Completion of my tail swap

VFRUNNER

Here is a couple of picture of my completed tail swap .  I attached  a 2014 honda cbr1000rr tail to the back of my 6th gen vfr . And I also routed the brake lines through the swing arm  to clean everything up .  Still have to add some finishing touches . And a chainguard is in the works . 

20180330_140157.jpg

20180330_140117.jpg

20180330_140217.jpg

• Member Contributer

Because he wanted too I guess and IMHO it looks great.

Once bitten by the Farkling virus, there's no cure known to man....  :beer:

• Member Contributer
Just now, Dustin said:

a full stealth paint job, full black.

Timmy?  did you change your Timmythecop screen name to Dustin?  :goofy:

• Member Contributer

i like it too, and prob 10 lbs lighter. What are you doing with the exhaust, did it bolt straight up, and timmy is correct all black would look good

• Member Contributer

I definitely appreciate the work that went into this Runner.  Holy cow.  And really appreciated the tip for the hugger.  Not sure on the back tail swap.  Looks to expose more wheel gap.  Hmm.  I am absolutely in awe of the intent and ambition with this though. Think a chain guard is a good thing too.  The front fork looks way lowered in the yokes, worried about, but may have missed a note in your thread which explains.    If YOU like it then it's perfect. :-)

Dave

A very ambitious series of modifications and they look very clean.  Congrats.

The factory 8th Gen hugger install and fit looks great, thanks for the excellent photos. 

Will be following you with installing one on my 6th Gen.  My rear shock thanks you. :beer:

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Looks great. Did your riding position change much? Looks like you might be sitting a little higher now... more aggressive. VFR800R.

32 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

Looks great. Did your riding position change much? Looks like you might be sitting a little higher now... more aggressive. VFR800R.

It rides much better . The feel of it is like you have more control, as if your one with the bike . The seat is roughly 1.5 inch higher.  The overall position doesn't feel to aggressive.  I'm 6.2 height. Really happy with the way it all turned out. 

Where I notice the most difference is the weight. I haven't got the chance to put it on a scale but, I'm thinking I dropped at least 55 pounds from stock.  I will post once I get the numbers.    it's a lot faster then it was before  .

Here are some picture of the right side,  just finished the exhaust on the weekend.  And some updated pictures of sebs clutch cover. With pro bolts hardware . 

20180404_111650.jpg

20180404_111755.jpg

20180404_111810.jpg

20180404_111826.jpg

20180404_111841.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 3/30/2018 at 10:15 PM, Dutchy said:

Timmy?  did you change your Timmythecop screen name to Dustin?  :goofy:

Eh? :blink:

• Member Contributer

Runner, you've done excellent work with this build.  The fact the seat is 1.5" higher means your legs will thank you. :-)  It also looks from these shots that the subframe punts you more forward which always helps with handling. 

Cheers! :beer:

Dave

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, VFRUNNER said:

It rides much better . The feel of it is like you have more control, as if your one with the bike . The seat is roughly 1.5 inch higher.  The overall position doesn't feel to aggressive.  I'm 6.2 height. Really happy with the way it all turned out. 

Where I notice the most difference is the weight. I haven't got the chance to put it on a scale but, I'm thinking I dropped at least 55 pounds from stock.  I will post once I get the numbers.    it's a lot faster then it was before  .

It looks great!! Completely transformed the look, and at 6'2 sure it fits you better, it looks like a bigger bike now. 55 is a big number, i would guess closer to 25. You could Lose the centerstand, delink, 520 chain lightweight sprocket, galfer rear rotor 

• Member Contributer

Good effort with the tail, apart from the seat, I guess the fillets & seat cutout is to hide the VFR bits that are higher than the sub-frame rails !

What have you done to stop it trying to pivot around the top mount ?  The bottom extensions don't appear to have any bracing or lugs to positively connect them to the new sub-frame !?

But just remember your ear plugs  & a distribution system in front of you with ear plugs for the poor people that have to suffer that open exhaust :(

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Good effort with the tail, apart from the seat, I guess the fillets & seat cutout is to hide the VFR bits that are higher than the sub-frame rails !

What have you done to stop it trying to pivot around the top mount ?  The bottom extensions don't appear to have any bracing or lugs to positively connect them to the new sub-frame !?

But just remember your ear plugs  & a distribution system in front of you with ear plugs for the poor people that have to suffer that open exhaust :(

The top brace is connected with a grade 8 high tension steel bolt and to deal with the gap because the tail is much wider where it connect I made some spacers . Its torqued to 200in-lb. 

The bottom is connected with a H brace. From tail to subframe.   I had to say its stronger then it needs to be .  

For the seat I had to fill the space so I took a piece from the old seat pan and plastic weld it to the cbr1000rr pan .

20180203_173040.jpg

20180320_182216.jpg

20180317_162821.jpg

20180312_213015.jpg

20180227_101429.jpg

Archived