New guy saying hello.

joeymeckels

Hello there!

I just recently bought a 1985 interceptor vf500 from friend. It needs tags but that's it. Aftermarket exhaust, upgraded cams (because of the recall) and tuned. 19k miles and really clean. I am finally getting my endorsement at the end of the month, though I am not a new rider. I can not wait to ride this beautiful example of classic 80's design.

My youngest daughter approves. 6ede5e3e9a1b62651ec1ec590d1ef2a5.jpgafea7e0c858fcb38cdbdef459cad706b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cool!  Welcome.
Nice looking 500
Thank you. When my buddy bought it for himself over a year ago I wanted it right away. Unfortunately he was in a tight spot and needed to sell one of his many bikes, so I jumped on it. He was a bike mechanic for a few decades so all his bikes run mint.

• Member Contributer

Welcome!

Needs a little cosmetic TLC on the controls, bodywork looks perfect!

Have a look at the vacuum tube running from cilinder #1 to the fuel petcock. If you see cracks/crumble, replace. (as my friend Keny on his and me on mine found out..)

Rear shock may be farked, but you will notice that if so.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH  with a seat cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me want.......

Welcome!

Needs a little cosmetic TLC on the controls, bodywork looks perfect!

Have a look at the vacuum tube running from cilinder #1 to the fuel petcock. If you see cracks/crumble, replace. (as my friend Keny on his and me on mine found out..)
Rear shock may be farked, but you will notice that if so.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH  with a seat cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me want.......

Yeah, the d-mode sticker is going away haha.
Yes, I am loving the seat cover. I am thinking about making a mold of it to reproduce them at a low cost. But I haven't put much thought into it yet.
About the rear shock, I looked in through the fsm and saw it's rebuild able. But it seems the oil seal is a little hard to come by. Is there any other options? Maybe a shock from another model?

• Member Contributer

That's a pair of cuties, bike and daughter. I'll bet the blond one will be tagging along with you in no time.

Welcome to the good side of the VFR jungle, many happy miles to you.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes, all 4 of my daughters like to go for rides. They are getting excited, but not nearly as excited as I am. 15 more days until the endorsement class!

• Member Contributer

Well Joey,

I'd be interested in a copy. And with a possible mule carrying one over to the Netherlands to avoid shipping costs....

I put new oil in my OEM shock, but as soem money came my way, bought a new YSS. So the OEM is in the attic...

YSS' are produced in Thailand but a well known Dutch suspension guru consults for them and visits the factory. As he also has parts here, he built me one locally.

Having owned/owing a Wilbers and Ohlins, I'd say the build quality is the same. Sure they donot have the name nor more years experience, but neither the markup for that name...

But before doing anything, go ride her, and push her (in a controlled fashion). See what you think/feel. Cos she will never feel like a Goldwing anyway....

Well Joey,

I'd be interested in a copy. And with a possible mule carrying one over to the Netherlands to avoid shipping costs....

I put new oil in my OEM shock, but as soem money came my way, bought a new YSS. So the OEM is in the attic...
YSS' are produced in Thailand but a well known Dutch suspension guru consults for them and visits the factory. As he also has parts here, he built me one locally.
Having owned/owing a Wilbers and Ohlins, I'd say the build quality is the same. Sure they donot have the name nor more years experience, but neither the markup for that name...

But before doing anything, go ride her, and push her (in a controlled fashion). See what you think/feel. Cos she will never feel like a Goldwing anyway....
Haha. We don't have a mule, but we do have a horse and a mini. Though I am sure the mini would just loose interest before leaving the barn. As for the suspension, I'm not looking to do anything until next winter when it gets stored. It's good to go for now, knowing my buddy rode it in his fleet and has had all the regular maintenance kept up. I'm just crawling out of skin with anticipation for riding. The sound of the Vance and Hines exhaust just taunts me to start it up all the time.

• Member Contributer

The mule is named Timmythehog who married a Dutch lady.... :goofy:

• 2 months later...

Archived