midpipe and o2 delete all that is required?

I found this midpipe on ebay and an o2 delete as well. I would like to remove that catalytic converter but save my headers. I am also interested in hearing the stock exhaust without the cat converter before I decide whether to spend bucks on a slip on. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/05-HONDA-INTERCEPTOR-800-VFR800-EXHAUST-MIDPIPE-MID-MIDDLE-PIPE/252818652964?hash=item3add2a7f24:g:808AAOSwWxNYzDUo

o2 eliminator

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O2-OXYGEN-LAMBDA-SENSOR-ELIMINATOR-Honda-VFR-800-1998-2010-98-10-EL44/232433402389?epid=1339486851&hash=item361e1c4215:g:T-AAAMXQkl9RdM1M

Am I missing anything necessary?  Will it run too lean without a power commander?  I am doing this for better sound not performance.

Thanks for all your help as always. 

Joel

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, exwifeschewtoy said:

I would like to remove that catalytic converter but save my headers. I am also interested in hearing the stock exhaust without the cat converter before I decide whether to spend bucks on a slip on. 

… I am doing this for better sound not performance.

Removing the cat won't make your VFR sound any better. No VFR sounds particularly good with stock exhaust.

But they all sound much nicer with a slip-on, and it needn't be that much louder. I admit to missing the gear-drive whine on my VTec, though.

Hey .

Not worth the work for what you get.   

I have deleted my cat before.  I cut open the can that holds the cat and then welded it back .  The sound you get is more meaty . Does sound better then stock  but after removing the cat the air flow is not running smoothly through the exhaust . Witch ends up making a choppy sound . It also make a backfiring noise .. 

If you want to change the exhaust  I would just wait until you do the whole thing . I went with the delkevic kit . It deletes the cat and the 02 senor the right way and it sounds so much  better because the air flow has no restrictions.  

http://www.delkevic.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5115&search=Vfr800&page=3

I ran mine for a while with the stock cat gutted. It ran fine with no issues at all as long as you use the original O2 sensors. Now if you ever want to delete the O2s by using the resisters or optimizers you WILL need a power commander. I know this first hand. Long story short I bought a set of 1999 headers that have no cat and used the O2 simulators and it was so rich it was unreal. When deleting the O2s it put the bikes ecm into a base map mode which it about 12.1 to 1 across the board. Horrible gassy and exhaust covered in soot. Driving easy I got about 32mpg. I ended up getting the power commander and set the auto tune to 13.5 in the low RPMs and cruise area and it was amazing. Engine is so smooth and exhaust is clean. Runs so much better. On a 100 miles trip the other day I got just at 42mpg. I've been dialing in the tune better every day. so if you don't want the expense of a power commander then leave the O2s hooked up.

Archived