Charging issues.

eleminop

Hey guys, pretty new here. Have a 2003 vfr800, was looking into some charging issues and noticed the stator wires when I pulled the fairings off. Any suggestions on what I should do? Just replace the whole thing from the outside of the stator to the plug?

IMG_20180428_104858.jpg

IMG_20180428_110714.jpg

IMG_20180428_110752.jpg

• Member Contributer

Dude.. .. you need to trace this back all the way to the stator.. crack open the cover. - There has to be a reason "why" all this happened. I dont think I have seen this before!... 

You may as well plan for a new stator. 

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, going to open it up tomorrow. The wires are all split like that all the way to the plug on the stator cover. What I find strange is that the actual wire inside the insulation looks to be in perfect shape. I'll update this when I take it off.

the plug connectors all look good. test the stator AC output.  clearly the wires were were rubbin on somthin or wtf ??  never saw that failure b4 ! or maybe a squirrel's chewing gum ??

553055444_052_52sweetya.thumb.JPG.1861e733e688489e4c1f7433fa773610.JPG

I'm going to wait until I get the new stator in to pull the old one off, I'll update when I do. The stator tests about .6 resistance between any two if I play with the wires, 19v at idle and 50v around 5000rpm, but all 3 show continuity to ground, which I kinda expected since the actual wires are exposed.

• Member Contributer

Wow! That is the toastiest one I've seen so far!

I had my yellow wires start to crack like that, but only at the R/R end, not the entire length. 

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, eleminop said:

Yeah, according to the previous owner, it along with the r/r was replaced 2 years ago. 😑

Ahh, no way... 

• Member Contributer

IMG_20180428_110714.jpg

Hi Eleminop.

Tell me, whats the device in the lower left corner of your photo, made by Denso? I can't identify it. Also for info it looks like the electrical plug is Not fully seated. Agree with KevCarver nastiest crispy stator I've seen. Are you running any excessive loads - Accessories that could be over working your electrical system? Or is it just a case of insulation breakdown on the Yellow 3 phase wires that have shorted? That REALLY is strange to see the insulation breakdown on the yellow wires, not seen or heard of that before - makes me think that perhaps the Stator is not the original OEM one.

Good Luck with it.

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Grum said:

IMG_20180428_110714.jpg

Hi Eleminop.

Tell me, whats the device in the lower left corner of your photo, made by Denso? I can't identify it. Also for info it looks like the electrical plug is Not fully seated. Agree with KevCarver nastiest crispy stator I've seen. Are you running any excessive loads - Accessories that could be over working your electrical system? Or is it just a case of insulation breakdown on the Yellow 3 phase wires that have shorted? That REALLY is strange to see the insulation breakdown on the yellow wires.

Good Luck with it.

Cheers.

I'm not sure what that is, I just unplugged it to move the wire out of the way. Yeah the insulation was like that all the way to the rubber grommet on the stator. All in all, its not a big deal to me, I got the bike for a steal as it was. 37,000 miles, no dents, a free very small scratches, and brand new tires for $2200. 

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, eleminop said:

I'm not sure what that is, I just unplugged it to move the wire out of the way. Yeah the insulation was like that all the way to the rubber grommet on the stator. All in all, its not a big deal to me, I got the bike for a steal as it was. 37,000 miles, no dents, a free very small scratches, and brand new tires for $2200. 

Think I've found it. It's your Vapour Canister Purge Solenoid. Something we don't have on the Aussie version.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

IIRC that solenoid controls function of the charcoal canister.  I seem to remember unplugging the hose from it when I removed mine.    My guess is that stator is a cheapo China made knock-off.  Poor quality insulation - short life.  Unfortunately all too common these days. 

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

My guess is that stator is a cheapo China made knock-off.  Poor quality insulation - short life.  Unfortunately all too common these days. 

Reckon you're spot on Cogswell. Never seen an OEM stator do this.

• Member Contributer

As long as you're replacing the stator, if the P.O. also replaced the R/R, chances seem good that he cheap'd out on that too and used the same shite supplier for it as well.  If it were mine I'd bin the stator and the R/R and start over.  I believe Mr. mello dude might still be making his lovely flip plate to mount a Shindingen R/R that's the business and will keep you going a good long while.   Maybe send him a PM and check it out - he knows his R/R's.   You might want to do some research on stators - some say OEM, others seem to like aftermarket units.   If yours were OEM I'd give my thumbs up on Custom Rewind, but I doubt the core is any better quality than the wiring on it so I'd trash all of it.  If you will be using a new gasket on the cover,  I might recommend using a liquid gasket remover.  Using a steel scraper on an aluminum cover is almost guaranteed to gouge the aluminum, leading to leaks.  Just apply the remover, let it sit overnight and basically wipe most of it off.  You can do the final scraping with a plastic scraper of some kind - even an old credit card can work if the gasket is soft.   Keeps that nicely machined surface like new.  Good luck with it. 

• Member Contributer

If you decide to go with an upgraded R/R, RoadsterCycle.com has some good kits. 

I test fitted a mount plate for Mello Dude to mount the SH style R/R to 6th Gen, and it works great! I guess he has the FH plates too?

Custom Rewind in Birmingham, AL does nice work rewinding stators. Just send them a core and they’ll do the rest.  

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, KevCarver said:

If you decide to go with an upgraded R/R, RoadsterCycle.com has some good kits. 

I test fitted a mount plate for Mello Dude to mount the SH style R/R to 6th Gen, and it works great! I guess he has the FH plates too?

Custom Rewind in Birmingham, AL does nice work rewinding stators. Just send them a core and they’ll do the rest.  

Thanks Kev.... I have 6th gen R/R flip mount plates for both the SH847 and the FH020AA R/R's -- Drop in, no hassle, fit perfect.  Very clean mount. PM for details. 

• Member Contributer

A little advice I found out the hard way!! Place your new gasket on the Bike side. Then fit the Stator housing.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Grum said:

A little advice I found out the hard way!! Place your new gasket on the Bike side. Then fit the Stator housing.

Cheers.

And watch your fingers! It's a powerful magnet.

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

And watch your fingers! It's a powerful magnet.

Ah yes good one Kev. Forgot to mention that, sure is a strong little sucker alright, a definite finger snatcher.

Cheers.

I got everything back together, the only hard part was feeding the new stayor wire through since it keep getting snagged in things. Voltages are good now, no leaks from the stator cover. Thanks for the tips guys.

hope you went with the OEM stator or at least avoided those with the green Edge like the fried one in your photos they are really poor quality

And and  and I know it's too late but in case someone else comes across this thread with the same problem the trick is to tie a piece of string or thin wire to the connector before you pull it through to the left side of the bike so that when you put in the new stator you can connect the new connector for the new stator to the piece of string or the piece of thin wire and pull it through left to right from the right side of the bike

Yeah I did think ahead and use a spare shoe laces when I pulled the old one out, it still was getting hung up coming back through but I managed. And yes, OEM, I almost bought the Rick's stator but wasn't sure if it was any good.

Archived