Vfr700 interceptor

5212justin

Hi all. I have just purchased a 1987 vfr700 interceptor. It has not been on the road since 2010. It has been dry stored in a garage. I only paid £100 for the bike.

The bike was working when parked up. Now I have ordered new spark plugs, oil and oil filter. I am draining all the petrol from the tank. Is there anything else I should do before I try and start the bike? I have a new battery on and the dash lights all came on, so good to know it's all working. I have tried bleeding the clutch and got alot of air out the system but for some reason I still can't move the bike in first gear with the lever pulled in. And tips and help would be great. I was going to break and sell in parts but I think it's to good a bike to do that and I wanna get it back on the road. Many thanks In advance

20180508_170753.jpg

20180508_170854.jpg

20180508_170742.jpg

20180508_170844.jpg

The clutch plates are sticking. It's common enough when a bike has been laid up for a long time. You can take the clutch cover off and free them off that way but that requires some skill and confidence. Or you can put it in gear and try moving the bike back and forth to see if they will free up. Being mob handed will help here,

You sure it's a 700? Must be a US import if it is. They are decent bikes and with a respray back to OE colours could look good. For GBP100 it's a bit of a bargain.

• Member Contributer

if it turns out its too much to fix, like engine issues let me know I am in need of a good tail cowl..

hope you can get it running though. but kinda hope you cant :)

• Member Contributer

check the oil level and fire her up....

Inspect the wiring/plugs from alternator to voltage regulator to battery.

Measure Vdc and Vac outputs to verify the electrical components are sound

PS: I see you already replaced them pesky (JIS) screws on the hydraulic fluid reservoir. Clever!!

Archived