ABS malfunction on 2016 bike.

A simple phone call to Honda Motorcycles GB confirmed the date of manufacture as December 2013 , which then tells you how old the brake fluid and all other fluids were likely to have been when I bought the bike in March last year.

Gringo have you disconnected the Battery? 

I would definitely give that a try (ECU Reset) they would talk to each other for certain (ABS Control unit).

A few years ago I had a Triumph Sprint stolen which was recovered by Police 2 years later so I bought it back from the insurance company.

After replacing battery started her up no problem then went for a very short ride, came home gave it a good clean started up to dry her out and on came the ABS light. 

Now that worried me all I could see was $$$$ so I thought stuff you, so I got up 120ks and just hit the brakes hard to activate the ABS and it came on, and guess what, the light went out and has never appeared again, that would be close to 2 years now.

With the ABS light on I was in doubt it would activate but it did. Worth a try!

Have you tried to see if ABS will come on in spite of the light??

The main ECU and ABS ECU do not talk to each other. The ABS ECU conditions the speed pulse signals from the Wheel Speed Sensors and passes them on to the main ECU, but there is no other connection. The main ECU is unaware of anything to do with the ABS.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, elgringo said:

Admin, I'd like to delete my original post. Is this possible?

Just edit the post and delete the contents and change it to [deleted]

• Member Contributer
On 5/8/2018 at 9:56 PM, gringo said:

Hi (fellow sufferers😜), I'm experiencing a problem with the ABS system on my (UK reg. year '16 DCT) bike and am looking for some serious (p**s-takers and Clever Dicks, please walk on) input from other members that may have experienced a similar problem too. The bike's still under warranty ( it's 3 years on the BIG VFR) but before I again make the 160 mile round trip to my favoured Honda dealer for another ( of which, more later *) diagnostic  read-out, I'm hoping there may be a simple solution that I can fix myself. I should say that though the bike is 2 years old it only had 350 miles on the clock when I bought it this April and the fact that it must have been standing for 2years or so may have some bearing on the fault which is as follows...When setting off on a ride-out the ABS light goes out at 6mph/10kph as normal, but, come the first junction/stop when applied,  the front brake lever pulses quite strongly a couple of times then the system seems to go into non-ABS mode. This is quite unnerving in the wet since, as the lever goes 'dead', the instinct is to grab even more brake! After a few more miles the ABS light starts blinking and, whilst it does,  the system definitely goes into non-ABS mode which is predictable and quite manageable.

*I've already presented the bike at a Honda main dealers once where they accessed the fault codes stored in the ECU. They said they, the codes, were showing a 'spike' (?) and they had cleared the codes but pointed to the fact I had a GoPro camera and a GPS device both hard-wired into the bikes electrical system.  They seemed to think this may have some bearing on the problem. I find this hard to believe since the camera is fully charged but rarely used and everybody else with a GPS never seems to encounter any issues and, if anything, the  Honda heated grips, when in use, must draw more current than everything else put together.  Anyway, I rode home but after 20 miles or so the ABS warning light was blinking again.  This weekend I intend to examine 3 possible areas which could be the cause of my woes; the gap and condition of the sender units on both wheels, the  condition and cleanliness of ALL the fuses and also remove the 'Middle Panel' to make sure that the large plug on the ABS unit itself does not have any 'dry' connectors. That only leaves the unit itself and other than try a substitute replacement I have no idea what to do about that. 

Your thoughts Gentlemen, please.

NICE BIKE.jpg

Would be nice to know how this ended...

• Member Contributer
On 12/30/2018 at 2:35 PM, andy said:

Obvious, it’s all there in black & white!

And a tasty Oreo at that.

Archived