Rear cush drive removal

BiKenG

This relates to a 3rd Gen, but is not confined to that.

I'm trying to remove the axle from the Swing-Arm. The big axle nut that holds on the cush drive assembly is off and the cush assembly should now slide off the axle. But it doesn't.

I currently have a large 3 leg puller on it, but it simply won't budge. Has anyone struggled with one of these and got it off in the end? What's the secret? Will I just have to lift it up into the hydraulic press and just use more brute force till it shifts?

Suggestions welcome :smile:

• Member Contributer

Hi Ken,  Have you managed to separate the cush drive outer from the inner ?  If not then its likely the outer bearing is seized to the axle. If yes, then its likely the inner splines are seized to the  axle.  Heat, plus gas & or shock may be required over a period of time to release it.  It took me 3 weeks on an engine bolt once.  The downside to stripping 23+ year old piece of equipment that has probably NEVER been separated in that time !

Good luck.

Currently the cush drive is one complete assembly. I've been trying to pull it all off in one go. But as it's being so stubborn, I'm going to try pulling the outer off first. Not so easy to grip that though. I may end up destroying it. Oh well, at least I never intended to actually use it. I just need to get all this stuff out of the Swing-Arm so that can be used. Oh, I need the eccentric too. You know what I'm doing with it. :smile:

• Member Contributer

The outer should come off without much of a fight, just use the sprocket lugs & a 3 leg puller.

13 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

The outer should come off without much of a fight, just use the sprocket lugs & a 3 leg puller.

That's what I'm doing. The legs of the puller are underneath the sprocket flange. In theory, the outer should simply pull off, but it's stuck on real tight.

• Member Contributer

That means the captive bearing is seized on the shaft :(  Hammer + Chisel = die seized piece of crap !  or get the grinder out.

Finally got the bugger off. It was so tight that I stripped the threads on the puller (ok, cheap puller), but was able to re-position it so using a different part of the threads and eventually the cush drive outer moved and once that was off the inner tapped off quite easily. Surprisingly, the axle doesn’t look bad. I expected a lot of corrosion, but in fact it’s just slightly stained in one patch.

Just goes to show, sometimes you really do just need brute force. 

Now I can look at what’s required to use an NC30 axle in the RC36 hub/eccentric. Mohawk’s mods relate to an RC46 hub which is wider, so won’t be the same. Might even be easier. We’ll see. 

Archived