Fan not working

jaydj

Greetings -- question for you all:

The fan on my 2000VFR recently stopped working.  I replaced the coolant, carefully burped the system, and replaced the thermo-switch on the Left radiator (though I did not re-burp the system which had a little coolant loss after I put in the switch).  I brought the temp up too 231 and it still would not kick on..  Any ideas for what I can try next?  I will def be needing the fan in the summer temps and traffic here.  Please let me know..  Thank you, JD

fuse ?  check to be sure the fan blades aren't being obstructed by debris.  could be that the plug to fan is loose.

Ah, the fan plug.  I will check that.  Where located?  The blades are free.  I did replace the blown fuse first, but still no power up.  

• Member Contributer

The fan motor should have a live 12V feed at all times, the  connection to earth then happens through the thermoswitch. So you should be able to see 12V between the female spade terminal on the thermoswitch wire, and a good ground point, any time the ignition is switched on. If not you need to find out why there is no upstream power.

• Member Contributer

When you installed the new thermo switch did you possibly put any sealing tape or paste on the threads?  That could interrupt the connection to ground.   A possible problem with bleeding the cooling system is do so on the center stand.  If on the side stand the rad cap is the highest point in the system and will get all the air out.  If not bled completely, that combined with the coolant loss when replacing the switch could leave enough of a coolant gap that the switch is not covered with coolant and hence will not operate. 

Archived