17t sprocket makes this bike soooo much better.

I love the VFR.....but it had some things about it that I didn't like. The gears are too short. It bucks at low speeds without precise throttle control, and engine braking is a bit extreme.  Also, the speedo is off by at least 10%. I opted to change my front sprocket to a 17t. I put on a new 110 link x-ring chain and rear 43t sprocket. 

I was able to hook back up the flapper which gave me back the low and mid grunt I was missing. 

It brought the speedo close enough to actual speed. 

It makes the gears long enough to cut down shifting in town in half.  I am able to stay in lower gears instead of shifting to a higher one. Less shifts up also means less shifts down when coming to a light.....also nice. 

got rid of a noticeable amount of bucking.

engine braking is not annoying anymore. 

did not notice the loss in acceleration at all. In fact this thing still hauls ass at will.  

I realize that this is going to irritate some, much like oil and air filter talk, but I just wanted to share my experience. 

thanks

Joel

Bike is totally fixed and love the 82lb clutch springs.....

• Member Contributer

i hear ya with the on/off throttle, it doesn’t have the forgiveness of carbs. from what others have said, the PC3 (spelling?) can soften this. i have all the slack out of the throttle cable(s) and it still requires a very light touch. one thing to keep in mind is to make sure you aren’t putting any body weight on your hands, this makes light control input more difficult - like blip-to-downshift.  

personally, i love the engine braking but i do dab the front brake lever to turn the brake light on to warn. 

what have you noticed in mileage change with your sprocket change?

27 minutes ago, thereisnospoon said:

i hear ya with the on/off throttle, it doesn’t have the forgiveness of carbs. from what others have said, the PC3 (spelling?) can soften this. i have all the slack out of the throttle cable(s) and it still requires a very light touch. one thing to keep in mind is to make sure you aren’t putting any body weight on your hands, this makes light control input more difficult - like blip-to-downshift.  

personally, i love the engine braking but i do dab the front brake lever to turn the brake light on to warn. 

what have you noticed in mileage change with your sprocket change?

I was getting about 40mpg average.....just dd the change so I will see what a few tanks does. It is likely to stay the same as I am in a lesser gear to avoid changing up and down to 3rd or 4th. I am now mostly 2 and 3rd.

thanks

Joel

yes I weigh 225 pounds so I squeeze the tank with my legs regularly to take the weight off my arms.  I have seen no negatives from changing the sprocket. Didn't think 6.3% change would do much but it is very noticeable. 

thanks

Joel

5 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Don't forget that now your odometer is off, so take that into account when you figure your mileage.

yeah, I read somewhere that the odometer is accurate but the speedo isn't. 

thanks

Joel

• Member Contributer

Yeah, norm from the factory, speedometer is 8%-10% fast and odometer is spot on. Now

your speedometer is closer to accurate, so your odometer will be off. But what the heck.

I use a bicycle computer on mine for a speedometer/odometer/trip meter and it is exact.

But my speedometer reads about 15 mph fast at around 70 mph.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, exwifeschewtoy said:

I was able to hook back up the flapper which gave me back the low and mid grunt I was missing. 

Joel are you serious, low and mid grunt you were missing returned after you re-fitted the flapper, sounds more like a placebo effect! Can't believe that's possible!

Glad everything else is working well for you.

17 hours ago, Grum said:

Joel are you serious, low and mid grunt you were missing returned after you re-fitted the flapper, sounds more like a placebo effect! Can't believe that's possible!

Glad everything else is working well for you.

Well all I know is that when the flapper is disconnected, the bike is noticeably tamer at low end. I have hooked it up and then disconnected it several times. I did not read about it having that affect with other people until I had come to the conclusion myself. I actually liked the riding better with it unhooked as I was able to ride in parking lots without looking like I was on a bucking horse.  Its not that I couldn't ride slow and  cautions, it just took much more throttle concentration. Call it what you want, but I call it tamer with it disconnected. Now that I went up a tooth, I figured I could hook it back up again and it would not be as severe, and it wasn't. I still have a surplus of power but can ride in a lower gear than I was more often....less shifting up and down between lights is a more comfortable ride to me. I am not trying to sell anyone this. I am just reporting my findings in case someone else is bothered by a few of the things I am claiming that it fixed.  To me this is a touring bike that looks sporty. If I wanted a bike that stretched my arms when I jumped on it, I would have bought a cbr1000rr. 

It was only a $20 dollar risk for the sprocket, and you know it doesn't take more than 20 minutes to change. 

I like it and it is staying this way. 

Joel

Surely you have heard time and time again that others claim exactly what I am claiming the flapper does. I have read several posts just in the last month alone. 

Like this one - 

"My opinion on the flapper mod has always been that it only achieves loses and no positives".

quote by VFROZ

thanks

Joel

Archived