When to replace clutch?

burnes45

• Member Contributer

I have 52K miles on my '97 clutch seems ok but I'm getting ready to go to the"Memorial spring ride" and and don't want it to go out on me up there. I don't ride hard just commuting miles some touring and once a year the twisties in N.C. So how many miles should I expect from my clutch and Is it time to replace it to be sure? 

I had 90,000 kilometres on the original clutch on my 2005. It was still working fine, a little slippy when touring and got really hot. I sold it and the next owner changed the clutch right away to be safe.

If it's still working without an issue you're probably okay to keep going. If there are any noticeable issues before a big trip it's probably a good idea to change it.

• Member Contributer

A clutch doesn't wear based on how many miles (or km) are put on the bike... the quantity and quality of the shifts are what matters.  The likely culprit for clutch slippage is glazing on the metal pressure plates and friction material not a "worn out" clutch.  The glazing can occur over time or can be accelerated by excessive heat from "riding" the clutch or poor throttle control on hard acceleration upshifts where the engine rpms "flare" on the upshift when the clutch is disengaged/engaged without matching engine rpms to vehicle speed and gear.  Often glazing can be corrected with a light wet oil sanding of the metal pressure plates and friction plates with fine grit to break up the surface glaze on the clutch plates if they are still within the measured service limits (which they likely are...)

If your clutch is performing fine and you shift well... your clutch is likely to remain in good working order and it isn't necessary to change it because of an upcoming trip.

PS:  I'm sure you already know this, but I'll state the obvious for any folks reading that may not know...  we have wet clutches so adding oil additives could cause clutch slippage and require replacing the friction plates... but that's a different subject.

• Member Contributer

I have about 80k miles on my 09 and the clutch is still working fine. As mentioned, it’s not so much the mileage but how it’s treated within the mileage that plays a part in its life span. Unless your clutch is hinting of slipping or acting up on you, IMO you should be fine for your trip.

• Member Contributer

I second Rush's explanation.

My first fith's cluch was still working great at 105,000 miles when KIA'd. I changed the oil, with Honda GN4 dino, at roughly the recommended 8,000 miles.

In 200,000+ miles accumulated over five fifth gens, I had no engine or transmition issues. On that I believe Big H's engineers hit a home run. IMHO.

• Member Contributer

I replaced the friction discs in my 5G at 95000km. The clutch was working well enough (easy to change gear, no slip) but the take-up was getting grabby which was making take-offs less perfessional that I liked. With some new friction discs it feels like new again, a very smooth and easy take-up over a wider range. For the small cost of the parts and some of my own labour I thought this was well worth doing. 

• Member Contributer

It's all pretty subjective. I had a major rebuild of my '99 at 92,200 miles because of a crash and decided to replace the clutch friction discs only. I had damage to the cover and wanted to replace it, so since it was coming off I got new stock frictions. I measured the new discs each and as a full stack, then the old ones the same way and could find no appreciable difference in thickness with my calipers. Oh, I did change the springs too. Measured them new and old, same thing - no difference.

I did some part time work in my friend's bike shop a few years ago and did see some pretty roasted Gixxer clutches with low miles. But that is from lots of wheelies and hard launches and general Gixxer-ness. 

So if you aren't having any issues, leave it alone until you start having trouble. Or if you plan to install a SebSpeed Clear Clutch Cover!

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone I'm having no issues so I'll spend my time and money on something else. Maybe new brake pads front and rear.  Those roads up there really put a hurting on them. Looking forward to this trip.  

Archived