85 vf500f neutral gear.

joeymeckels

I have never been on another vf500f so I don't have anything to compare mine too. But is it normal for neutral to be hard (really hard) to shift into when the bikes running and in 1st? I mean it is possible but takes a fare amount  of rolling back and forth. Generally I just shut the bike off then go to neutral.

20180422_113105.jpg

• Member Contributer

A bent shift rod (from shift pedal to arm on motor), a hydraulic clutch that needs servicing and a worn clutch bushing (a little round brass bushing that is in the clutch lever) all can contribute to a neutral that is hard to find.  And of course a transmission (shift forks and drum) that has been abused.   A properly serviced and adjusted VF500F should be pretty damn easy to find neutral on.

Thanks for the tips.

I did forget to mention that from 1st to 5th is butter smooth. It just won't go to neutral. Like if I light press up like I would on my vt500 it acts like it's in 5th. If I go from 1st to 2nd purposefully it's smooth all the way up.

• Member Contributer

What the guys said, not normal...

9 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

Put like that it's not a mile away from one of my engines. Could just be wear and tear on the gearbox. What's the mileage on the bike?

It has 19,7xx miles.

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, joeymeckels said:

It has 19,7xx miles.

Those miles are not excessive (although people can F shit up in way less), and the fact that it shifts good thru the other gears, go thru the items I mentioned earlier. 

10 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Those miles are not excessive (although people can F shit up in way less), and the fact that it shifts good thru the other gears, go thru the items I mentioned earlier. 

Thanks. I have the fsm, I'll start checking stuff out soon.

• Member Contributer

Bleed clutch.  And don't ignore the clutch lever bushing like everybody else.  If it's not round anymore, it's worn and can contribute.  They are expensive for what they are, but do it if it needs it.

Joey,  I have a complete engine that the guy I bought my 500 from threw in the deal.  I never ran it or did anything with it but you are welcome to have it if you want to pick it up next time you come to Portland.  I have a bunch of spare parts in the attic if you're interested in the whole box of stuff (I'd have to pull it down to see exactly whats in it).  Don't remember if it was an 85 or 86, sold it several years ago, but it looked like this:

VZhNZT.jpg

Archived