Rear seat cowl bolts for 97 VFR750

Help me Obi-Viffers, you're my only hope...

I bought a pristine, single (highly OCD) owner, 1997 VFR750 and I can't seem to find the bolts that go through the front tabs of the rear seat cowl when it's on.  I've attached some pictures.  I might have the bolts, but they don't seem to fit.  

Help needed...

1.  Pictures of said bolts from your bike to compare to the ones I have

2.  Link to OEM replacement parts

3.  Extras you'd like to sell via PM

Thanks ya'll,

Nozz

IMG_5518.jpg

IMG_5520.jpg

• Member Contributer

Those'd be the Frankenbolts...

90113-MY7-000 (bolt)

and

90502-MY7-000 (collar)

You can do other things using different Honda and aftermarket parts, but that's the OEM solution.  Google the part number for pics.  The collar is important (or something with an equivalent function) because it prevents the bolt from pressing directly onto the fairing plastic when tightened.

Interesting extended brake lever!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I don't think I've ever met a 4th gen owner that's a fan those bolts.  I had one fall out on a ride once that I thought was well secured.  I do recall a probably now long lost thread about someone that adapted quick release pins for that application.  I don't recall how it was done but they did look ok (minus the split ring).

http://www.avibank.com/products/ball-lok-quick-release-pins/standard-b-handle-pin.html

Gr8VFR, why are the CBR900RR bolts better?  Just appearance?  Functionally better?

I might order both VFR and CBR900RR versions, one to keep as stock as possible, and the other for daily rides.  

Oh, and I hate the shift and brake lever, as I have to return that to normal.  Probably sell that or give it away to another VFR rider.

Thanks y'all!  

• Member Contributer

It looks like you have a couple of other bolts missing (further forward) from the tail piece too. 

The OEM VFR bolt just looks cheap. Once they get used, weathered they are hard to clean. The screw driver slot gets jagged and good luck finding a screw driver big enough for the slot.

Here are pictures of both versions of VFR bolt. Both are way too long and stick farther off the bike than any bolt should. The CBR900RR bolt is just the right size and doesn't look out of place on the bike.

The one on the Right is for the 4th Gen. The left is 5th Gen. Honda got rid of the collar and used a better quality metal.

SDC19309.JPG

SDC19310.JPG

SDC19311.JPG

It looks like you are also missing the bolts which hold on the plastics by your knee...

And why were lowering links put on the foot pegs?

The VFR drags pegs in the turns bad enough without putting them closer to the road surface.

Did you buy the bike from an old guy who did not use the VFR for what it does best? Everything.

If you want those two missing bolts, I have two options for you:

1. Paypal me 6.00 and I will mail you two of them.

2. Meet me in Seattle next Monday and I will hand you two of them.

That is the best deal I can give you.

14 hours ago, gr8vfr said:

It looks like you are also missing the bolts which hold on the plastics by your knee...

And why were lowering links put on the foot pegs?

The VFR drags pegs in the turns bad enough without putting them closer to the road surface.

Did you buy the bike from an old guy who did not use the VFR for what it does best? Everything.

Nice catch!  They're there, it just the mechanic put it back together in the incorrect sequence (4 new spark plugs and a tune up).  Thanks for catching that.  I fix that right away.

I did buy the bike from an older gentleman who barely put 750 miles on it per year.  You're 2 for 2.  He is a retired Boeing engineer, sadly who has severe Alzheimer's and I purchased it from his family. I had both a 1999 and 2001 VFR800, and once I sold those (shouldn't have), I went looking for the classic RC46.  Single owner who loved this one and babied it.  One small rub on the right fairing, it looked brand new.  Maybe add a yellow 2000 VFR800 to my stable down the road.  I always loved that year, as I see you have it.  

I'm removing those lowering links/pegs, rear brake lever extender, and his older saddle bags, tank bags, and other accoutrements.  Free to a good home!

3 hours ago, gr8vfr said:

If you want those two missing bolts, I have two options for you:

1. Paypal me 6.00 and I will mail you two of them.

2. Meet me in Seattle next Monday and I will hand you two of them.

That is the best deal I can give you.

Are you referring to the 2 missing bolts for the rear seat cowl?  Or the bolts by my knees?  If they're the rear cowl bolts, I'll take those!  And what brings you to Seattle?  I may or may not be back on Monday, depends on my work/flight schedule.  PayPal works too.  I'm happy to ride, but I might be severely jet lagged coming back from Shanghai.

Nozz

IMG_5556.JPG

IMG_5557.JPG

IMG_5554.JPG

IMG_5555.JPG

On 5/27/2018 at 1:45 PM, gr8vfr said:

The screw driver slot gets jagged and good luck finding a screw driver big enough for the slot.

That screw driver can be found in your wallet, it is called a coin

I have been doing a project with DoVA in the North West. I am in Oregon and Washington often. Walla Walla was interesting.

I don't have extra seat cowl bolts. 

From what I can see is: You do not need the bolts by your knees.

When you pull out the plastic, I can see the bolts mounted to the bike.

IMG_5556.thumb.JPG.f18e1fce148b365d055e9901a97b9bbc[1].JPG

7 hours ago, koekum said:

That screw driver can be found in your wallet, it is called a coin

OK... Maybe that is how his were lost. If you can get those lose with a coin, they might not be tight enough.

In 100,000+ miles of riding VFRs, I have never had to remove the seat cowl while riding. Lucky, I guess.

Those bolts don't need to come out if you are not using a seat cowl. Just pop the seat off.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, gr8vfr said:

. If you can get those lose with a coin, they might not be tight enough.

Us Dutch have STRONG fingers because we stick 'm in dikes !!! :goofy:

Archived