Where to ride are ATL area.

bobbyn

I finally moved and have the new house sorted out. No Home Depot trips planned this weekend.

So where does Atlanta  motorcyclists go for a ride? Are there diners, greasy spoons, cafes where you meet before heading out for the days ride? Are the twisty roads 1 hour away, two hours away...?

All I know is to head north and that's about it.

Help a brother out!

Bobby

• Member Contributer

Head north to some of the best riding in the country.  Just don't do it during rush hour which is turning into all the time.  It's good enough that it doesn't matter whether it's one or two hours away.  There's no way I would ride in the Atlanta metro.  One of the most dangerous cities in the country to ride or drive in IMO.  So, there's good news and bad news for you.   

2 hours ago, Bent said:

Head north to some of the best riding in the country.  Just don't do it during rush hour which is turning into all the time.  It's good enough that it doesn't matter whether it's one or two hours away.  There's no way I would ride in the Atlanta metro.  One of the most dangerous cities in the country to ride or drive in IMO.  So, there's good news and bad news for you.   

I was looking at riding up to The Red Top State Park. Any diners on the way?

(As far as city riding, I learned to ride commuting from Queens to Manhattan for 18 years. But I have no desire to ride downtown.)

If you’ve never been, head out to Barber Motorsports Museum. Just about a 2 hour drive from ATL. I was there on Tuesday. Incredible collection. 

Paul in SoCal. 

• Member Contributer

Google Maps!
Find your way to Dahlonaga (there are ways to get there without the highway, it's fun to explore!) and make your way up to Suches on GA60. Stay on 60 through Morganton and McCaysville at the TN line where it becomes TN68. Keep on going and you end up in Tellico Plains where The Cherohala Skyway starts. At this point you'll be wanting to find a hotel room because there are days of riding in the area!

When I lived in Lithia Springs I would make a 400-ish mile day out of it. You may or may not be up for that kind of day on those roads. GA60-TN68 is a destination road in itself, as is the Skyway. And of course on the other side of the mountain is the "World Famous" Deal's Gap. For my money, after the Cherohala ride up 129 to the Deal's Gap store, turn right on 28 and ride an unbelievable road! Usually not very crowded, very unlike Deal's Gap which is generally clogged with all manner of nonsense. 

Maybe do the ride up to Tellico Plains and take a shorter loop back. You'll see the road that takes you off to the Skyway on the right, but pass that and just past the shopping center take the left onto 39. Then another left when 315 branches off, and follow that down to the bridge, then take a left on 30. That will take you all the way down to the Ocoee River. Turn left on 74/64 at the river and that brings you back to 68 in Ducktown. From there you can retrace your route back downTN68 and GA60.

Places to eat in McCaysville GA/Copperhill TN, as well as Tellico Plains.

Plenty of other riding in North GA. 180 out of Suches and Blood Mtn, and other roads in that area but I didn't go that way often. I'm sure someone can point you in that direction, it's a very well travelled motorcycle area. Richard B. Russell, Yonah Mtn etc... I think most of the Atl area riders tend to stick in that area. You can hit NC and SC pretty easy.

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

Google Maps!
Find your way to Dahlonaga (there are ways to get there without the highway, it's fun to explore!) and make your way up to Suches on GA60. Stay on 60 through Morganton and McCaysville at the TN line where it becomes TN68. Keep on going and you end up in Tellico Plains where The Cherohala Skyway starts. At this point you'll be wanting to find a hotel room because there are days of riding in the area!

When I lived in Lithia Springs I would make a 400-ish mile day out of it. You may or may not be up for that kind of day on those roads. GA60-TN68 is a destination road in itself, as is the Skyway. And of course on the other side of the mountain is the "World Famous" Deal's Gap. For my money, after the Cherohala ride up 129 to the Deal's Gap store, turn right on 28 and ride an unbelievable road! Usually not very crowded, very unlike Deal's Gap which is generally clogged with all manner of nonsense. 

Maybe do the ride up to Tellico Plains and take a shorter loop back. You'll see the road that takes you off to the Skyway on the right, but pass that and just past the shopping center take the left onto 39. Then another left when 315 branches off, and follow that down to the bridge, then take a left on 30. That will take you all the way down to the Ocoee River. Turn left on 74/64 at the river and that brings you back to 68 in Ducktown. From there you can retrace your route back downTN68 and GA60.

Places to eat in McCaysville GA/Copperhill TN, as well as Tellico Plains.

Plenty of other riding in North GA. 180 out of Suches and Blood Mtn, and other roads in that area but I didn't go that way often. I'm sure someone can point you in that direction, it's a very well travelled motorcycle area. Richard B. Russell, Yonah Mtn etc... I think most of the Atl area riders tend to stick in that area. You can hit NC and SC pretty easy.

Outstanding advice there.....

• Member Contributer

I'll weigh in on Barber as well; definitely a must see! But, save it for a day where weather is sketchy or too hot. If you're doing a 4 hour round trip on the highway, better to drive it. The museum has bike parking and gear check inside, but cruise control, snacks, A/C, radio... Cars are good too 😉

Some things to be aware of: It's a functioning race track, so check for anything that might be interesting to watch or maybe avoid. IndyCar will be very busy, Barber Vintage Fest in Oct would be cool to check out (also very busy), or go on a weekend with nothing going on to just see the museum.

Also be aware that you'll pass Talladega NASCAR track, so check on their schedule so you don't get caught up in that traffic mess.

By the way, it's only 1 hour to get there, but 3 hours coming home. (Time Zones!) 😄

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 6/1/2018 at 9:06 AM, bobbyn said:

I finally moved and have the new house sorted out. No Home Depot trips planned this weekend.

So where does Atlanta  motorcyclists go for a ride? Are there diners, greasy spoons, cafes where you meet before heading out for the days ride? Are the twisty roads 1 hour away, two hours away...?

All I know is to head north and that's about it.

Help a brother out!

Bobby

So, where have you been riding? Have you found any cool roads on your own?

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

What part of Atlanta are you in? I'm on the North side near exit 12 McFarland PKWY off GA400.

Look up the gauntlet. I ride frequently up that way also during the summer on my white '06. I do a lot of the 129 - 180- back down 60 route to Roswell. I am sure you will pass me at some point with how often I am riding.

Archived