Viffer no more...

laurie

On 4/21/2018 at 12:49 PM, MaxSwell said:

As much as they will be missed, in the US and I'm guessing the EU, there is no way the gear-driven cams would pass a sound test. And I'm guessing the engines are not clean enough for todays emission standards. 

It's a good thing, in one respect, that my season is not 12 months long (I'm awaiting the bolt of lightnig to strike any second for those words). If that were the case I'd be totally deaf by now. Between wind noise (reduced as much a possible by earplugs and a Schuberth helmet) and the whine of the cams the voices in my head (tinnitus) get a little louder each year. But that does not stop me from enjoying every mile on the way to sign language. Or at least more WHAT? s.

Maybe...just maybe...Honda could actually move the cam gear drive to the middle of the engine (like they were on the 750s) to "quieten" them down a bit. Granted, moving them outboard allowed them to "drop" a crank journal (I believe), thus making the 800 engine slightly narrower than the 750.

But the conspiracy theorist in me always believed - and still do - that Honda made that move so they could plausibly claim that the GDC was "too noisy", and thus drop it for chain-driven cams in the 6th and 8th gen bikes.

In saying that, I doubt any of the VFR engines would meet the latest Euro emissions standards applicable to 'bikes...

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, EX-XX said:

...In saying that, I doubt any of the VFR engines would meet the latest Euro emissions standards applicable to 'bikes...

The Honda Sweden website still lists the VFR800F for 2018 (see screen shot I took below) - wouldn't that suggest that the VFR800F meets the latest Euro emissions standards?  They changed the 8th gen's exhaust system a bit when they did the mild tweaking of the bike for 2017 - I thought that was done to bring the bike into compliance with the latest Euro regulations.

IMG_4025.thumb.PNG.45525501ff27f3989d622afdf863761f.PNG

6 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

The Honda Sweden website still lists the VFR800F for 2018 (see screen shot I took below) - wouldn't that suggest that the VFR800F meets the latest Euro emissions standards?  They changed the 8th gen's exhaust system a bit when they did the mild tweaking of the bike for 2017 - I thought that was done to bring the bike into compliance with the latest Euro regulations.

IMG_4025.thumb.PNG.45525501ff27f3989d622afdf863761f.PNG

Could well be. Honda looking to drop the VFR might actually be more about "tomorrow's" emissions, rather than today's (So, it might meet Euro 4 or whatever number it's up to, but not the next mooted standar, which manufacturers would need advance notice of).

• Member Contributer

The new, 2017 exhaust is Euro 5 compliant so free to sell until 2020 ....at least 

• Member Contributer

And bear in mind that different Honda distributors may make different decisions about different bikes.  American Honda is notorious for going its own way, e.g., skipping model years,  paring down the standard equipment and then selling a more expensive "deluxe" model, only offering one color scheme per year when the ROW had three...  Perhaps Honda Oz is the odd one out?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Wouldn’t say, just following in the footsteps of  the US. 

If you think about it the original vtec s last update was in 2009, the A9 version which remained till 2014 when the new model came out. 

• Member Contributer

I was surprised to learn that the VFR800fi was still being sold anywhere. I figure that should keep fifth gen parts available for a while. But I have seen fifth parts not available, specifically sidestands. There was another one but I've forgotten what it was.

• 1 month later...

Archived