burning smell after new chain and sprockets plus lube.

Hello, 

I just got done putting on a new chain front and rear sprocket and then used Honda Lube on top of that. I had also installed a clutch disc incorrectly as well. I had the first clutch disc on last....got mixed up when stacking them.  So after sorting out the wrong order of discs, the clutch worked great. I also had an issue with the clutch slave cylinder as well and resolved that too. I had to bleed the crap out of it to get a firm lever pull. So here I am a happy camper. Everything is fixed, plastics on, bike shinned up real good, and off I went. Had a great ride for about 25 minutes through town. Even loved the feel of the 82lb Barrett Green springs I added to my clutch. Wasn't a new clutch, everything was in spec so I roughed up the steel plates with steel wool and reinstalled them. Drove through town, lots of stop and go. Got on the freeway to go home a different route. After about 4 miles or so, I smell this burning smell at about 80mph. I slow down to 65 and continue on....no smell, only lasted about 2 seconds. Once Home I saw white grease from the new chain slung everywhere, so that would explain the burning smell.

thanks

Joel

update - took it out for at least 20 miles on multiple back roads and highways. Shifts great up and down. Love the pull of the new springs not too stiff.  

• Member Contributer

No way you could smell anything from your bike at 80mph unless your head was somewhere near your crotch.

38 minutes ago, VFROZ said:

No way you could smell anything from your bike at 80mph unless your head was somewhere near your crotch.

That's what I thought but it came right into my helmet and smelled like burning tires.  What do you care if I like my head in my crotch?

thanks

Joel. 

• Member Contributer

Are you sure it was coming from your bike? As a truck driver I often smell burning rubber and think oh shit I have a flat, nine times out of ten it’s a vehicle in front or passing in the opposite direction, I agree it’s pretty hard to smell your own bike at speed.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, exwifeschewtoy said:

What do you care if I like my head in my crotch?

I don't. I'm just jealous.  😜

15 minutes ago, Philois1984 said:

Are you sure it was coming from your bike? As a truck driver I often smell burning rubber and think oh shit I have a flat, nine times out of ten it’s a vehicle in front or passing in the opposite direction, I agree it’s pretty hard to smell your own bike at speed.

No there is no way to be sure, but after you just install a clutch for the first time,  it is hard to think it is coming from somebody else's ride. 😎

I would check the overflow drains . Sometimes when doing work on your bike they become loose, they run close to the exhaust . You would have no idea they are burning other then smelling it .  They dont do much other they getting ride of overflow 

3 hours ago, VFRUNNER said:

I would check the overflow drains . Sometimes when doing work on your bike they become loose, they run close to the exhaust . You would have no idea they are burning other then smelling it .  They dont do much other they getting ride of overflow 

Never hear of over-flow drains.....gonna have to check the manual on that one. 

Thanks for the tip. 

Joel

Archived