Is Motosport the cheapest place for new tires?

Not sure If I am stepping on the toes of any sponsors or not. If so please remove my post.  I just found this sale on tires and they seemed so good that I thought I would ask if anyone has ever seen better prices. In addition to the low prices most manufacturers are offering 50-75 visa card rebates as well. 

I have narrowed it down to 

https://www.motosport.com/metzeler-roadtec-z8-interact-tire-combo

After buying the tires and paying 50 dollars to have them mounted and balanced all in all It would cost me 230 bucks total after rebate. I find that a great deal but wanted to know if my tire choice was good for the vfr800. I don't do hardly any twisty driving as there aren't many of those roads near me, so mostly town and highway driving and ocassionally a little light rain driving when I am hauling butt to get home before the storm hits. 

Joel

• Member Contributer

I had a quick look at your link. That price is for a 110/70/17 front, 160/60/17 combo.

Your bike tires should be 120/70/17 front, 180/55/17 rear.

If you go to the drop down menus for sizes in your link you will see the 120/70/17 cost an extra $61 dollars, and the 180/55/19 rear an extra $9. This makes a total of $298 before rebates.

Riders domain shows the proper combo for $267.74 before rebates. They also ship for free over $79.

oops missed that so many of the tires I looked at automatically had my tires in the spot so I didn't notice.....could have been costly if I hadn't noticed. 

thanks

I will check out the site you mentioned.

Joel

• Member Contributer

On the average, I have found Rider’s Domain to be the best for tire prices. They even fill out the rebate and automatically submit it for you. When I order tires from them, I usually get them in two days. I’m sure if one did some internet searching you might find a cheaper deal once in a while, but the last few times I’ve done this, I’ve ended back at Rider’s Domain as the deal wasn’t enough to make me go somewhere I’ve never shopped before.

in case you may not have heard of Rider’s Domain, they were formerly called Jake Wilson, and are owned by the same company as Rocky Mountain ATV.

• Member Contributer

I've done business with Rider's Domain when they were still Jake Wilson and have always had a good experience

with them.

My bike's tire are still ok for now. Do tires typically go on sale with rebates like this at the end of the season again, or should I just get them now and sit on them until I need them?

Joel

Rebated are all usually gone by June 30.

RidersDomain.com, is not only cheapest, you get 3% off on the back end for next time.

Tire prices are much more expensive this year. The last few year it was easy for me to sell sets for 200.00 installed.

This year the average price is 250.00 a set installed for 180/55 - 120/70-17.

• Member Contributer
41 minutes ago, gr8vfr said:

RidersDomain.com, is not only cheapest, you get 3% off on the back end for next time.

Tire prices are much more expensive this year. The last few year it was easy for me to sell sets for 200.00 installed.

This year the average price is 250.00 a set installed for 180/55 - 120/70-17.

Bloody hell you guys are lucky $250 for a set installed!! Cost me $200 just for a front Road 5, a 180/55/17 rear in a Road 5 is around $310 fitted and balanced. Ripp off prices in Australia.

What tires do you get for $250 a set installed?

http://www.ridewnc.net/services.html

Right now my cheapest tires are 016.

PR5s are way overpriced. Same with the T31Evo and the RoadSmartIII.

I am not a business, so that keeps cost way down.

I do tires almost anytime day or night, seven days a week and that keeps the riders coming.

I have better tools than all the MC shops in the area and better than most shops in the world.

I forgot to add...

Rebates are there to rotate out old stock. So don't be surprised if you get a 2016 tire.

The longer you wait the fresher the tires might be. (MIGHT)

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, gr8vfr said:

Totally agree on R.D. (formerly Jake Wilson) for tires.  Not only do they have best pricing, but they ship same day - they actually have the inventory they advertise on their site.  I have never been disappointed with the date code on tires (mostly Michelin) I've gotten from them.   IIRC they claim to have 3 day shipping nationwide.

• Member Contributer
On 5/13/2018 at 5:35 AM, gr8vfr said:

I do tires almost anytime day or night, seven days a week and that keeps the riders coming.

I have better tools than all the MC shops in the area and better than most shops in the world.

Just curious - how do you dispose of the old tires?   My method so far has been to cut the carcass in to 1/3's with a Sawzall and then use some big a$$ bolt cutters to cut the wire in the bead.  That at least makes them disposable in the trash - but I would prefer to see them recycled. 

I used to do tires with a friend sometimes and there was a car tire shop around the corner took the old MC tires for free. Just add them to the pile, they said.

• Member Contributer

Costco will take tires for free. At least the here in Cypress, Ca. Before I found this out, I took them to a tire shop a few blocks down the road from me, cost $2.00/each to leave them with him.

On 5/12/2018 at 2:48 PM, FromMaine said:

I had a quick look at your link. That price is for a 110/70/17 front, 160/60/17 combo.

Your bike tires should be 120/70/17 front, 180/55/17 rear.

If you go to the drop down menus for sizes in your link you will see the 120/70/17 cost an extra $61 dollars, and the 180/55/19 rear an extra $9. This makes a total of $298 before rebates.

Riders domain shows the proper combo for $267.74 before rebates. They also ship for free over $79.

Damn, beat me to it
+1 for Riders Domain

• Member Contributer
On 5/13/2018 at 2:55 PM, Cogswell said:

Totally agree on R.D. (formerly Jake Wilson) for tires.  Not only do they have best pricing, but they ship same day - they actually have the inventory they advertise on their site.  I have never been disappointed with the date code on tires (mostly Michelin) I've gotten from them.   IIRC they claim to have 3 day shipping nationwide.

Talk about eating Crow . . . I just finished placing my order with them for a fresh set.  All is well - each size listed shows a green checkmark with "5+ in stock".  Once my order was complete I went back through my profile to review it.  It shows under "Order Status" - "Problem with order".    ?Huh? :unsure:  Soooo I click on it to see what the problem is:  " These items are on backorder. All backorder items will ship when all the items are in stock: "   I doubled back to re-check each item - yep - both showing "5+ In stock". 

They're closed now.  I'll be calling them 1st thing tomorrow and find out which is correct.  Will report back tomorrow if the "In Stock" product status can be trusted when ordering and if not, how they handle it.   I'm not waiting for some undetermined date for tires to ship.  Sheez!   This is the 1st issue of any kind I've ever had with them (and I don't even know if it's an issue just yet . . .  fingers crossed). 

• Member Contributer
On 5/13/2018 at 8:35 AM, gr8vfr said:

I like the 016's on the rc51.  

Put a set of Z8's on my 8th generation from Rocky Mountain for ~$250 + $100 on bike mount and balance , just got back from an 1800 mi mountain romp through NC, VA, and WVA and I'm happy with the tires.  Caveat: All new tires feel great to me, kinda like getting a new bike--I'll see how I feel in about 3000 more miles.

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Talk about eating Crow . . . I just finished placing my order with them for a fresh set.  All is well - each size listed shows a green checkmark with "5+ in stock".  Once my order was complete I went back through my profile to review it.  It shows under "Order Status" - "Problem with order".    ?Huh? :unsure:  Soooo I click on it to see what the problem is:  " These items are on backorder. All backorder items will ship when all the items are in stock: "   I doubled back to re-check each item - yep - both showing "5+ In stock". 

They're closed now.  I'll be calling them 1st thing tomorrow and find out which is correct.  Will report back tomorrow if the "In Stock" product status can be trusted when ordering and if not, how they handle it.   I'm not waiting for some undetermined date for tires to ship.  Sheez!   This is the 1st issue of any kind I've ever had with them (and I don't even know if it's an issue just yet . . .  fingers crossed). 

Update on this.  Turns out the tires I ordered were indeed in stock.  The "out of stock problem" on my order was caused by me shipping the tires to a different address rather than the billing address.   That tosses a flag so that when I called, the agent just wanted to ask me a few security questions to confirm the separate delivery.  Turned out to be no big deal - showing as shipped today.  I have to give RD 2 thumbs up for their phone support -  they answer right away, very nice, knowledgeable and easy to work with. 

6 hours ago, Zeta said:

Put a set of Z8's on my 8th generation from Rocky Mountain for ~$250 + $100 on bike mount and balance , just got back from an 1800 mi mountain romp through NC, VA, and WVA and I'm happy with the tires.  Caveat: All new tires feel great to me, kinda like getting a new bike--I'll see how I feel in about 3000 more miles.

When I hear stuff like this, I just shake my head and think I don't charge enough.

And I install a 90* valve on the front and a straight aluminum on the rear.

20 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Why not a 90° on the rear too? I like mine, makes things more convenient.

I install them for free with every new tire change. If I did the rear, it would cut more into my profits.

The rider is already getting a 20.00 tire change.

Most owners don't know I installed them until they get home.

Another reason why they always come back.

Archived