7th Gen Coffman's Shorty

Megadan

To start off, yes it will be loud.  Not as loud as you might think, but loud.  A few tests done on other bikes have shown it to actually be quieter than an open Two brothers exhaust at higher RPM, but a couple of decibels louder at idle with the silencer removed.  Considering my bike had a burned out Two brothers system installed, this should actually be an improvement for me in regards to noise, and I like the look a lot more.  The price for this is $230 shipped.  If you are interested in ordering one, they do not have it listed on their website as of writing this post.  Mine was actually one of the first ones sold right after coming back from being ceramic coated.  You will have to contact them by phone or e-mail to order.

The price doesn't entirely reflect the quality of this part.  It is stainless steel with a CNC machined tip.  The black ceramic coating is of a decent quality and all of the parts are machined well and fit tightly. 
coffman4.jpg.615e8cf281b95436d14056423c820bc1.jpg

Here you can see the end baffle installed and held in place with a snap ring.  On the back side of that is a secondary perforated baffle to help force the exhaust flow into the packing.
coffman5.jpg.3f3d083c6b4eb5262d4ef73be18a41a7.jpg

Just for fun, but a little side by side size comparison with the old Two Brothers system.
coffman3.jpg.a6f28ada67d39d5b570990e58a59d28c.jpg

Moving on to the exhaust installed...

First thing I want to note about this exhaust is that since it has no bracket to hold it in position, Coffman's method for securing it in order to prevent rotation is the use of a small pop rivet.  They include two of them with it in the packaging.  It requires that you drill a small 9/64ths hole into the factory exhaust flange where the system clamps on.  I ran into one issue when installing it, which was the fact that the hole is located on the inside when mounted on the bike, so unless you have an angled air drill, getting the access to drill the hole is nearly impossible.  My solution to this was to use their pre-drilled hole as a guide to drill across to the other side in order to place it on the left side of the bike, slightly facing down.  This gave perfect access for drilling the hole and installing the pop rivet.  To be fair, this situation may have been avoided if I simply installed it level with the ground, but I wanted the tip to angle up. 

If you are worried about the weight of it hanging off with no support, this whole setup weighs in at about 2.5lbs.

This is what I ended up with once installed.

Coffman.jpg.949de40cb5f1c1ba4a869ef2786d6da9.jpg

I could have angled it up a little more, but I wanted to leave a bit of an air gap with the suspension linkage, as you can see here, there is about 8mm of gap between the system and the nut on the lower linkage nut and bolt.  Since the linkage moves away from the exhaust when compressed, this is as close as it will ever get to it, so I find it acceptable.

coffman2.jpg.d8d670ebd0740e9dc08b8d26259bc96f.jpg

I don't have any clips of it running yet either as I am waiting for my ECU to arrive at Guhl and then be returned.  If all goes to plan then I should have my bike running next weekend as I already got my suspension back from Daugherty Motorsport and installed on the bike.  I will update this thread with an opinion on how loud it is as well as a video of it with it in all 3 stages of it's setup - Fully open, exit baffle, and internal + exit baffle (factory setup).  I also plan on taking a few pictures once my bike is back together fully to show how it looks at a distance from a few different angles.  If desired, I can try to get some decibel readings of the exhaust as well.

• Member Contributer

Very nice install, huge improvement in looks over the Two Brothers IMO. Look forward to a sound clip once the ECU is back in.

Cheers.

Now that I have my bike back together, I can share some better pictures of how it looks!
33602797_10156345413256992_7064612175557427200_n.jpg.d755bf50b6b590aaebe771286ad15e1e.jpg

33363942_10156345413361992_4857774312909701120_n.jpg.9eee09a915f1cb0acd7dd50fa17c6c6e.jpg

33343547_10156345413446992_7631713773216071680_n.jpg.034bd5f9e40530fc6de0b27c20c6b288.jpg

Waiting on some new batteries for my camera to arrive, so no video yet.  I promise I will get one!

Took it for the first ride since doing all of the upgrades.  With the baffles in it is surprisingly tolerable.  Maybe too loud for some, but I did not find it intrusive or irritating in the slightest. At 75mph in 6th gear it was more than quiet enough that I could comfortably take a long trip without it getting on my nerves.  Absolutely zero drone
I have a feeling that will change once I take the silencer and baffle out.

• Member Contributer

Have to be one of the best lookin 1200's I've seen. Look forward to your video/sound clip. Nice photos obviously taken with a Canon no doubt!!:wacko: The paint job looks glorious in the sun. That Coffman is a Huge improvement in looks IMO. Lucky you.

Cheers.

48 minutes ago, Grum said:

Have to be one of the best lookin 1200's I've seen. Look forward to your video/sound clip. Nice photos obviously taken with a Canon no doubt!!:wacko: The paint job looks glorious in the sun. That Coffman is a Huge improvement in looks IMO. Lucky you.

Cheers.

Kind words sir, thank you.  The pictures were actually taken with my Cell phone lol.  Just had to get the lighting and perspective right.

I love this paint, although being a House of Kolor pearl paint job, it's not too surprising it's so stunning.  Does amazing things in different lighting.

33505431_10156345413501992_8077237289245212672_n.jpg.b3f3656df675f6a4e04bb05088536ee6.jpg

• Member Contributer

Your bike looks great! Love the paint and that Coffman exhaust. I already have a DAM on mine but my wife's 2012 still has the monstrous stock exhaust. This looks like a great option. I only see the VFR 800 version on the reseller site in Canada and on the US Coffman site though. It's not the same one for both is it? I see in your post that an email or call is recommended so I'll send Coffman a message. I like The Punisher touch as well.

Heard from Coffman. The 1200 version currently only sold through eBay and not their web site.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222988408912

Archived