Honda VFR vtec 2004 abs pulsing/wobbling brake issue

Havicon

Hi.

I've got 2004 sixth gen vfr and have issue about brakes.

Front brakes gives wobbly feel when i press it but don't have that problem with linked back brake.

i've cleaned sockets, pistons and checked pads they were all fine. Im starting to think one of the discs is bent.

I might give a shot to bend it back cause in worst case scenario i need to replace it anyways.

The question is do i need to replace both front discs or can i just switch one? Does having one new and one old disc affect handling in any major ways?

If you jack the bike up you should be able to spin the front wheel to see if there is a warped rotor.

It's safe to replace just one rotor. But if both sides are pretty worn I would just replace both .

Since the bike has abs the right caliper works different then the left . The left caliper has one piston that is connected to the rear . While the front right caliper doesnt share any .  Look a picture to see how it works . 

If one rotor has more wear then the other . The thinner rotor will heat up quicker then the thicker one because there is less metal to heat up . That could put more stress on one rotor  and cause a warped rotor . 

02abscbs.gif

Here is the wear limit for the rotors . 

Front disc thickness standard 4.5mm  

Wear limit 3.5 

rear disc  thickness standard 6mm 

wear limit 5mm 

• Member Contributer

If you look at the front brake rotors they are composed of alloy centres, stainless buttons and the steel discs. I agree that you shouldn't try and straighten the discs, but the alloy centres are easily bent, and easily straightened. I've done this on my own 5G, it doesn't take much effort with a short pry bar, and a dial indicator gauge to assess where the wobble is coming from and how to correct it. Just don't pry on the steel disc, just the alloy. YMMV and all that, but it's been fine on my bike for the last 20,000km.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for answers. I wen't through everything possible on my front end. Even bend a bit that centre alloy. Didn't help at all since the disc is warped vertically (which we realised afterwards😁). You don't learn if you don't do any mistakes right?

So now im off to get new disc + pads and replace for the right side. Left side was in great condition.

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Havicon said:

Thanks for answers. I wen't through everything possible on my front end. Even bend a bit that centre alloy. Didn't help at all since the disc is warped vertically (which we realised afterwards😁). You don't learn if you don't do any mistakes right?

So now im off to get new disc + pads and replace for the right side. Left side was in great condition.

Before you buy new expensive discs have you tried freeing off the disc bobbins. These can seize if left unserviced. as the disc is semi-floating if these do not move it can mean the disc is pulled out of line by the carrier. this quite a good video by a Brit called Delboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qoPqN2GBdw

I do this as part of my spring servicing and it has cured two sets of discs of a slight wobble.

Archived