not starting

• Member Contributer

yesterday I thought that I would out the bike outside for a wipe over and tried to start it,nothing,bugger I thought and put on charge overnight,tried it this morning and all I got was a 'phut',nothing again.we have visitors for the weekend so I will not be able to do anything this weekend,pain in  the arse really as the local Kawasaki dealer is Chris Walker (ex BSB and WSB) and he has an open day this weekend and was hoping to ride over tomorrow after our visitors have left and I am picking up a 'Scorpion' can for it on Monday so it will be a while before I can hear what it sounds like. The first owner had a new regulator fitted to it on the 14/06/2006 in France,I am assuming this may be the problem or part of the problem,any ideas anyone as to what else to check???

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, scottbott said:

yesterday I thought that I would out the bike outside for a wipe over and tried to start it,nothing,bugger I thought and put on charge overnight,tried it this morning and all I got was a 'phut',nothing again.we have visitors for the weekend so I will not be able to do anything this weekend,pain in  the arse really as the local Kawasaki dealer is Chris Walker (ex BSB and WSB) and he has an open day this weekend and was hoping to ride over tomorrow after our visitors have left and I am picking up a 'Scorpion' can for it on Monday so it will be a while before I can hear what it sounds like. The first owner had a new regulator fitted to it on the 14/06/2006 in France,I am assuming this may be the problem or part of the problem,any ideas anyone as to what else to check???

Does "phut nothing" mean it cranks over ok but doesn't start, or there's just a sound of the starter solenoid but no cranking?

From what your saying about charging the battery overnight and still getting the same results, I would highly suspect your battery is shot. Has the bike been sitting for long periods without a decent ride or charging? This could kill your battery.

Maybe a new battery is required, and then verify you bikes charging voltage.

Good luck.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

I agree with Grum.  A good battery should work fine after an overnight charge (assuming the charger works!), so your reg/rec may not even be a problem.  What kind of reg/rec was fitted in 2006? 

Do you have a voltmeter?  You will need one to deal with a VFR charging problem--if it is indeed that. 

(Post pics, if you can.  It's much easier to diagnose problems with pictures to look at.)

Ciao,

small trickle chargers won't do much for a discharged battery overnight.  you need to try a 1 1/2 amp charge for about 10 hours b4 binning the battery.

• Member Contributer

thanks for the replies the engine did not crank over just dead,will put a multimeter on it today and check,the bike has been started and ran over the winter and given no problems the battery is about 3-4 years old

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, scottbott said:

thanks for the replies the engine did not crank over just dead,will put a multimeter on it today and check,the bike has been started and ran over the winter and given no problems the battery is about 3-4 years old

Good chance it's just a dead battery, might have a shorted cell. New battery then ensure your bikes charging system is ok, 14 - 14.5volts (approx) with engine running. Let's know how you get on.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, squirrelman said:

small trickle chargers won't do much for a discharged battery overnight.  you need to try a 1 1/2 amp charge for about 10 hours b4 binning the battery.

Well, don't use a trickle charger!  A smart charger tells you when the battery is fully charged.  Does anyone use manual chargers on motorcycle batteries these days?  Why?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

got a replacement battery and it started straight away, the old battery is on charge,I will give it 24 hours just to see if it is actually stuffed

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, scottbott said:

got a replacement battery and it started straight away, the old battery is on charge,I will give it 24 hours just to see if it is actually stuffed

That's great But have you measured your bikes charging voltage? Very important. Also without a recovery mode on your charger it might not help your old battery and besides, I wouldn't trust the old battery anyway, just scrap it.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

have not checked the charging voltage yet will do it later this morning,I will chuck the old battery, thanks for the replies

On 4/22/2018 at 3:43 AM, JZH said:

Well, don't use a trickle charger!  A smart charger tells you when the battery is fully charged.  Does anyone use manual chargers on motorcycle batteries these days?  Why?

Ciao,

I still do.   :unsure:

please consider that not every VFR rider is as rich as you are , in London and all, seat of a vast colonial empire.

• Member Contributer

Rapidly declining, former colonial empire, I think you mean...  I believe smart chargers are pretty cheap these days.  Manual chargers are usually too strong for motorcycle batteries and, of course, you've got to be careful not to overcharge the battery.  

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

While you go and check the Vac output over each combo of the 3 yellow wires (with the engine well warmed up), also check the connectors (out/inside)

Front RHS, the 3 yellow wires come from the alternator (through the V), then onto the RR. And from the RR to the 30A fuse/starter solenoid (red/green plastic).

Archived