Glorious day in the Pacific Northwest

• Member Contributer

A truly outstanding day of weather in the Pac Northwest was a great excuse for a run up the Columbia River Gorge to the Rowena overlook.  It's one of the best views of this geologic feature.  Lots of bicycles going up the twisty run to the summit - so care and judicious speed was called for on the blind corners.  At the summit 2 bicyclists I passed pulled up and started a conversation.  One turned to me and asked if my bike was new.  Nope - nearly 10 years now.  Then he told me I had passed them on the way up and thanked me for passing respectfully.  He mentioned that he "rides some" as he pointed to my bike, but didn't mention what.  (I don't think he could have ID'd my 6th gen).  Then he added - "man, that thing sounds good!  It's not so loud like a Harley - it just sounds so - so good!!"  I told him I had used a Dremel to cut the exhaust tips out of the 4 stock exhaust openings to open it up some - and that I hoped it wasn't too obnoxious.  "No - no - it just sounds so good!.  I wished him a good ride as we parted. 

I think the VFR has to be the least understood and under-appreciated of any bike out there.  Those of us that love and treasure them know what we have and likely wouldn't trade them for anything else (not that there isn't always room for an additional ride).  But why the riding public at large doesn't "get" the VFR is beyond me.   They seem to be far better received in Europe - but in the U.S. the VFR  has stayed mostly in the shadows of the motorcycling consciousness.   Why remains a mystery to me - one I'll probably never solve.

https://goo.gl/maps/9mGd7fPptu32

View looking East up the Columbia River Gorge 5.13.18

Rowena 5.13.18.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm green with envy Cogswell, nice photo and looks like a fabulous place to ride. Perhaps it's just a Harley thing as to why your fellow American riders don't get the VFR?.

Had a gutted set of standard pipes on my 2004. Cut the ends caps off, removed the innards re-welded the end caps. Look was stock standard, but the sound wasn't, sounded just beautiful, got many a favourable comment.

Cheers.:beer:

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Such a beautiful part of the country.  I was there two years ago, rented a Bonneville and had the time of my life.  Hope you have more photos to share.

Archived