16,000 mile service

Aeolo

• Member Contributer

Check the text and pics in the post by Fink

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Mohawk said:

So the manufacturers don't just make up the valve adjustment intervals, they work them out using prototype engine tests which run for 100's of thousands of mile son dyno's. Then based on their tests.  The reason the price varies is down to check verses replace, so to check the mechanic has to strip the fairings, tank, radiator etc just to get access. To adjust means removing the cams even if only one valve is out in one head, then half the cams have to come out, shims changed, cams reinstalled & timed correctly, then everything put back together. It was much easier on the 5th gens, with gear cams than later models with chains. But it is a lot of work. Ask for a printed set of clearances & or which if any valves need shims changed. You are entitled to this info, if they refuse don't use them. Also ask for pics with the cam covers off, just to prove it was done.

You can save some money by removing the lower fairing sides, saves about 30minutes of mechanic rates.

For those who advocate NOT doing the checks because someone else said theirs was fine, just remember for everyone that was fine, there is probably one that needed doing & if you leave it to long, you risk burning out a valve seat, which is a head off, new valve & new valve seat, which will cost 3-4 times as much as a check. Remember this is your bike, so don't trust random strangers who will not pay to fix YOUR bike if it goes wrong. Also if you try to sell it later, if the check was NOT done, then I & most of those that advise not to check would demand a discount on your price, so its your choice.  Great if like me you can do your own, but if paying for it, its a steep bill.

Your choice, YMMV.

LOL, a discount on a bike that is worth very little either used or new.  A VFR isn't a bike to buy with a selling used end price in mind.  VFR buyers are cheap, in general, willing to spend a lot of their time riding but placing very little monetary value on the bike itself.  Why worry about valve adjustment when a low mileage used engine can be found cheaper than the price of a valve check usually.    

• Member Contributer

"VFR owners are cheap"

There speaks a man who has not tried selling BMW parts

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

• Member Contributer

I just had my fifth gen's valve check at 56,000 miles. All in spec. My first fifth gen started running a little rough at about 70,000 - 80,000 miles. My Honda shop did them and all was well. Another was done in the 30,000 - 40,000 miles range and all was in spec.

My plan from now on is to have them looked at when the Swis-Watch-like operation diminishes. As always, YMMV.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Thumbs said:

"VFR owners are cheap"

There speaks a man who has not tried selling BMW parts

Anyone that buys a BMW that needs to buy BMW parts has made the first mistake in not leasing the BMW car.  BMW bikes, a different story.  

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I just had my fifth gen's valve check at 56,000 miles. All in spec. My first fifth gen started running a little rough at about 70,000 - 80,000 miles. My Honda shop did them and all was well. Another was done in the 30,000 - 40,000 miles range and all was in spec.

My plan from now on is to have them looked at when the Swis-Watch-like operation diminishes. As always, YMMV.

A fifth gen isn’t an 8 th gen.  How out of spec were they? 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, fink said:

A fifth gen isn’t an 8 th gen.  How out of spec were they? 

I did not get that information. At the time it did not occur to me to ask.

I agree they are different engines.  

On 5/27/2018 at 11:13 PM, fink said:

Shimmed bikes go quiet when tolerances go out of spec. 

Hows that?  I would have thought that with some wear clearances would increase? Surely the valve seat is well hardened and doesn’t recess that easily?

Anyway, I tend to over service, preventative maintenance is always cheaper than a breakdown.  

For those interested...

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-do-bikes-use-shim-under-bucket-valve-adjusters

Cams and shims are hardened also.  Valve seat wears and clearance decreases.  This is what usually happens on all motors.

Archived