My first resto...

So I've recently acquired a 2002 VFR800 VTec that's been sat, unused for about 4 or 5 years. I've already decided it's going to get a full nut and bolt restoration and as this is my first resto, could do with some help and tips from any seasoned professionals.

My plans so far are (in no particular order):

Colour change to white including swingarm black (should this be painted or powerdercoated)

Wheels powdercoated

New tyres

Full stainless steel exhaust system

All fasteners and bolts replaced with stainless steel

Braided brake and clutch lines

Fork lowers need painting

Fork stanchions need some spot rusts polishing out

Replace all gaskets, seals and rubber bits

New chain, sprockets and brake pads (discs seem to have some good life left in them)

Suspension at both ends will almost certainly need renewing/replacing

I'm not really into getting in to the internals of the engine, so can anyone recommend someone that can go over the engine and replace/rebuild it based in the UK? The nearer to Norfolk the better!

Will keep you all up to date with the progress!

• Member Contributer

If you're going as far as taking the swingarm out then it should be powder coated along with the fork lowers

Rusty stanchions should be polished and replated, not worth leaving it

Id do an oil change, look for debris in the oil, put a new battery in and fire it up

Whats the recorded mileage?

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Thumbs said:

If you're going as far as taking the swingarm out then it should be powder coated along with the fork lowers

Rusty stanchions should be polished and replated, not worth leaving it

Id do an oil change, look for debris in the oil, put a new battery in and fire it up

Whats the recorded mileage?

Turn the crank to make sure it isn't seized up? Other than that, yeah hard to kill a VFR engine.

Archived