Glacier National Park Aug 28 - Sept 5

paulmeisterpk

• Member Contributer

Hey guys and gals. I'm riding through glacier national park with my GF during the end of August and the beginning of September. We'll be staying on the east side for the first 3 or 4 days, and the west side for the rest of the trip. We are planning on catching the Beartooth Highway on the way home. I'll probably be on my '98 VFR and she's on an '04 FZ6.

Are there any places that are recommended that we make sure not to miss?

Any other tips for the trip?

We're planning on riding the Going-to-the-sun road.

I don't ever get a lot of vacation time from work, so this may be a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

Thanks,

Paul

• Member Contributer

In addition to the above, if you have time to weave in Lolo pass from Lolo, MT to Lewiston ID that's a can't miss road too.  The pic is just past the pass summit near the ID/MT border.  Since this was taken in 2006, the sign has been revised to say "99 miles".   Be sure to gas up in Lolo -  except for an out of the way, easy to miss resort, there's no gas for about 140 miles.  Love that road. 

Lolo Pass, Highway 12, ID

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

In addition to the above, if you have time to weave in Lolo pass from Lolo, MT to Lewiston ID that's a can't miss road too.  The pic is just past the pass summit near the ID/MT border.  Since this was taken in 2006, the sign has been revised to say "99 miles".   Be sure to gas up in Lolo -  except for an out of the way, easy to miss resort, there's no gas for about 140 miles.  Love that road. 

Hey Cogswell, ya making me green with envy, what a great looking stretch of road, your polished rims look bloody fantastic, the Best I've seen. :wheel:

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, Tiutis said:

Glacier is on my to do list but if you do Beartooth on a way home, be sure to hit Chief Joseph! You can thank me later:)

I had never heard of that before. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Member Contributer
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:35 PM, Cogswell said:

If we get some extra time, I'll try to hit that stretch of road up too!

• Member Contributer

We did the Glacier and Going To The Sun Rd last year (2017) in August. Very memorable trip but there is quite a lot of traffic with the custom old-style tour buses and lots of tourists continually stopping in the middle of the road in their cars to gawk but we could not blame them, it was spectacular. If you are going stick around up at the Logan Pass make sure you have warm clothes as it got pretty cold and again unbelievable congestion. Well worth it all though. Bucket list item for sure. It was also the summer of the forest fire out there as we had to choose alternate routes to keep out of the smoke. That photo of the sign is from BC where we rode through days of smoke.

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0048.PNG

• Member Contributer

GNP is awesome, and you are going at a good time of year!

A really cool day long loop is on the west side of Glacier is the Yaak River Rd which is west of Troy MT off hwy 2 where you can ride a fantastic remote and mountaious loop on paved forest service roads  around to Lake Koocanusa and Eureka MT.. You have to drill down into the maps for it, but it is there... Have Fun!!

Also the hwy 2 loop around the south side of GNP is bitchin too...........

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 5/30/2018 at 9:35 PM, Cogswell said:

Lolo Pass, Highway 12, ID

I did that road, all 99 miles, this past summer. There were several single lane closures for repaving. During the first I encountered, I walked to the person holding the sign and traffic for the oncoming lane. Once the pilot got us through the closure I was at the head of the line and with the closure lasting 30 minutes I had hours of no traffic in my lane. And on that road the feeling was True Freedom To Ride. That was the best part of the trip. Highly recommended.

Archived