Anyone know who this is?

• Member Contributer

This was one from the Dragon this week.  Switch - is that you maybe?  It's a 2008 ABS and in your back yard . . .

image.thumb.png.84b133b073e633f5900c7ad73da3da98.png

• Member Contributer

Good pic. ...ruined by a topbox hanging off the back 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Thumbs said:

But it's a VFR!  You could argue that it's "ruined" by the rider inexplicably not wearing slippers and smoking a pipe...

Ciao,

That's not just a VFR, that's a Torocharged VFR!  I'm surprised that the top box even stays on it. The ultimate sleeper.  😁

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Thumbs said:

So WHAT is your point?

koffer.thumb.jpg.f50b1f85c6e7690880ab1fb45db20592.jpg.286e8fd839f000e93e454afedf1e2c34.jpg

:schla15:

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Dutchy said:

So WHAT is your point?

koffer.thumb.jpg.f50b1f85c6e7690880ab1fb45db20592.jpg.286e8fd839f000e93e454afedf1e2c34.jpg

:schla15:

If you can't see the obvious ..

• Member Contributer
On 4/29/2018 at 2:07 PM, Sweeper said:

That's not just a VFR, that's a Torocharged VFR!  I'm surprised that the top box even stays on it. The ultimate sleeper.  😁

Life is full of ironies.  In June of 2016 I sold my NIB Torocharger to Corner Carver.  Fast forward 2 years and I'm browsing the net and come across the highlights of the day on the Dragon.  One of the day's pics is a 2008 ABS, identical in appearance to mine (although my topbox is matching color).  I knew the general locale of where the S/C kit went and only vaguely recall that it went on an '08.  So then I post up "who is this?" and find out it's the bike with my former S/C kit on it!   Had the photo been taken from the opposite side I would have gotten it.   Good to know it's out getting some good use. 

One of the things that stuck with me through the production of the kits was when I called to speak to Dan and his father picked up.  It was obvious where Dan obtained his acumen - his dad was a super-sharp guy and fun to talk to.  Through the conversation I asked him what the VTEC transition was like with the kit installed.  I'll never forget his reply:  "What VTEC transition?"  :laugh:   The other thing about the kits was the build thread over on VFRW by Toecutter.  After nearly completing the install he was running the engine to warm it and was idly wiping the tank with a rag.  Yep - the rag got caught in the belt, dragging the tip of his index finger through the upper cog, more or less severing the tip of his finger.     No doubt a good idea to keep hands away from that thing with the engine running!  

Anyone know why Dan stopped making the kits? I asked him a few years' back if it was still possible to get one...and was left in no doubt that they were no longer made, and wouldn't be again...

Such a shame.

If anyone has a 5th gen kit they haven't fitted/no longer need, pls PM me, as I'd be willing to take it off your hands. I could even offer some money for it! 😉

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, EX-XX said:

Anyone know why Dan stopped making the kits? I asked him a few years' back if it was still possible to get one...and was left in no doubt that they were no longer made, and wouldn't be again...

Such a shame.

If anyone has a 5th gen kit they haven't fitted/no longer need, pls PM me, as I'd be willing to take it off your hands. I could even offer some money for it! 😉

In that conversation with his father, it was clear that it was too much time was spent ordering in and inventorying all the bits and pieces needed for the kit.  Seeing one, you realize that absolutely nothing was left to chance - every detail was accounted for.  It's a shame they're covered with bodywork - they're that nice.   In the end there just wasn't sufficient demand to make it worth while.  And these days, who is going to spend $5,000 for a kit to put on a 10 year old bike that's worth $4,000?    Dan is extremely talented and I think went on to more profitable endeavors.

1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

In that conversation with his father, it was clear that it was too much time was spent ordering in and inventorying all the bits and pieces needed for the kit.  Seeing one, you realize that absolutely nothing was left to chance - every detail was accounted for.  It's a shame they're covered with bodywork - they're that nice.   In the end there just wasn't sufficient demand to make it worth while.  And these days, who is going to spend $5,000 for a kit to put on a 10 year old bike that's worth $4,000?    Dan is extremely talented and I think went on to more profitable endeavors.

I hear you...But I've no intention of selling mine...at all. Too much money invested in the thing by the PO and myself, and it's basically "fully sorted". Or, at least as fully sorted as a 5th Gen VFR gets. At 136,000kms, it's getting on a bit (although suspension and brake components are much newer than that). But I have a spare engine in my garage with less than half those kms which, with renewal of all consumables, hoses and what not would make an ideal candidate to strap a Supercharge to. As I said, if one were available, I'd fork out the $ for it...as I know how well put together they were...

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Cogswell said:

That's the truth! I actually assembled the one in the pic above, and I was shocked how thorough it was! Too many tiny details to give an example. Many things he could have left out and told the buyer to order themselves, like replacement FPR and fuel pump to name a couple. 

• Member Contributer

The epitome of American Craftmanship... it’s too bad there wasn’t enough of a market to support their continued involvement in high performance VFRs. We need to support folks like that with our dollars whenever we can.

I was lucky enough to get a set of PAIR valve block offs from Torocharger that was leftover from the last production runs from the SC kits... even those were top notch machined beauties, too bad your can’t see ‘em.

• Member Contributer

Totally agree.  Dan engineered everything.  Possibly over-engineered everything, but I'm cool with that...

Ciao,

Archived