Have You Ever Wondered...

• Member Contributer

...Just what are the relevant dimensions of the NR750 top triple clamp?

4592281043_c1d412ae00_b.jpg

(Do I have to mention this is not my bike? :wink:)

Well, I have, and now I know.  Because eBay very nicely sent me this:

5ad9b39ab55a3_NRTopTripleClamp-1.thumb.jpg.64e0c9deb36ec8196deb0125fc1d6fe3.jpg

The fork spacing is 214mm, the offset is 40mm, the stem hole is 33mm ID and the top clamp IDs are 54mm.  You read that right.  The super exotic Honda NR shares top triple clamp ID dimensions only with various Buells...  

And a 40mm offset?  The same as various VFR750s and VFR800s (and unlike the CBR900 series with USD forks, which have 30mm offset and 50mm ID top clamps).  But I wonder if the unique NR forks have an extra 5mm offset at the axle (like the RC45), because 40mm seems rather lazy for this kind of bike.  Perhaps not.  Maybe the VFR-style geometry was the "result of a decade's perfection"?

I wasn't sure if I could do anything with the clamp, but I kinda assumed that it would have had either a 30mm or possibly a 35mm offset.  But I was completely unprepared for the fork clamp dimensions!  The only place this thing is going in on my wall...

For completeness, here's a picture of the bottom yoke (which I don't expect to ever be able to measure!)

5ad9b2075fec5_NR750bottomyoke-1.jpg.2ce0ac39375d673d9059f31ed67a2a99.jpg

And here's the special, no-longer-obtanium special tool required to remove the steering stem nut:

5ad9b4a24af38_NRStemNutWrench(07NMA-MT70200).thumb.jpg.5fe3843f6bcd561b290c890d80e23415.jpg

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Interesting...in an academic and artistic kind of way.  But not in application...

• Member Contributer

Dude... I don't know why, call me a Honda geek... but I just think that is really cool!

... and now we know the legendary NR's upper fork dimensions  :fing02:

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, JZH said:

...Just what are the relevant dimensions of the NR750 top triple clamp?

4592281043_c1d412ae00_b.jpg

(Do I have to mention this is not my bike? :wink:)

Well, I have, and now I know.  Because eBay very nicely sent me this:

5ad9b39ab55a3_NRTopTripleClamp-1.thumb.jpg.64e0c9deb36ec8196deb0125fc1d6fe3.jpg

The fork spacing is 214mm, the offset is 40mm, the stem hole is 33mm ID and the top clamp IDs are 54mm.  You read that right.  The super exotic Honda NR shares top triple clamp ID dimensions only with various Buells...  

And a 40mm offset?  The same as various VFR750s and VFR800s (and unlike the CBR900 series with USD forks, which have 30mm offset and 50mm ID top clamps).  But I wonder if the unique NR forks have an extra 5mm offset at the axle (like the RC45), because 40mm seems rather lazy for this kind of bike.  Perhaps not.  Maybe the VFR-style geometry was the "result of a decade's perfection"?

I wasn't sure if I could do anything with the clamp, but I kinda assumed that it would have had either a 30mm or possibly a 35mm offset.  But I was completely unprepared for the fork clamp dimensions!  The only place this thing is going in on my wall...

For completeness, here's a picture of the bottom yoke (which I don't expect to ever be able to measure!)

5ad9b2075fec5_NR750bottomyoke-1.jpg.2ce0ac39375d673d9059f31ed67a2a99.jpg

And here's the special, no-longer-obtanium special tool required to remove the steering stem nut:

5ad9b4a24af38_NRStemNutWrench(07NMA-MT70200).thumb.jpg.5fe3843f6bcd561b290c890d80e23415.jpg

Ciao,

I'd be inclined to hang that on my wall also. Nice!

• Member Contributer

It was one of those things...I didn't really have a plan for it, but I thought I could fit it to one of my bikes some day (like the NR rear wheel that is now on my FP--that also required bespoke engineering).  With enough machining I could fit the top yoke to another bike, but it would probably mean having a custom lower triple made as well as some sort of bushing arrangement to fit 50mm forks at the top.  It's a bit much.

Ciao, 

• Member Contributer

Too bad you can't easily use it, cause it looks pretty cool! Especially with that top nut.

Are the clamp bolts recessed? Cause I don't see any bolt heads on yours or the installed one.

• Member Contributer

Yes, the clamp bolts are recessed; looks like they'd be standard socket cap screws.  Nice touch!

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Coolio. That's like running across one of Steve McQueen's Rolexs.

The only place this thing is going in on my wall...

If you wanted something "NR" to go on your wall, maybe you should have splashed out on these...

NR750 forks 1.jpg

NR750 forks 2.jpg

Archived