Sidestand switch

Beakowood

I picked up my new to me 2003 VFR800 vtec yesterday. I noticed that the sidestand cut out switch is not working. When I looked further I saw that the wires to the switch had been cut and I assume the electrics modified so the engine rides without an operational switch.

i can get a new switch but I am trying to work out where on the bike the switch connector plugs in where I can find it and which fairing panels I will need to remove.Also anyone have any idea how the electrics could have been cheated. Thank you

• Member Contributer

Hi Beakowood.

Welcome to the forum.

Suspect the previous owner may have tricked the ECM into thinking the Side Stand is permanently up by Grounding the Green/White wire from the switch. Easiest way would probably be to just place a shorting link in or across the Green 2p connector. (OR a ground at the Green/White wire terminal of your Clutch Switch, maybe not too practical but possible). 

You'll need to remove the left side fairing. The Side Stand wiring goes back towards the water pump area and plugs into a Green 2p plug.

Go to the Downloads tab above, here you can download the full service manual for your bike.

Good luck with your new toy, hope it provides many years of reliable fun.

Cheers.

Starter_Logic.JPG

Ignition.JPG