Help needed. Bent Brake lever near Franklin n NC

RedShed

• Member Contributer

Hi all, long time follower here, seldom post.

Does anyone near Franklin NC (or Asheville) have a spare front brake lever for a 5th generation?  I’m happy to pay cash now or replace it later.  Thanks in advance.

I’m up In Franklin NC enjoying some wonderful roads , and the worst thing happened!   I was going up a steep parking lot curve in Hendersonville and had to stop for an oncoming car.  I put my right foot down as I stopped but the slope was too far a reach and the bike took a slow motion decent to the pavement.  I cracked  the right peg and bent the right brake lever in the drop.  Right now I’m close to MR motorcycle and they can have a new peg by 4pm but a brake lever  is several days out.   Any sourcing help or advice is appreciated.  My goal is to be back in Franklin tonight.

• Member Contributer

I was able to straighten a bent lever pretty easily. Take it off the bike and find some way to secure it. Then you need a pipe or tool that will fit over the lever. With the extra leverage and some patience, I think you'll find it pretty easy to repair. (Provided it isn't cracked.)

• Member Contributer

Just FYI, the 5th gen VFR uses the same front lever as the CBR1100XX 97-03. 

3 hours ago, Conedodger said:

I was able to straighten a bent lever pretty easily. Take it off the bike and find some way to secure it. Then you need a pipe or tool that will fit over the lever. With the extra leverage and some patience, I think you'll find it pretty easy to repair. (Provided it isn't cracked.)

another way is to set lever on wood block and use a well-modulated hammer blow in ONE snappy movement, not trying to fully straighten it.  you get ONE hit......... or it might crack.

I've sent a message to MiniCarver.  Maybe he can come up with something if he is at home. If you don't find something in the morning, I have a 6th gen lever that I can overnight to your hotel.  I don't know if they are the same.

• Member Contributer

Thanks all!  I was able to get back to Franklin safely and will be back at MR motorcycle this morning .  They were able to overnight a lever for me that should be in by 10.  

I don’t think I’m going to try to straighten this one unless it becomes absolutely necessary.  I can get two fingers on it now, and bent is better than broken in my book.

B1208074-12EB-486B-91AB-189747E45F63.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I just came up from the garage after straightening Peggy's SilverWing brake lever.

I used a bench vice with soft jaws so the lever won't be dinged. I put it completely between

the jaws and closed the vice as needed to straighten it the proper amount. I really expected

it to break, but to my surprise it worked a treat. And it looked exactly like yours when I started,

and now it looks stock.

I do have the stock levers since I put the shorty levers on so I have some if you need some. Let

me know. Pay for shipping and I'm happy.

• Member Contributer

Thanks all, mission accomplished.  I was able to get a new lever at about 10am.  As a bonus my riding buddy and I got to meet a fellow vfrd member (gig)  and check out his super clean and tricked out 5th gen. I must say the full two brothers header and exhaust sounded great! 

After the lever swap we put down 251 miles on a route from Asheville through the mountains zigzagging through places like Murphy, highlands, Silva and more.  It was a great day!   Please accept my thanks as I consider my call for help closed!  Tomorrow we head for dahlonega to grab some lunch at the bourbon street grill.

11243AB6-551B-4BEE-9247-A75060BA16D5.jpeg

11 hours ago, RedShed said:

Thanks all!  I was able to get back to Franklin safely and will be back at MR motorcycle this morning .  They were able to overnight a lever for me that should be in by 10.  

I don’t think I’m going to try to straighten this one unless it becomes absolutely necessary.  I can get two fingers on it now, and bent is better than broken in my book.

B1208074-12EB-486B-91AB-189747E45F63.jpeg

Fyi I tried to bend back a aluminum handle once and all that will happen is snap/break . Maybe if you heated it up with a touch it might work  .  Glad you were able find another one . 

Archived