Hawks

• Member Contributer

Still on my want list but would need to sacrifice something in my garage to fit one in!

• Member Contributer

I have a couple. Sold my VFR after I bought my latest. Seemed to always choose it over my 5th gen. when it came time to ride.

• Member Contributer

Congratulations. That is one beautiful machine and it looks to be in great shape.

• Member Contributer

I have the "Super" version...lots of fun to ride, always makes me a bit more irresponsible. I would have to say I prefer the carbed throttle response over the FI on my 5G, my VTR has got the nicest fuelling and is  happy to be very lazy or rev out hard, while making the noise only a big v-twin can. 

IMG_4018.jpg

• Member Contributer

Probably the most fun bike that I have to rip around town.  We don't have many curves in Indianapolis, other than round abouts.  Hawks could be the most fun per hp bikes ever.  Some before and after pics.

Slo1 I am jealous of that wheel-  very HRC.  nice looking and rare grey tempest.

iPhone Pics Jan 2015 915.JPG

IMG_8612.JPG

IMG_8611.JPG

IMG_8610.JPG

IMG_8696.PNG

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, deltaboxii said:

IMG_8696.PNG

That is an amazing looking Hawk, but with that exhaust how do your neighbors like it ?

• Member Contributer

It is actually not that bad.  We have moved since the picture was taken so I am more out in the country now.  The first exhaust that I had on there was so loud that I could not even stand to ride it.  But with that Exil fitted the bike is not all that loud unless you are really accelerating hard or decelerating in a lower gear.  It certainly does not sound like a little 700 anymore.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Terry said:

I have the "Super" version...lots of fun to ride, always makes me a bit more irresponsible.

One of those bikes that just keeps pulling me in..... Way under rated. At one time I purchased a Ducato 900ss-sp, which are stunning to look at, to replace my Shawk. One back to back ride and the Duc found a new home.....

ART_5_24_2014_(6).thumb.jpg.88fee39c76f094f778fe83c2f2a66c7c.jpg

• Member Contributer

A Hawk was my first bike, looking back I may have been a touch too tall for it (6'2"), but I enjoyed every ride on it. The odd thing about it was it was a medium metallic blue color, only one I have seen, not the dark blue color.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, slo1 said:

One of those bikes that just keeps pulling me in..... Way under rated. At one time I purchased a Ducato 900ss-sp, which are stunning to look at, to replace my Shawk. One back to back ride and the Duc found a new home.....

ART_5_24_2014_(6).thumb.jpg.88fee39c76f094f778fe83c2f2a66c7c.jpg

That's a great photo. I see we share a love of Swedish gold. I also re-worked my forks and front brakes, and my VTR is a lovely handling machine.

Here's another Tempest Grey.

The Hawk was my first "real" street bike.  I had ridden a street-tracker'ed FT500 Ascot the first year I had my licence, but with with a top (non-tankslapper) speed of about 100 km/r, and a range of about 100km, it kept me on a short leash....probably dad's plan all along.

Found the Hawk through a family member in Sudbury Ontario, and brought it home.  That was in 1999 or 2000.  Of the other bikes I've owned, R1100S and now the VFR, nothing speaks to me like the Hawk does.  I decided a long time ago that although other bike will come and go through my life, the Hawk is staying with me forever.

41541144862_0ab235cbb1_k.jpg

26714217197_02df2ac4d4.jpg

40871419614_925c628433_k.jpg

39774416380_9905dae429_k.jpg

And the Ascot for good measure

26714216937_0970281df4_k.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well thanks for all the SH talk guys.  I just happened to see a very neglected '05 at a dealership with low miles that needed a home.  Can't believe what I bought it for.  Those bikes sure aren't respected like they should be.  I always have liked them and enjoyed riding them.  The graphite silver was a one year color which I thought was slick.  The PO removed the Superhawk 996 sticker which is still available from Honda, but to be honest I almost like it better without it.  It has a set of TBR carbon cans which sound incredible and it looks like the PO also installed an aftermarket front fender.  Other than that it is pretty stock.

And so it begins lol

12000 miles

Needs tires- putting my Michelin Road 5s on here to try.

Needs a new chain and sprocket

Needs a new battery and might as well replace the reg/ rectifier while I am at it.

Needs a carb clean and possibly re-jet the carbs

Needs all the fluids changed so I might as well swap out the old rubber brake lines for SS while I am at it

Jamie is just up the road from me and a SH suspension guru owning one  himself so I might as well have him dial  her in suspension wise.

I am not digging the giant stock turn signals in the front and probably need a bit more turn signal in the rear for safety.

Looking forward to getting this poor girl back on the road!

IMG_6887 .jpg

IMG_6880.jpg

IMG_6881.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, deltaboxii said:

Well thanks for all the SH talk guys.  I just happened to see a very neglected '05 at a dealership with low miles that needed a home.  Can't believe what I bought it for.  Those bikes sure aren't respected like they should be.  I always have liked them and enjoyed riding them.  The graphite silver was a one year color which I thought was slick.  The PO removed the Superhawk 996 sticker which is still available from Honda, but to be honest I almost like it better without it.  It has a set of TBR carbon cans which sound incredible and it looks like the PO also installed an aftermarket front fender.  Other than that it is pretty stock.

And so it begins lol

12000 miles

Needs tires- putting my Michelin Road 5s on here to try.

Needs a new chain and sprocket

Needs a new battery and might as well replace the reg/ rectifier while I am at it.

Needs a carb clean and possibly re-jet the carbs

Needs all the fluids changed so I might as well swap out the old rubber brake lines for SS while I am at it

Jamie is just up the road from me and a SH suspension guru owning one  himself so I might as well have him dial  her in suspension wise.

I am not digging the giant stock turn signals in the front and probably need a bit more turn signal in the rear for safety.

Looking forward to getting this poor girl back on the road!

IMG_6887 .jpg

Nice find! I’m jealous... although, right now I don’t have room in the garage for another bike so all I can do is window shop.

FWIW.... I like it without the stickers :fing02:

Heres my VTR story:

Prior to having the R1100S in the pics I posted above, dad had an R100RS and a VTR (we called the Firestorms in Canada).  I went to get my licence the day after I turned 16 (I only waited that long because my birthday was on a Sunday that year).  Dad insisted that we go for a ride that night, and since the Ascot wasn't ready yet he had to decide what I was going to ride.  Heavy, slow steering BMW or light, powerful Honda?    He decided on the VTR which did not please mom one bit.  He gave me the run down: dont be an idiot, respect the throttle, just follow me.  I was nervous as hell.  The most powerful thing I had ever ridden at that point was the lawn tractor, followed closely by my XR100.  Anyway, I promptly stalled it and dropped it on its left side in the driveway.  Total distance 8".  Dad was pissed, he is meticulous about his stuff, but brushed it off as best he could.  We bent the clutch lever straight and I managed to get going the second time, and we had a really great ride.  

Here's the man who taught me everything.  Clearly a good influence.

40713189615_c1562edea8_k.jpg

41604867551_2370d8f644_k.jpg

41604852681_9ac67732f5_k.jpg

Like father, like son

27735875798_b5fe2da222_k.jpg

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, deltaboxii said:

Jamie has done my Shawk, vfr750 Shawk Forks, and cartridges/shock for another 4th gen.... He is awesome :)

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, slo1 said:

Jamie has done my Shawk, vfr750 Shawk Forks, and cartridges/shock for another 4th gen.... He is awesome :)

+1

Jamie has set up my F4i fork internals and built 2 929 rear shocks for me, all top notch work. Totally transformed the handling of the bike.

Next up is a set of KYB ZX14 USD Forks

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, KevCarver said:

That's a cool color on the SH! I don't think I've ever seen one.

I think it would be fun to have a Hawk and a CB1. 

Good call.  I have come close to getting one of those before.  Always liked those and the Bandit 400.  The Bandit wasn't as trick as the CB1 but was a sexy bike.  Someday I am hoping to get a CBR 400 Baby Blade in the garage, which were a close relative of the CB1 (both had gear driven cams as well... :)

• Member Contributer

Just got mine on the road. It compliments the Hawks nicely. I dig it, and so does the wife!325067DF-41B3-41DC-B031-8C25F4D70970.thumb.jpeg.c11461ff68128516b940d6ff622cbcb8.jpeg

Just looking into ordering some parts and noticed that Mason City Honda has a 99" SuperHawk with 8200 miles for $3500.  

Did I just break the rules? Sorry in advance. I didn't mean to.

Friend of mine in high school had a CB1.  He had a Kerker pipe on it (loud), and I had the Hindle on the Hawk (really loud).  The 14k rpm screaming made a really nice counterpoint to the 8500 rpm bellowing.

• Member Contributer

I restored 2 CB-1s at the same time.  One for my wife...

full?d=1497288975

It originally had a kerker on it that I recently sold.  LOUD!!!!   So is this one, but not as bad.  Stock headers and a modified CBR600 Yosh slip-on.  I have a Sudco for this bike also that will eventually go back on.

And this one for the Sales Manager at the dealership I worked at.

gallery_6115_2003_668899.jpg

I bought the last 2 systems Sudco had in stock.

Love these little bikes.  Seems like I will eventually have a NT650 Hawk, but it just hasn't happened yet.

Archived