Would a bad stator cause over voltage from rr to battery.

skulkerboyo

I ask because if not then I'll go with a new rr. My fourth but this is the first that failed by giving me high volts to battery. 19 ish. Normally they just cack out and don't charge. 

Tested stator a while ago and it seemed fine. 

Read a million posts. Know all the tests but on a train pondering this. If the stator is knackered how would the rr get too much voltage? Or did the rr simply fail in a way that's new to me?

• Member Contributer

High voltage is failed RR.

Stator voltage is from around 25 to 50 VAC.

RR converts it to 13 to 14.5 VDC.

But you should check stator anyway.

Fourth rr in two years. I've rewired. Positive fused and straight tk battery and so forth. Have voltmeter etc all the usual mods. 

Everything always tests well within specs. Just wondered if this might be a clue to summat else. Agree. Makes sense. Still an r r failure. 

No plan on riding. Instant I noticed I pulled over and disconnected the unit. Thanks for the clarity. It really is enough to make me quit the viffer though. At least it didn't happen on the way to the tt. 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, skulkerboyo said:

Fourth rr in two years. I've rewired. Positive fused and straight tk battery and so forth. Have voltmeter etc all the usual mods. 

Everything always tests well within specs. Just wondered if this might be a clue to summat else. Agree. Makes sense. Still an r r failure. 

No plan on riding. Instant I noticed I pulled over and disconnected the unit. Thanks for the clarity. It really is enough to make me quit the viffer though. At least it didn't happen on the way to the tt. 

R/R brand and model? Curiosity kills the cat... 

First after whatever it came with was Electrolex mosfet. Then on recommendation one from a gsxr summat from a specific year. That one gave in to poor wiring so rewired then last one was a shindegen bit not sure which. I'll be investigating further. This seems a high rate of failure. 

Archived