Little Smokey Wire

Hello,

I am new to the forum and in need of some help...

I have an 07 VFR with about 11,000 miles that has been laid up for a couple of years due some personal health issues. I am looking forward to getting back on the bike but it hasn't been without some set backs. 

After replacing the battery, overhauling the clutch slave cylinder and changing the fuel I was warming the bike up waiting for the cooling fan to come when I noticed there was smoke coming  from the short wire between fuse and the connector. I found a write up to rebuild the harness with 12 gauge wire and the VFRness. I am tempted to go with the harness but want to be sure it eliminates the poorly under sized harness and 30 am fuse completely. I tried the contact us form on the wiremybike.com website but the rechapta thing that verifies you is outdated and wont let me.

If anyone has any experience with the http://www.wiremybike.com/vfr-specific-parts-2002-2009-vfr-parts-2002-2009-vfrness-p-266.html harness and any thoughts on why this would suddenly be a problem I would appreciate your input!

Best regards, 

Doug

• Member Contributer

He hasn't logged in to the forum for a couple of weeks.  He'll be back.  It used to be that the forum would send an email to a member when a PM was sent - that no longer happens - at least with the way my profile is set up.  Maybe there's a trick to that - not sure. 

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Dougsster said:

Still trying to get in touch with @Tightwad If anyone knows where he might be to ask a question I would appreciate it!

Doug

The install video on his website and his profile page here on VFRd show his email as "tilton@gmail.com" -- no idea if it's still active but you can give it a shot.

Unless the design changed, the VFRNess does not replace the 30A fuse on my 2002 VFR.

VFRNess inline fuse + existing 30A fuse.

42479525771_478c3298b3_b.jpg

Crispy pre-VFRness wires:

13632821643_d2355a4e9f_b.jpg

42479356101_b38805db30_b.jpg

• Member Contributer

P.S. As with pretty much every other post on the VFRness I had read, I'm happy with the results.

18482426283_94c6e0c23a_b.jpg

Thank you for the email address and photos @Havagan

I have a much better idea of what is going on now. I have dis-assembled, cleaned the terminals and replaced the wiring with 12 gauge wire and my heat problems seem to have been alleviate. I did check the battery voltage running at the battery and had 14.1 so I am pretty confident my charging system is seeing what it going on at the battery. 

One question for you though, did you have any "accessories" on the bike when the stater connector melted?

Thanks again,

Doug

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Dougsster said:

One question for you though, did you have any "accessories" on the bike when the stater connector melted?

I have a PCIII, dual USB charger, voltmeter, and radar detector that are always connected. On very rare occasions I run an electric vest. My stator connector was replaced at 68, 000 miles after I saw voltage drop down to <12 while riding.

Archived