MotoGP 2018... (might include spoliers)

JZH

• Member Contributer

Since there are two of those motorcycles, they could race each other with passengers aboard...

Do you think those handles on the fuel tanks get gripped very hard?

• Member Contributer

That's a fairly typical Faceberk-style factually incorrect over-reaction (Stoner wasn't downed at Laguna Seca, Rossi just rode up the inside on the dirt) and the over-reaction of suggesting that those thinking MM went too far think it was "cold blooded murder" is unfair at best.

However it does highlight that similar things have happened before, but each incident has to be taken in its own context, every incident will be different by the very nature of racing.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

FB_IMG_1523365141666.jpg

+1... rubbing is racing...

The kid made a couple of bad split second racing decisions...

• Member Contributer

Rossi on the Duke KO'd Stoner on the Honda one year, in poor conditions, with a similar rebuff in the pits.

There is no doubt that MM is a fantastic bike rider, but he does seem to do quite a few dumb things. He must be penalised because it might kill someone, but it is hard to imagine it changing him. It seems to be in his DNA.

It certainly looks like we are in for an exciting year.

6 hours ago, Skids said:

That's a fairly typical Faceberk-style factually incorrect over-reaction (Stoner wasn't downed at Laguna Seca, Rossi just rode up the inside on the dirt) and the over-reaction of suggesting that those thinking MM went too far think it was "cold blooded murder" is unfair at best.

However it does highlight that similar things have happened before, but each incident has to be taken in its own context, every incident will be different by the very nature of racing.

And you've responded in stereotypical stuffy VFR owner fashion... while correct, it was overthought... my posting was simply an attempt at injecting some humor... 

Two wrongs don't make a right, but remind me what penalty Zarco received in the same race for the same move?

I was a bit taken back by MM's onboard video - in stark contrast to all outside angles, you can see the bobble on the brakes in the wet where he was diving into the corner later, and, amazingly, you can't see VR in the peripheral. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

And you've responded in stereotypical stuffy VFR owner fashion... while correct, it was overthought... my posting was simply an attempt at injecting some humor... 

Two wrongs don't make a right, but remind me what penalty Zarco received in the same race for the same move?

I was a bit taken back by MM's onboard video - in stark contrast to all outside angles, you can see the bobble on the brakes in the wet where he was diving into the corner later, and, amazingly, you can't see VR in the peripheral. 

It may have been an attempt at humour m8, but it was Faceberk-typically bollox disguised as humour. I've never been accused of being stuffy. A first for me! :tongue:

I agree 2 wrongs don't make a right....Zarco should have been penalised.

What we see on the camera does not necessarily translate to what the rider can see, or feel. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I didn't think Zarco actually touched Pedrosa?  Anyway, it shouldn't matter who MM clattered (though obviously knocking the Pope off the Popemobile was a bad idea...)

Ciao,

7 hours ago, JZH said:

I didn't think Zarco actually touched Pedrosa?  Anyway, it shouldn't matter who MM clattered (though obviously knocking the Pope off the Popemobile was a bad idea...)

Ciao,

Que?

https://www.motorcyclesports.net/motogp/video-pedrosa-crashed-after-violent-hit-with-zarco/

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, JZH said:

Ciao,

Cracking up thinking of Rossi in robed leathers and a pope-shaped AGV...

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

I wouldn't call that a "violent hit", but I agree it does look like he did hit him.  When I watched the race it just looked like Zarco inserted himself in a place Pedrosa did not expect to find him, and then I read many comments from people who insisted they had not touched at all.  I don't know why I didn't just assume Zarco had hit Pedrosa--he's done it to other riders many times before!

Ciao,

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Surely, it is now safe to include a spoiler from Sunday's remarkable British MotoGP...

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed ultricies fermentum urna vel tristique. Integer a rhoncus purus. Vivamus in iaculis eros, ut porta tortor. Phasellus accumsan condimentum gravida. Nam at urna porta, imperdiet turpis ac, varius risus. Vestibulum facilisis cursus euismod. Fusce dictum pulvinar quam, nec ultrices ex pellentesque eget. Fusce ornare id mi et volutpat.

Vestibulum scelerisque, nisl non consectetur pellentesque, ante neque rutrum erat, in gravida est turpis ut lectus. Cras sagittis elit ac metus gravida, id tempus lacus fermentum. Cras lacinia leo ac justo laoreet, sit amet rhoncus felis molestie. Pellentesque eget commodo leo, porttitor bibendum est. Vivamus eros risus, convallis eu aliquam vel, molestie tincidunt quam. Praesent et lorem vel augue bibendum convallis eget ac odio. Donec semper efficitur nisl nec interdum. Phasellus semper mauris accumsan varius rutrum. Etiam sagittis, ipsum et convallis sodales, erat lorem porta eros, laoreet tincidunt metus ligula vel magna. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Cras ultricies vulputate nisl, sit amet cursus mi lobortis id.

In id accumsan augue. Nam vitae massa ut tellus auctor aliquet a eget risus. Sed nec dui gravida, efficitur velit non, tincidunt mauris. Fusce diam ex, euismod et neque et, ultricies pellentesque ligula. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Duis fermentum volutpat venenatis. Mauris eget metus vitae dolor vehicula condimentum. In sit amet suscipit orci, vitae pellentesque nisl. Morbi at consectetur ante. Aliquam non sem at justo vehicula porttitor in condimentum orci. Integer maximus odio sed urna gravida, sit amet gravida leo pellentesque.

...it didn't happen!  

Looks like the recent Silverstone re-surface was a complete knob-job, with the new surface marred by horrendous new bumps and the track drainage worse than before--to the extent that the track could not be used at all during steady rain.  What a mess.  Why oh why didn't the MotoGP go back to Donington Park?  

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I said it on other forums as well, everyone got robbed by the cancellation of the British GP! For the first time in quite a while now, even the Yamahas were looking strong, MV topped two time charts and Zarco qualifying on the front row. Crutchlow was looking strong, hell even Bradly Smith qualified 8th, both his and KTMs best qualifying yet, it was looking to be a race similar to Assen.

Well, definitely a lot of apologizing going on and tons of questions from the press regarding the choice of using Silverstone.

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

I sure hope they are refunding tickets to the attendees... 

That may affect what Dorna does next.  But what about the multi-million $$ broadcasting rights?  The circuit will try to claim the cancellation was due to "the weather," thus out of their (and anyone's) hands, but I note that their initial public statement has specifically name-checked the track refurbishment contractor.  If the cancellation was actually caused by negligent refurbishment, rather than the adverse weather alone, then the contractor will be in the circuit's (lawyers') sights if they're forced to compensate punters as well as TV rights-owners...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Why didn't they just get a professional racing rider to ride the track at full pace a few weeks before the race to check whether the surface was fit for purpose? It would have identified all the bumps and given time to try to sort them.

I heard Herve Poncheral interviewed and say that they were ready to race on the Monday (a public holiday in the UK) but that 1 or more factory teams vetoed that idea.

• Member Contributer

Good luck simulating the conditions.  To schedule a MotoGP rider, on a MotoGP machine, while it is raining, would take keeping a GP bike at the circuit, and a rider on call.  Never going to happen.  The blame of this debacle is on Silverstone first and foremost, then the contractor they used for the resurfacing.  And yet, the cancellation was the right choice, someone could have died riding on a track with standing water.  Tito is in the hospital with a tibula/fibula/femur break.  He was the unlucky one, getting hit by Morbidelli’s bike at Stowe.  4-5 riders crashed in the same spot.  Imagine that in a race.  The multi-bike pileup was in FP4 and none of them were going flat out.  

• Member Contributer
On 8/28/2018 at 10:29 AM, Skids said:

Why didn't they just get a professional racing rider to ride the track at full pace a few weeks before the race to check whether the surface was fit for purpose? It would have identified all the bumps and given time to try to sort them.

I heard Herve Poncheral interviewed and say that they were ready to race on the Monday (a public holiday in the UK) but that 1 or more factory teams vetoed that idea.

If I heard them correctly in one of the press conferences/interviews, the track was fine in the early part of the year, even with rain, it wasn't until after the cars started using it that the track started to change for the worse.

Someone had suggested to one panel, that they should test tracks like they did at Qatar, by simulating rain conditions but as said above, a lot has to go into to that, so it isn't really something they would consider at the moment.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

If I heard them correctly in one of the press conferences/interviews, the track was fine in the early part of the year, even with rain, it wasn't until after the cars started using it that the track started to change for the worse.

Someone had suggested to one panel, that they should test tracks like they did at Qatar, by simulating rain conditions but as said above, a lot has to go into to that, so it isn't really something they would consider at the moment.

I wasn't talking about the wet, it was the bumps. The rain was one of those things I guess, an act of nature. The circuit is flat, the water has little place to drain.

But they should have made efforts to smooth out the bumps which were causing issues.

• Member Contributer
47 minutes ago, Skids said:

I wasn't talking about the wet, it was the bumps. The rain was one of those things I guess, an act of nature. The circuit is flat, the water has little place to drain.

But they should have made efforts to smooth out the bumps which were causing issues.

Yeah, the cars were the cause of most of  the bumps. I though someone put it that they also compressed the tarmac creating low spots, which is where the water would puddle.

Archived