2007 front end vibration

grhode

I bought my 2007 VFR two years ago with 2,400 miles.  On the 100 mile ride home I noticed a front end vibration that would come on for four seconds and go away for four seconds above 80 MPH and was definitely noticeable at 100 MPH. I assumed it was bad tires, but after an additional 53,000 miles and multiple different brand tires and two different types of balancing methods the vibration is definitely still there.  A professional motorcycle mechanic, a semi-professional motorcycle mechanic and myself have checked the wheel bearings and head bearings multiple times and we have all determined the bearings are in good order.  It is not a salvage title and has no indications of crashes.  Another weird thing is the fork seals have gone bad four times.  Has anyone else experienced these problems on a 6th generation VFR? What should I check?  I put 170,000 miles on my 1995 VFR and never had these type of front end issues.  Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Fork seals going bad 4x over 55,000 miles does sound suspicious.  Since you've ruled out balance issues, has anyone checked the front wheel for being  out of round and run out?   If the P.O. hit a pothole, etc the wheel could be bent but it might not be obvious.  Careful use of a tape measure could identify something that's really out of whack, but a dial indicator would be better.  If you don't have a front end stand, put the bike on the center stand and have a helper sit on the pillion - that will rock the bike back off the front wheel while you take measurements.  

• Member Contributer

Are you sure the wheel spacers are the correct ones and are the right way?

• Member Contributer

I’d check the forks and triple clamps for straightness as well as the frame.

On 5/6/2018 at 10:31 PM, Cogswell said:

Fork seals going bad 4x over 55,000 miles does sound suspicious.  Since you've ruled out balance issues, has anyone checked the front wheel for being  out of round and run out?   If the P.O. hit a pothole, etc the wheel could be bent but it might not be obvious.  Careful use of a tape measure could identify something that's really out of whack, but a dial indicator would be better.  If you don't have a front end stand, put the bike on the center stand and have a helper sit on the pillion - that will rock the bike back off the front wheel while you take measurements.  

Yep, your right. When I put on the next front tire I will dial indicator the bear rim in the balancing wheel side to side and in and out.  Not looking forward to buying a rim but you gotta do what you gotta do.  Thanks 

• Member Contributer

What if the fork slider bushes were bad, could that cause the fork seal problems as well? or some other internal fork component?

At 15.29 for new ALL BALLS front wheel bearings and seals, I would try that.

Not sure how any mechanic can test or see if a ball bearing or two is bad inside a sealed bearing.

My guess would be one ball bearing is egg shaped.

As for the fork seal. Did the same guy change all of them?

23 hours ago, KevCarver said:

Could be burrs or nicks in the fork slider that are cutting the fork seals over time.

This.

Unless they used non-oem seals. In that case I blame the aftermarket parts. never had any luck with them, oem is best. 

Speaking of which, I've used a lot of All Balls wheel bearings, and my luck has been hit or miss with them. Some are still doing well, others failed within a few hundred miles. Not fun. I bite the bullet and use oem bearings for all my wheels now. I do still use the All Balls tapered steering bearings, love them. 

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

This.

Unless they used non-oem seals. In that case I blame the aftermarket parts. never had any luck with them, oem is best. 

Speaking of which, I've used a lot of All Balls wheel bearings, and my luck has been hit or miss with them. Some are still doing well, others failed within a few hundred miles. Not fun. I bite the bullet and use oem bearings for all my wheels now. I do still use the All Balls tapered steering bearings, love them. 

Regardless of what brand bearing I am using, I always pop out the seals and pack with Bel Ray Water Proof Grease.  I have never had a bearing fail prematurely after doing this (Including All Balls).  You will be amazed how little grease is in there, if any.

Archived