Guhl reflash at 55k miles?

swimmer

• Member Contributer

So I am trying to decide whether or not to get my ECU flashed by Guhl.

I am at 55k miles on my bike.  The front and rear suspension have been done, cruise control added, and running an Arrow exhaust.   Otherwise I am happy enough with the bike to put 15-18k miles on every year and still have no interest in replacing it.  I also have a DS bike. 

So, for those that have had the reflash done, given that I am pretty happy with the bike as is, do you think the changes in the ECU improve riding pleasure enough that it is worth my $375?  I would not get the fan-on temp lowered, I would only be interested in removing the performance limiters and hopefully beyond the extra performance this might also improve any shortcomings in normal riding/fueling behavior. 

• Member Contributer

This is only my literal seat of the pants observation having had the seat of my pants on both a 2010 and 2012 regularly. I would on a 2010 model but would not on a 2012 (at least ours). The flash was a noticeable improvement on the 2010 but have not found it more responsive than the stock 2012. Just one man's experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 4/26/2018 at 9:29 AM, EhViffer said:

This is only my literal seat of the pants observation having had the seat of my pants on both a 2010 and 2012 regularly. I would on a 2010 model but would not on a 2012 (at least ours). The flash was a noticeable improvement on the 2010 but have not found it more responsive than the stock 2012. Just one man's experience.

Even under hard acceleration you feel both bikes are similarly fast?

• Member Contributer
Even under hard acceleration you feel both bikes are similarly fast?

Yes I do. From a standing stop at a light she has no problem staying right there. She is 60 pounds lighter. When I ride her bike I feel it accelerates similar to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

This  is surprising since the Guhl flash is supposed to eliminate the power restrictions in 1St and 2ND gear which the 2012 also has as far as I know. 

• Member Contributer
On 6/2/2018 at 12:16 PM, swimmer said:

This  is surprising since the Guhl flash is supposed to eliminate the power restrictions in 1St and 2ND gear which the 2012 also has as far as I know. 

When I first posted on the topic about 5 years ago now I noted then I found the 2012  (at least ours) to have much better 1ST and 2ND gear transitions. It was noticeable enough it sent me on the road to tracking down the Guhl fix. In my sig you can see what Guhl changes applied on my 2010 flash. Love the flash but I'll tell you after going back and forth across Canada that first year getting rid of the OEM seat was the best thing I ever did.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Does anyone have or know where I can find a dyno chart for a 2012+ bike?  Ideally with a 2nd gear run. A before and after Guhl flash would be best though I am guessing that post flash results are the same for all years, and I've seen the 2010 post flash.

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Does anyone have or know where I can find a dyno chart for a 2012+ bike?  Ideally with a 2nd gear run. A before and after Guhl flash would be best though I am guessing that post flash results are the same for all years, and I've seen the 2010 post flash.

disregard, found it here.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/77324-2013-vfr-1200f-dyno-runs/&_fromLogin=1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So I did end up getting my ECU flashed.  Had everything done except lowering the fan temp.  He loaded the power commander map created with a bike stock with the exception of a slip on exhaust.

Overall the bike runs smoother and with a couple of tanks of gas gone through it there seems to be no decrease in mpg with normal commuting.

Power delivery is much more linear coming out of lower rpm second gear corners for example instead a feeling flat until the rpms get around 6k.   Also the acceleration coming out of those same corners feels greater and the graining on the sides of my tires confirm this.  A little more sliding going on.

Acceleration at highway speeds, from say  60mph in 6th gear is also smoother and quicker.

Overall the performance gains are not huge but the general riding characteristics are improved enough to make this a worthwhile purchase IMO.

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Overall the performance gains are not huge but the general riding characteristics are improved enough to make this a worthwhile purchase IMO.

This is my experience as well and that is why it was the best upgrade that I did on the bike.

Archived