Current Michellin PR4 to PR5 or T31

VFR80025th

I was just thinking out loud and wondering what tire I would use when my current PR4s are done.

Do I rebuy PR4s which have been amazing or do I go to PR5s or try the new T31's.

Anybody want to chime in on new Bridgestones also,

Are the PR4s discontinued or do they continue to be manufactured alongside PR5s.

To be honest wear has been amazing and I've never had an issue with traction.

Price would also be cheaper I would assume for PR4s since PR5s the newest and greatest is out.

Thxs

Ride safe!!

• Member Contributer

After several years on PR3's & PR4's on both 800 & 1200 VFRs, I'm currently on my 2nd set of Metzeler Roadtec 1's on the 800X and I would highly recommend them over the PR4's. More stable, especially on wet overbanding and white lines giving increased confidence and superb in the dry, straight from cold. Of course, we all know that tyres are very personal so that's just my opinion.

I've not tried the PR5 yet so can't comment on them.

• Member Contributer

For the record they are not PR5s, they’re Road 5s, Michelin ditched the “Pilot” from the name. That being said, they work very well, even at the track. I have not tried them in much rain but had about an hour ride it the wet, with a small panic stop and found the grip to be great. Cannot speak for longevity just yet, as they’re only a few hundred miles old at the moment.

• Member Contributer

My only experience is with the Metzeller Z8, model before the Roadtec 1. Stellar tyres so the new ones must be even better. 

What I like most is how they stay good even as they wear. Great at track days and even on wet track days. 

Lots of guys were running the Michelin PR4s on track and they were very good too. One criticism was they get a bit squirmy if it is really hot (by English standards!). Probably a trade off for being really good in the wet. 

In my lay opinion you kind of have to compromise on what you want. The Michelins will be great for any realistic road condition and excellent in the wet. The new Pilot 5 is said to have even greater longevity and to work well when halfway worn.

But Metzeller may have the edge at dry track days and just maybe in the twisties if things heat up. This slightly “harder” tyre may not be as good as the Michelin in the wet as a result, though. 

Of course there are other tyres available but I can’t comment on those.

If you commute get the Michelin. If you scratch get the Metzeller. If you do both you need to decide which one you value/do most of. 

Stray  

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Stray said:

What I like most is how they stay good even as they wear. Great at track days and even on wet track days. 

I can vouch for that. My last Roadtec 1 rear was over 8000 miles when a nail prematurely ended its life and the grip was still excellent in both dry & wet immediately prior to this.

I plan on getting a set on the 1200 when the current PR4s are done.

Archived