Question

• Member Contributer

Gentlemen,

What lighter weight front wheel would you recommend to replace my current stock 5th/6th gen front wheel? 

On my 2001 5th gen, I have DMr F4i forks, RC51 SP2 calipers, and stock 5th/6th gen front wheel/rotors. I have no problem with this setup - I love it. I am shopping for  a second set of wheels, so for the second set, I’m looking for a front wheel option that weighs less than the stock wheel I’m currently using.

My budget is $400 for a front wheel and front rotors ($400 does not include bearings, dust seals, custom spacers etc, which are separate budget items). Donor candidates for a lighter front wheel could be CBR600RR, CBR600F4 (1999-2000), CBR929/954RR, CBR1000RR, Ducati 848/1098, or any other workable solution.

I feel certain the front brake rotor diameter/offset/width, axle diameter, and axle spacer data I seek is on our website in easy-to-extract spreadsheet form, but I have failed to unearth it.

This thread seemed perfect, but no longer functions:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/48657-cbr600-f3-f4-wheels/

After 2 solid hours of searching forums and threads, I am now asking outright.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

17 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, VFROZ said:

I believe the F4 or F4i will fit straight in and is lighter. 

+1, the best low cost lighter weight wheel option.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Oz and Rush. I’ll check into the F4/F4i front wheel options. I’ve got an F4i axle and spacers left from my front end conversion - thought I’d need them w the F4i forks, but only the 5th gen axle and spacers fit.

• Member Contributer

I have the F4i wheel, its only 12oz less them the VFR wheel. Keef has a 848 wheel, I don't know the weight. I would save another 400 and get a OZ F4I forged alloy wheel. As you get weights and fitment info please keep us informed, Im wanting something lighter as well   

The internet days the 848 cast front is 9.15lbs, and the vfr is 10.

My 848 is in gsxr 600 forks with gsxr 1000 rotors. I only got the front to match the 1098 forged rear wheel. I hate mistmatched spoke patterns.

The forged 848 is about 2lbs lighter again, but i had trouble finding undamaged front wheels.

• Member Contributer

Wow - 2 lbs lighter for forged. Are the forged wheels lighter because the forged material is stronger, therefore less material is required?

Or is the material itself less dense, ie lighter weight?

• Member Contributer
On 5/5/2018 at 10:58 PM, gig said:

I have the F4i wheel, its only 12oz less them the VFR wheel. Keef has a 848 wheel, I don't know the weight. I would save another 400 and get a OZ F4I forged alloy wheel. As you get weights and fitment info please keep us informed, Im wanting something lighter as well   

According to Keef the cast 848 is only 1.6 oz lighter than the plug and play F4i... now if you go forged your dropping 2 more pounds of unsprung rotating mass :wheel:

I just googled- i haven't weighed them. But the cast 848 front matches my forged 1098s rear wheel beautifully 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, keef said:

I just googled- i haven't weighed them. But the cast 848 front matches my forged 1098s rear wheel beautifully 

I bet it does!

Got any pics?

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, keef said:

random googling gives a better explanation than I could.

http://corwheels.com/forged-vs-cast-wheels-whats-the-difference/

Excellent read, Keef, thanks for the link. 

In a box on the shelf- life got in the way.

I still have to get them anodised.

On the plus side, the TLR radiator is mounted.

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, keef said:

In a box on the shelf- life got in the way.

I still have to get them anodised.

On the plus side, the TLR radiator is mounted.

👍  did you manage to get a fan in there as well?

Archived