VF500F vacuum fuel valve

Blake

I recently rebuilt my vacuum fuel valve on my 1985 VF500F, it was gutted when I bought the bike. The new valve works when the bike is off no fuel flows, no leaks, no fuel coming out of the vacuum line when vacuum is applied.

My problem is that the bike will run with the fuel valve on off. I rode 3 miles and there was no sign of it stopping. I have taken apart the valve and re checked to be sure I put the parts in correctly and they seem to be. 

Can anyone give me some help in why this valve doesn’t work? Can you run a bike for that long with the valve on off, I wouldn’t think so?  

Thanks

• Member Contributer

There is a separate rubber that controls the on-off-reserve.

1.thumb.jpg.38d3719d4b2081969a64cb539e883401.jpg.666019cfc1f1bc1b500e9b706b75c832.jpg

It requires drilling the rivets and tapping M3

http://400v4service.nl/content/2014/12/Reparatie-benzinekraan-RC-30-dec-2014

Thanks Dutchy but this is not the fuel valve I have. The inside does not have the 4 ports. This is a pic before I rebuilt it. It was gutted on the inside. 

18B7695C-E317-40DB-B8A6-8147B8EA8EF8.jpeg

Dutchy you was right! It is the rubber gasket in the on off reserve knob. Sorry for misunderstanding you at first. So do you happen to know where to buy these rubber gasket parts?

thanks

• Member Contributer

http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=42

But beware, HONDA fitted different taps during the VF500F's reign....

I ordered the wrong one, but luckily the guy that was helping me had one from a VFR400 on hand. So we could fix right away.

So if your bike is not your daily runner, I'd open the tap, measure the diameter and drop NRP a note when you order. Just to be 100% sure before the enveloppe crosses the Atlantic. :goofy:

Ok and ill be sure to measure.I have an 800 as my daily runner so no problem if this sits. 

Thanks a packet. Really appreciate your help   

Blake

• Member Contributer

You are very welcome; that is what VFRD is for....   

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

That is NOT the rubber that governs On-Off-Reserve.

The one shown is the vaccuum valve that shuts when the engine stops when carb #1 stops sucking.

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

That is NOT the rubber that governs On-Off-Reserve.

The one shown is the vaccuum valve that shuts when the engine stops when carb #1 stops sucking.

thanks, yes, you are right - i was simply showing the individual components for the petcock as the op said his was 'gutted'

Thanks guys. I did rebuild the vacuum side of the valve. I found out later that the petcock was not shutting off. Ordered the parts from NRP carbs in the UK but they sure are slow shipping them. This should resolve my petcock issues and return it to spec. 

Thanks again

Archived