4th gen engine compatible with 3rd gen frame?

Hi VFR fans,

My 3rd gen restoration is going in circles these days. The bike had almost 100 000 km on the clock. According to previous owner, it worked well before it was flooded but the more I am digging, the more I find that impossible, at least not according to my "working well" standards. 

The problem I cannot solve is that the engine is sucking coolant and I don't understand why. I changed both cylinder head gasket, had the issue at rebuild time, found it came from front cylinder, changed the gasket again then it smokes again after less than 2 minutes running. My understanding is that there is more than just the gasket (cylinder head? walls?) so I cannot really trust the engine.

Options for a spare 3rd gen motor seems limited when I look on Ebay/craiglist (in France). My question is: does 4th gen engine fit the 3rd gen frame or not? This would give me a little bit more options for a spare one.

I would say no but you never know 😉 I know engine is basically the same but since frames are really different, I would expect at least mounting points to be located slightly differently. Anyone knowing such a swap?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Good question, and i bet someone knows, unfortunately not me.

jeeez, mate, i have a good, ready-to-go gen3 engine sitting on my shop floor here in NY that i'd be pleased to sell you---the result of a failed attempt to place a gen3 into a gen2 frame---but getting to France is a big challenge. But since you live in the Riviera, maybe your yacht could pick up the moteur from NYC next trip over ?

good compression, valves checked, very clean and i want just $350 for it !

march_2018_040.thumb.JPG.4ec100134ac4c94455a21c45784db949.JPG

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty sure the engines will swap, but I'm not 100%, sorry.  I have most of a 60,000mi 3rd gen here you could have for free, but it needs at least a new camshaft (I broke one...)  Some other bits are missing, but you have them on your engine and could swap them.  Not sure when I'll be next driving down to Italy in the van, but it could be this summer some time.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

i can positively say YES THEY WILL!!.

how ever .......you do need the carbs and airbox also. 

i have swapped a 3rd gen into a 4th and vice versa..

1 hour ago, gll429 said:

i can positively say YES THEY WILL!!.

how ever .......you do need the carbs and airbox also. 

i have swapped a 3rd gen into a 4th and vice versa..

I have the gen3 carbs  for sale too, just $340 for a freshly cleaned and adjusted set.

Thanks a lot guys for all your feedback. I was sure that if I were to find the answer, it would be there 🙂

Fortunately, I got some (rather good) news to share about  my engine - will put it in my resto thread. So I will keep going with my current engine for now. 

I keep note that 4th gen engine will fit since it seems to have a little bit more options for a spare engine but that I need carbs and airbox. Let's hope airbox top shape is similar so I can keep the tank 😉

Thanks again guys for your support.

Archived