Rear axle stuck

rhoderage

• Member Contributer

Trying to remove rear axle...

Got the nut and washer off, but the cush&sprocket are stuck.  I've pulled, I've -somewhat-gently- pried, I am not sure the best point of attack.

Suggestions appreciated!

20180527_132518.thumb.jpg.8444f5d2d3e97e617b7350efefff0034.jpg

• Member Contributer

If it has NOT been off in a long time, then its likely rusted on. The inner of the cush is steel & the axle is steel, so if its been used in the wet & not stripped & greased every 2-3years then its will sieze on. So depending on why you want it off will determine what you can do to get it off. If you are doing the bearings then anything goes. So treat the axle end & the back of the cush drive where it enters the hub with some Plus Gas sieze release fluid, or whatever this kind of stuff may be called in Canada. It may take a few treatments over multiple days to get absorbed into the rust & break it down. Then make sure you have removed the brake caliper & anything that may get in the way on the right side of the axle. Use a net or a bungee of something to restrain the disc & axle on the right side, but it has to have some give. Use a piece of hardwood to protect the left side axle end & tap with a lump hammer. It should come free, start tapping gently then increase the impact force. If its does not move after a few blows, apply more sieze release & wait another day & try again.

• Member Contributer

Replacing the rear brake rotor.  I've been adding penetrating oil for 2 days now... will keep at it for the rest of the week

I wanted to be sure its OK to start pounding the axle out as it is, I think that's the only way the sprocket and such will release.  edit I've owned the bike for 5 or so years and I've never had it off, unsure before then but I am doubtful its ever been off.

• Member Contributer

Took mine off after 13 years for a rear disc replacement and it was a bit stuck too. Try a drift or tube onto the washer that is visible on the shaft to shock break the corrosion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2018 at 5:25 PM, rhoderage said:

Trying to remove rear axle...

Got the nut and washer off, but the cush&sprocket are stuck.  I've pulled, I've -somewhat-gently- pried, I am not sure the best point of attack.

Suggestions appreciated!

20180527_132518.thumb.jpg.8444f5d2d3e97e617b7350efefff0034.jpgIt would be good to have an update.  

• Member Contributer

Late to respond here, but the cush drive assembly doesn't always just fall off once you remove the nut and washer. You have to pry off the axle collar if it there is any kind of corrosion/crud. Check out this video at 4:39 in.

• Member Contributer

Wow thanks for this!  I ended up giving up (for now) and buttoning the bike back up for the season to get on the road.  I will swap rotors in the winter... this is great, now that I know i should be prying that collar out I'm optimistic it will make the difference.

• 4 weeks later...

the way I did it, 2 stage :

1. wiggle the sprocket off by hand (use 2 hands on both sides of the sprocket- not much force is needed, wiggle & pull)

( U can use some wd40 on the conical washer, i did not, even though it had some rust )

2. Take the other half off by gently tapping it with a hammer ( photos 1-4 ), tapp and rotate axle 180 degrees, repeat...

( rubber might fall off - see photo for the correct large/small rubber reassembly orientation  )

( no need for the big hammer attached in the photo)

Good luck.

p.s :

A. To take off the sprocket mount,  release one front balt of the chain gard and stretch the chain tensioner as far as it goes while chain is off - see photo #6.

B. When reassembling remember : the washer has an orientation to it AND the Nut should be staked (since its "wet torqued" with lube it might get free and opened if not secured )

IMG_20180707_133840.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Archived