MotoGP 2018... (might include spoliers)

JZH

• Member Contributer

Well, that was different!

The race weekend went from surprising (Canet's non-penalty) to astonishing (Jack Miller's qualifying attack) to bizarre (the entire MotoGP race, really), all of this playing out against a background of very frustrating weather conditions for everyone.

Austin in two weeks...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Yeah mad mad mad, Marquez should have been disqualified after his 4th infringement in one race !

• Member Contributer

Fat I4s are to blame... its no wonder a narrow V4 collides... JK people... as a 50th year Honda Rider I feel ashamed... riding red doesn't mean seeing red...

RideRed1.png

• Member Contributer

I don’t think he was necessarily seeing red, I think he saw opportunities that weren’t there! He was too focused on catching up and not seeing the potential danger of his actions. Oddly, he probably could have gotten to the same position had and kept it on the record, had he just waited a corner or two. He had the pace to walk away from everyone, he was already on his way with that when the ride through penalty came through.

As much as I like the more aggressive riding these guys are doing lately, not at the expense of ending someone’s career, or worse life! I have to say shame on him for doing some of the things he was penalized for doing, It was rather impressive however to see him cut through the pack as quickly as he did.

My fear is that there’s going to be another MM fan vs. VR fan volley of insults and name calling that’s going to tarnish this year’s racing. Hopefully it won’t and we can get to see the racing at a less tense environment. Based on the reaction from the VR garage though, looks like it might take a few races....

• Member Contributer

So true, John, what an amazing race. Granted, qualifying on pole doesn't guarantee a race win but Miller was a pretty brave lad.

25 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

I don’t think he was necessarily seeing red, I think he saw opportunities that weren’t there!

I think you just defined seeing red :wink:

• Member Contributer

From a purely selfish POV I really enjoyed this crazy race. Drama, close racing, and then more drama. Great to see Cal win, and Rins, Zarco and Miller fighting up front. And Miller's pole lap in qualifying was incredible to watch.

The best gp of 2017 for me was Phillip Island. The racing was just incredible, with some sketchy but legal passing, great entertainment. MM just took it a bit further today, but he crossed the line. While VR certainly was enjoying skewering MM in the post-race interviews, MM was just talking pure BS. I thought he had become tactical, grown up. Not!

• Member Contributer

Dang! Even with the spoiler alert, that last post named the winner in the first couple lines - up it popped. Glad everyone had fun watching it. I’ve got it recorded at home, but I’m on the road and hoping I can access it via my DirecTV remote view app without the usual 43 minutes of halting connect/disconnect/reconnect. Still haven’t yet ponied up for a MotoGP.com subscription...

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, sfdownhill said:

Dang! Even with the spoiler alert, that last post named the winner in the first couple lines - up it popped. Glad everyone had fun watching it. I’ve got it recorded at home, but I’m on the road and hoping I can access it via my DirecTV remote view app without the usual 43 minutes of halting connect/disconnect/reconnect. Still haven’t yet ponied up for a MotoGP.com subscription...

Sorry Lance. But I do believe that you will enjoy this particular race just as much, even knowing what you know.

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, St. Stephen said:

Sorry Lance. But I do believe that you will enjoy this particular race just as much, even knowing what you know.

I agree, I saw a glimpse of who won when I went to MotoGP.com but still needed to watch it. I’m one who loves watching the action, more than watching who wins.

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys. I’m not too bummed - I know I’ve got it recorded at home. I’m currently watching the spinning wheel of death as the DirecTV app fails repeatedly to connect to my home DVR (error 212, wouldn’t ya know)

• Member Contributer

First, I think MM earned his penalties, just wonder what Sets thinks of all of VR's ramblings...

• Member Contributer

Ahhhhhh Gibberisnau :-) 

"He who got his ass wupped more than once by Rossi...."....   :goofy: 

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, Egg on Leggs said:

Don't let Marc Moronez stupidity divert attention away from the incompetence of race control, all disasters start before the disasters occur.

They would fail to organise a piss-up in a brewery as well no doubt... :goofy:

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Ahhhhhh Gibberisnau :-) 

"He who got his ass wupped more than once by Rossi...."....   :goofy: 

Paybacks are hell        ........

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Egg on Leggs said:

Don't let Marc Moronez stupidity divert attention away from the incompetence of race control, all disasters start before the disasters occur.

Amen.....

Watched it on the TV, as I see it VR has always been a dirty rider, kicking handle bars (past race on MM's bike) is what is called "blantent intent to harm".

MM has never lashed out in such ways but only inserts himself to a line that only one bike fits, which I see at times as being overly aggressive.

I did like the footage of "Honda" dragging MM over to VR's pit after the race to apologize, trying to be politically correct and VR's pit didn't want to hear it.

Honda had nothing to apologize for and it backfired on them. Now they should know what type of Yamaha degenerates they are dealing with.  When VR kicked MM's handle bars couple of years ago and made him crash Yamaha didn't send VR to Honda's pit

to apologize. It's what one calls a "feud" and Honda needs to realize this, and they need a leader with a backbone, "take no prisoners".

Racing will always be a contact sport, the rules are becoming too elementary compared to the old days of racing, been watching for 45 years. Go Honda!!!

• Member Contributer

I suppose if you still believe Rossi kicked Marc's handlebar in Sepang in 2015, I can see why you think it would be relevant to what happened in Argentina...

Ciao,

I just hope Race Direction doesn't give MM any additional penalties to be imposed at the next race.  I've got tickets for Austin and it's always great to see him win in person :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer
58 minutes ago, Darrenk said:

I just hope Race Direction doesn't give MM any additional penalties to be imposed at the next race.  I've got tickets for Austin and it's always great to see him win in person :cheerleader:

Well, one thing is for sure, making him start at the back of the grid at COTA wouldn’t be the best idea. Considering he’s undefeated there and we saw what happens when he’s making up time from the back of the grid!

• Member Contributer
On 4/10/2018 at 4:34 AM, HighwayStar2009 said:

Watched it on the TV, as I see it VR has always been a dirty rider, kicking handle bars (past race on MM's bike) is what is called "blantent intent to harm".

MM has never lashed out in such ways but only inserts himself to a line that only one bike fits, which I see at times as being overly aggressive.

I did like the footage of "Honda" dragging MM over to VR's pit after the race to apologize, trying to be politically correct and VR's pit didn't want to hear it.

Honda had nothing to apologize for and it backfired on them. Now they should know what type of Yamaha degenerates they are dealing with.  When VR kicked MM's handle bars couple of years ago and made him crash Yamaha didn't send VR to Honda's pit

to apologize. It's what one calls a "feud" and Honda needs to realize this, and they need a leader with a backbone, "take no prisoners".

Racing will always be a contact sport, the rules are becoming too elementary compared to the old days of racing, been watching for 45 years. Go Honda!!!

Mine is not a Rossi vs Marquez opinion, rather I am expressing exasperation with an individual who views motorcycle roadracing as a form of contact sport - holy smokes HighwayStar. Your opinion states loudly that you've probably never ridden on a racetrack and might never have been closer to one than your TV. When you say Marquez "inserts himself to a line that only one bike fits", you define a very crucial action that every professional and amateur racer counts on his competitors NEVER to take. If was permissible to run into and bounce off another rider because you are overtaking and he happens to occupy the space you'd like to occupy at the time you'd like to occupy it, all motorcycle roadracing would become a destruction derby. No one but lunatics with crazy curlyqueues in their eyes would participate.

I finally got to watch the MotoGP race from last Sunday. At first I could not believe that the officials would take away the advantage Miller had won on the grid when he made a better tire choice than all the other competitors. When I realized that the alternative was to have the entire field [save Miller] start in a free-for-all from pit lane, the officials' actions made sense. Marquez, Zarco, Rins, and Crutchlow would have been able to close up to Miller even if he had several more seconds' advantage off the line. The racing among the front four through the race and between the last three left at the front during the final laps was some of the best I've ever seen. I cannot imagine what it feels like to be astride 200++ horsepower, feeling the tires have lost their grip [especially at the rear], choosing how to dial in more or less traction control, and on top of all that, dogfighting tooth and nail with two other top riders. Fun stuff.

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, sfdownhill said:

I cannot imagine what it feels like to be astride 200++ horsepower, 

I can......   :tongue:

fiets.thumb.jpg.0dae3d4d9814e1896983fac76f47c02a.jpg

GP16......

• Member Contributer

Hoooeeeee!!! How does one get on the list for a ride in the rear cockpit of a dual-Desmosedici? Correction, it seems the two-up is production-based:

http://www.ducati.com/2seater_experience/index.do

And here's one way to get on it:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2015/07/20/enjoy-the-ride-of-your-life-on-the-ducati-two-seater/180220

Early in my riding [mid 1990's] I took a few laps around Laguna Seca on the back of a 4th gen VFR: once ridden by Reg Pridmore and once piloted by his son Jason. No superlatives can describe what those professional racers did two-up with a stock VFR750. Jason was touching down hard parts in the turns [vdrd user RVFR experienced the same ride, different day]. What I remember most wasn't the smoothness in turns and absolutely linear deceleration through downshifts and braking, it was the way they upshifted. Before the advent of quickshifters, Reg and Jason came up through the gears like a silky Mercedes 6-speed automatic transmission. They've had me working on perfecting the smoothness of my upshifting ever since.

Archived