I am moving to the ATL area next month with my company and will be riding the 2014 Viffer down as part of the move. Its been quite a while since I taken such a road trip & I'm very much looking forward to it.  I am asking for the collective wisdom here for advice.

What's the best scenic route that will cover this distance in three days?

I'm a little old and rusty so I'm looking for suggestions regarding simple cruise control/throttle lock, tire fix kit and a jump start box.

Thanks!

Bobby

soon to be ex-NYer

• Member Contributer

Bobbyn, you've got a fun trip ahead. I suggest you slab it at first if time is a concern, 78 to 81, then hit Skyline Drive at Front Royal. That becomes the BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway), which you can ride all the way to Georgia.

Also, I've been very happy with the Weego for emergency jump starts and as an all-around power source for devices.

BRP sample:

Appalachians 04.05 003.jpg

• Member Contributer

So yeah, hoof it through our area, and 81 isn't a terrible looking road to get to Front Royal.  From there it gets crazy.  If you want, you could literally have scenic roads all the way to within about forty miles of the perimeter.  It's crazy.  But, it might actually be too much.  Set your speed and mileage expectations reasonably.  That squiggle that is the BRP and Skyline Drive on the map is a LOT of miles and not fast, and you'll want to have time to get off and enjoy the scenery now and then.  BRP/Skyline by itself could take you three days if you did it in its entirety and did a little touristy stuff.

And remember once you're in ATL, you're an hour from tons of fun roads.  So once your close, hit the highway and tell yourself you'll strafe those twisties next week, next month, next year, etc.

Good luck my friend.  Gonna miss seeing that VFR and thinking "oh heck, I know who that is".

Which neighborhood are you landing in?  I have family and friends all over the state.

• Member Contributer

Dynaplug is great for tire punctures, along with a Motopumps air pump that is powered from your battery. I haven't used a throttle lock on my own bikes, no comment there.

Rectaltronics is right, three days may seem like a lot, but don't waste time. The northern end of the BRP seems quick, but then you get around Asheville and everything slows. And becomes more scenic. Blowing Rock NC is a great stopping point BTW. Can't resist another pic:

Appalachians 05.06 006.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have and carry a Dynaplug kit, which is fine.  It occurred to me once that I should try it on a worn out tire at home before changing it just to convince myself that I could use it and make it work.  I was successful, but pushing through a tire carcass can be challenging.  Also, I wasn't convinced that if something larger than a small nail penetrated the tire that it would work.   I did some research and purchased a Safety Seal kit.  Those are industrial grade, with a heavy duty handle and cord to plug just about any (reasonable) size hole.  That's my go-to kit now, particularly if I'm going to be in way out of the way towns or out of cell range.   I also have a Motopump, which works great. 

https://www.safetyseal.com/

As for throttle locks, I have an NEP throttle lock.  It's slim so it doesn't contact the tank when the bars are full right.  Easy to use and has been very reliable over many trips.  It took a couple of zip ties to anchor it around the throttle cables on my 6th gen but once I got it it's been very reliable.  I take along the appropriate allen wrench to adjust the clamping force to get it just right.  The last time I was in a Cycle Gear they had them for $20.  It's definitely a wrist saver on the interstate. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a8BAiRZJeE

http://www.aerostich.com/nep-cruise-control.html

This is all excellent stuff. I will be shopping online with my morning coffee. 

One more question: will the the 8th gen charging system handle plugging in my phone while riding? I ask because I tried this on my 5th gen and had a years worth of charging problems afterward. In fact it cost me my first trip to the BRP/Skyline Dr. Once bitten, twice shy.

Bobby

• Member Contributer

As for cruise controls, I used both the Go-cruise

http://www.2wheelride.com/

and the Crampbuster

https://www.scottoiler.com/product/scottoiler-crampbuster-cruise-control/

during my 5,500km tour around the Baltic Sea

I sold the go-cruise afterwards....

Sure, the go-cruise will allow you to "hold" the throttle so so can scratch your balls while riding, but with no 30+ minute straight superslab, I felt much more comfortable/relaxed using the crampbuster.

You will stop for gas/burger/secnic picture anyway...

Even on day to day riding I find the Crampbuster a really nice piece of kit. 

IMAG4963.jpg

11 hours ago, bobbyn said:

This is all excellent stuff. I will be shopping online with my morning coffee. 

One more question: will the the 8th gen charging system handle plugging in my phone while riding? I ask because I tried this on my 5th gen and had a years worth of charging problems afterward. In fact it cost me my first trip to the BRP/Skyline Dr. Once bitten, twice shy.

Bobby

Yes, mine has handled charging my phone for a year with no problems. I use a usb outlet on my battery tender harness.

• Member Contributer

I did the opposite a couple times. I rode to SebSpeed's from West of Atl. Only thing you want to so is hit the Blue Ridge Parkway if your time is limited. Two day trip at most that way. I've ridden the BRP at least 3 times so far and it's great! I'd say just get to the BRP, then get to Atl for the first time. You've got plenty of time to explore after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Kickstand up early Sunday morning to my new home in Atlanta.  I am not much of a planner, just gas & go. My initial plan is to ride to Front a Royal and figure out my next step over lunch. If any motels have WiFi I’ll post some pics. 

Thanks for all the tips.

• Member Contributer

That will be a fun ride, just a little more advice, don't take the BRP to the end if heading to ATL, hop off around Balsam Gap and take 23/74 down to 441, and that will get you to ATL, just follow the signs, it does some odd exits.

In my younger days, I did ATL to Lynchburg, Va via the BRP in a day, got there late afternoon, very early start, without many stops. That might give you an idea about making time.

• 2 weeks later...

Made it to ATL. What a great ride, but I did find out the hard way that the BRMP road surface eats tires. About 120 miles into the trip my rear tire was showing steel belts! I was lucky to find Honda Suzuki of Lynchburg OPEN on a Monday. 

It it was a long, slow, tense ride from the top of the mountain to the dealer about 30 miles away. They took care of me in 30 minutes and I was back on the road. 

Now I need to find some local roads out of Marietta to check on Sunday mornings. Any suggestions?

• Member Contributer

Bugger me with a fish fork!!! 

I cannot help thinking that tire was farked from the get go.....  How much tread (did you check?) did you have when you left?

When you get tired of being raped in ATL for tires, look me up.

http://www.RideWNC.net

I am 1.5 hour north and in the center of all the good roads.

• Member Contributer

When you get the new tires mounted, maybe check the tread every 500 miles or so?

Or maybe just lean right more often.  😎  Glad you made it safely to your new home. 

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, bobbyn said:

What was left of my tire. I’m still amazed I found an open Honda MC dealership on a Monday!

9C80BC64-2770-4873-ADBF-C3B1A769FF43.png

Hi Bobbyn.

Glad you made it in one piece? Man that tire looks frightening, bet it would have some interesting handling traits in the wet, ice skating comes to mind!!!!. Looks like you enjoy orbiting roundabouts given the left side wear lol. Be interested to know just how much tread was there before you left home.

Question for the tire experts... I've noticed that once a tire wears down to the tread indicators, the wear rate rapidly increases as though you've hit a band of very soft rubber. Is the last bit of rubber just before the steel belts normally a very soft compound? Just curious.

Cheers.

Archived