headlight keeps burning out

loosenoose

I recently posted about my naked vfr project. it's been a tough journey so far. not so much one gremlin after another, but several taking turns at killing my enthusiasm, lol

i recently got the bike back from a shop that had wired up an acewell gauge, and things were pretty good until the headlight burned out on me AGAIN.

this was the initial problem that kicked off the whole nakedization of the bike, so before i hacked up the wiring harness this had already happened twice. i have since then had it in 2 shops, for work on getting some smaller aftermarket gauges installed. i took it for about an hour long ride yesterday, thinking i may have gotten all the kinks out, but towards the end of the ride, while behind a pickup truck, i noticed my headlight was burnt out. with all the electrical issues and projects i have done on bikes, i should be a pro at this by now, but i have had a tough time learning this stuff. please help! 

fihFXdD.jpg

mBn5Pfv.jpg

504oVGV.jpg

lIxRBRZ.jpg 

at least the bike isnt overheating any more lol. pic was taken right after hopping off the bike after i got home. temp gauge is a radiator cap with built in thermometer. 

• Member Contributer

Have you checked the voltage across the battery with the bike warmed up and revs up around 4000? Maybe your RR is putting out too high a voltage? Otherwise I'd suspect vibration as a cause for a headlight malfunction. 

• Member Contributer

Terry is on the money here. It's volts or vibration that's killing your headlamp. You need to purchase Motorcycle vibration resistant long life globes, not simply car type. Not sure what globe you are running but Google motorcycle vibration resistant globes to find a replacement. The other option is an LED equivalent if available.

Cheers.

Thanks guys. The headlight came with the bucket, so I would guess it's a motorcycle specific headlight. I have a decent LED headlight, but I'm still waiting for the mounting bracket for it. Y'all think I should be alright to run the LED unit without getting back into the harness?

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, loosenoose said:

Thanks guys. The headlight came with the bucket, so I would guess it's a motorcycle specific headlight. I have a decent LED headlight, but I'm still waiting for the mounting bracket for it. Y'all think I should be alright to run the LED unit without getting back into the harness?

Hi Loosen.

Can't assume the correct globe has been fitted to your headlight, remove the globe and source a vibration resistant/toughened long life replacement, see the attached link for Philips motorcycle globes (as an example). 

Perhaps some Google research on your LED unit might clarify things regards 12v ops, have you tried connecting it up to 12v?

https://www.philips.com.au/c-m-au/motorcycle-lights/headlight-bulbs

Cheers.

this is the headlight i have. i have hooked it up to the bike, and it was working just fine for the couple of minutes i had it plugged in. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-inch-Led-headlight-Hi-Lo-Beam-For-Honda-CB650-750-900-GL1000-GL1100-Motorcycle/253271756973?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Member Contributer

I've used non-motorcycle H4 bulbs in my bikes for years and years with no issues like this.  Check your charging system output before connecting more expensive electrical items to it...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, JZH said:

I've used non-motorcycle H4 bulbs in my bikes for years and years with no issues like this.  Check your charging system output before connecting more expensive electrical items to it...

Ciao,

Agree with you JZH. Guess it's a bit like saying some heavy smokers live to the ripe old age of 90....... But then again!

No doubt about it, you could be lucky with just the normal non-motorcycle type, but there's good reasons as to why they go to the trouble of manufacturing a motorcycle version.

Because changing the H4's on the 6gen is a bit of a pain in the ar@se, I've gone with the more rugged motorcycle  version to just lessen the risk of doing the same job again. High Volts and/or High Vibration are the big killers for globe filaments.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Get the LED light on there, they are quite hardy beasts so voltage and vibration will find it harder to kill it!!

Archived