Mystery washers found

Bigdan

During slow speed manuvers practice, I set     her down at 2-3 MPH.  Damage to farings = 0🙏.   Minor scratch to TRex slider and exterior of one mirror, virtually unnoticeable!

I found a few washers after I picked her up.  The washers my have been in the parking-lot already, not sure.  I heard nothing come loose or rattle.  Bike runs perfect 👌.

*My question is anybody know where the washers in attached photo may be from?

3623E8AA-63FF-4BA7-816C-A4C6C13F9C63.jpeg

2 hours ago, KevCarver said:

Possibly the rear brake lever pivot?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/3   (look under PEDAL)

Man, I just had a deja vu moment - I could swear this topic came up before, either here or on VFRW and I could swear it was the same two parts that were being wondered on...  Tried to find the thread/posts but came up dry...   My guess back then was the same as Kev (although the exploded view makes it look like the washer is smaller than the circlip)

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

Holds brake lever on at pivot point... You'll need circlip pliers to get it back on. See service manual.

How’s that for irony, falls off in a tip over but you need pliers to put it back on?

How’s that for irony, falls off in a tip over but you need pliers to put it back on?

Lever principle (pun unintended).

Give me a 40 ft long golden jabbing stick...

So it's only held in its little slot by pressure but 250kg of bike tipping onto the end of the brake pedal is way more force than we apply with the circlip pliers. Physics Jim, but just as we know it. Try getting that bugger back on with your fingers.

It happened to me in the middle of La Mancha (aka nowhere) and I didn't have circlip pliers in my already extended-beyond-OEM toolkit. The pedal held up until the town of Cuenca where (I knew) there was a mechanic.

You could ride for quite some time and not know that circlip was missing. The brake pedal doesn't just fall straight off real easily.

• Member Contributer

I don't think those two parts came off the same shaft. The snap ring looks too small to fit the shaft that

the washer came off.

I agree completely the rear brake lever diagnosis.  I've done this exact same thing and got the exact same results (those two parts).  Yes, they are both from the same place, the inside end of the rear brake lever shaft (on mine you could even see the outline of the snap-ring in the greasy grime buildup on the larger washer).  They're a little hard to put back on (on the VFR800) because the rear cylinder exhaust headers pass very close to the backside of the rear brake lever.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

I don't think those two parts came off the same shaft. The snap ring looks too small to fit the shaft that

the washer came off.

Had the same feelings FJ12, until I zoomed right in on the washer and you can see the marking on the washer as to where the Circlip has rubbed. Guess the circlip becomes a fair bit larger once installed.

Archived