Race Shift Gear Pattern

Stevewils

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone has changed their Gen 8 to the race shift gear pattern? (1 up, 5 down).

I want to change my S1000RR to race shift pattern, but don't want one bike on normal and one bike the other way up. Has anyone done this and how did you do it?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Pretty sure its been discussed before.  If you use the search facility you will get your results. also try the 6th gen as its near enough the same.😀

• Member Contributer

Unless the shifter has a link arm that connects it to the shift lever shaft, not sure how you would be able to do it. There needs to be a way to rotate the shaft in the opposite direction from the levers direction, can’t do that when the shift lever attaches directly to the shaft, at least that I am aware of, perhaps that can be done inside the gear box?

• Member Contributer

It is usually done by flipping the link arm, or by fitting a link arm if the OEM shifter is directly attached to the selector shaft.  If the latter, some new way of pivoting the shifter must also be found.  Easiest way to convert such bikes is to fit rearsets, which pretty much always use link arms.

Ciao,

21 hours ago, fink said:

Pretty sure its been discussed before.  If you use the search facility you will get your results. also try the 6th gen as its near enough the same.😀

I did try to search function but didn't come up with anything, but thanks for the tip about 6th Gen.

12 hours ago, JZH said:

It is usually done by flipping the link arm, or by fitting a link arm if the OEM shifter is directly attached to the selector shaft.  If the latter, some new way of pivoting the shifter must also be found.  Easiest way to convert such bikes is to fit rearsets, which pretty much always use link arms.

Ciao,

My S1K has a gear pedal that is already prepared for this but sadly the Viffer does not.

Where the linkage joins the output shaft from the gear box, I may be able to turn this upside down, but it may be too low and snag on the side stand. I'm going to have a fettle this weekend to see how it looks.

Failing that then you are right I will have to invest in rearsets, I can already imagine the response from my OH when the parcel turns up.....

Just to close off the post here's the result of my attempt.

Below is a picture of the original gear shift position.

IMG_0418.jpg.203c05656040f466533fafff105a0193.jpg

This is after I moved the link arm. You can see that it has dropped below the gear box output shaft. This has exposed the linkage to the elements as it no longer sits inside the fairing but I could have lived with that.

IMG_0419.jpg.1a11669133f4c775d454a3d7abd677a9.jpg

So now the shift pattern has changed (1 up, 5 down) but my quickshifter has stopped working doh!

Thinking about it, it's quite obvious. In the top picture, it's a push to change up, in the bottom picture it's a pull to change up, so the quickshifter switch is not engaging, so not sending a signal to the ECU to kill the revs momentarily.

So the bottom line is that it can be done, but not with a quickshifter.

My next dilemma is whether to ditch the quickshifter for a standard gear rod arm thingy. Mmmm decisions, decisions.....

• Member Contributer

I never had any issues switching back and forth. Street pattern for street, race pattern for track. Unless I thought about it, LOL. That would sometimes throw me off...

• Member Contributer

Looks good, Stevewils.

Guys switch back and forth between track bikes with GP shift pattern and dirt/street bikes with street shift pattern all the time, however, most of them have a largish sticker or piece of tape on their track bike's tank or dashboard that reads "GP SHIFT". After a couple of accidental rev-limiter-busting downshifts, my cousin posted this reminder to himself on his CBR1000RR:

"GP SHIFT - THIS MEANS YOU, ASSHOLE"

Side note: Kevin Schwantz and Mat Mladin stayed with street shift pattern through their racing careers and championships. Just sayin'.

• Member Contributer

You should try switching between an old British bike with the gear lever on the right.maked the Gp shift a piece of piss😂 

• Member Contributer

Now that does sound like a knickertwister.

15 hours ago, fink said:

You should try switching between an old British bike with the gear lever on the right.maked the Gp shift a piece of piss😂 

• Member Contributer
On 4/30/2018 at 6:41 AM, Stevewils said:

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone has changed their Gen 8 to the race shift gear pattern? (1 up, 5 down).

I want to change my S1000RR to race shift pattern, but don't want one bike on normal and one bike the other way up. Has anyone done this and how did you do it?

Thanks.

I'm 99% sure that Smoke did - I think his username is actually Smoke4ndMears but he might be on the other forum - I forget.   There's a thread somewhere discussing an awesome vid he made (see below) where I remember him saying his only mods were a slip on exhaust and the Honda quickshifter modified to GP shift pattern.

Archived