

Alternatively.......   :tongue:

legg.thumb.jpg.075dcd16940af1b943485ce331c253bb.jpg

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Recalling riding a late 90's 900SS.... what a torture rack due to the low, low clipons.

One cannot ride well with merely looking at the clocks, so forcing your head up, stretching your neck was euh "part of the charm".

My colleague who had rented it for the day said my redslut felt like a sofa in comparison.

every half hour he's ask "shall we stop for a coffee?" 🙂

Man, I'd love to own a 900/750SS now!

(or an 888)...

I’m sure it had something to do with your size or bike setup. In the first few years I had the bike I used it to commute to work, one commuting to Santa Monica from the San Fernando Valley is brutal in a car and second, most of my projects were in Malibu! A motorcycle was the perfect vehiclefor these two scenarios. I had no problem with doing this for a while or even taking a round trip to Santa Cruz, of course I was in my 20’s, so I’m sure that had something to do with it. Although the bike does well on long sweeping corners, more so than tight switch backs, it is still a fun bike to ride. However in the more tighter sections with a lot of switch backs, it can take some muscle to ride, this may be be because I’m now in my 50’s but I still enjoy the occasional ride in Malibu with it.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, thepretender said:

Duc2V4 next time we ride you should ride the Duc so I can give it a whirl. A new white one looks sooo good when my condo sells and I have some cash I need a reason not to go to Ducati and test ride one 🙂

The new one is actually a nice bike and handles very well, it just has a different characteristic that I didn’t like. When riding in street traffic, the RPM range was too buzzy and even though the mirrors on my 900 are close to useless, unless I bring my elbows in to my side, the ones on the new one vibrate so much in that rev range, that they are completely useless, unless you’re good at deciphering blurry images. It’ll be a few weeks before mine is back in my garage, let alone me riding it, so we’ll see when we can make that happen.

23 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Or even a not so old low mileage one. Some people buy bikes and barely ride them.

Then sell them after eating a big depreciation hit.

I love those guys, but I don't get their motivation.

Picked up a 2014 Monster 1200 last year for US$10.2k with 2,5xx miles and new rear tire.

MSRP was I think $13.5k on them, and the new ones are quite a bit higher than that.

I am done reaching and stretching for the bars and imitating a monkey with a football.

Picked up a 2015 VFR800 with 258kms on the clock for $3.5k under the new price excluding in-road costs.....

Archived